Setup problem with MINIX 2.0 - Minix

This is a discussion on Setup problem with MINIX 2.0 - Minix ; Hello everybody! I'm currently installing MINIX 2.0 on a spare machine. I've got the basic system installed, but now I want to install the MINIX-sources and the manpages. I tried to copy SYS.TAZ to a floppy using the fdvol program ...

  1. Setup problem with MINIX 2.0

    Hello everybody!
    I'm currently installing MINIX 2.0 on a spare machine. I've got the basic
    system installed, but now I want to install the MINIX-sources and the
    manpages. I tried to copy SYS.TAZ to a floppy using the fdvol program that
    is on the CD. With fdvol everything works fine, but it seems as if MINIX
    (or the setup-program) has some problems in reading the disk. when I type

    setup /

    with the CD inserted, the program starts copying. After some time the
    following error message is displayed on the console:

    [...]
    man/man1/uniq.1: 03 tape blocks
    Out of i-nodes on root device 3/128
    Out of i-nodes on root device 3/128
    cannot create man/man1/unshar.1: file table overflow
    Tar: header checksum error.
    Done.

    What am I doing wrong? I also used different floppy disks, but I still get
    this error message. And even worse: I can't transfer the second part of the
    floppy set to the disk due to this error.

    Thanks in advance,
    Andi

  2. Re: Setup problem with MINIX 2.0

    > Is /usr mounted?
    yes

    > If /usr is mounted, use "df -i" to see how many inodes you have

    df only shows me the table header, but no data. That is really strange...

    > then umount /usr and use "mkfs -i [number] [device]" to create a
    > new filesystem with more inodes (this will erase everything that was in
    > /usr).

    I will give that a try. Thanks for your help so far.

    Andi

  3. Re: Setup problem with MINIX 2.0

    The correct command would be "setup /usr" - "setup /" tries to install on
    the root partition which is not what you want. You should not have to
    recreate the filesystems at all but you need to remove whatever was
    mistakenly installed on / by setup. / is very small and is not meant to be
    larger than what can be held on a 1.44MB flopy.

    --Larry

    "Andi Drebes" wrote in message
    news:43ff4ae0$0$49420$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...
    > Hello everybody!
    > I'm currently installing MINIX 2.0 on a spare machine. I've got the basic
    > system installed, but now I want to install the MINIX-sources and the
    > manpages. I tried to copy SYS.TAZ to a floppy using the fdvol program that
    > is on the CD. With fdvol everything works fine, but it seems as if MINIX
    > (or the setup-program) has some problems in reading the disk. when I type
    >
    > setup /
    >
    > with the CD inserted, the program starts copying. After some time the
    > following error message is displayed on the console:
    >
    > [...]
    > man/man1/uniq.1: 03 tape blocks
    > Out of i-nodes on root device 3/128
    > Out of i-nodes on root device 3/128
    > cannot create man/man1/unshar.1: file table overflow
    > Tar: header checksum error.
    > Done.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong? I also used different floppy disks, but I still get
    > this error message. And even worse: I can't transfer the second part of

    the
    > floppy set to the disk due to this error.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Andi

  4. Re: Setup problem with MINIX 2.0

    Larry Sonderling wrote:

    > The correct command would be "setup /usr" - "setup /" tries to install on
    > the root partition which is not what you want. You should not have to
    > recreate the filesystems at all but you need to remove whatever was
    > mistakenly installed on / by setup. / is very small and is not meant to
    > be larger than what can be held on a 1.44MB flopy.

    Thanks. Now it works perfectly. I'm just wondering about what drove me to
    try to install the data on / and not on /usr ...

    Andi

+ Reply to Thread