ethernet cards - Minix

This is a discussion on ethernet cards - Minix ; Is there a listing of usable ethernet cards available? I've been wanting to try my hand a Unix version for quite some time and then I stumbled onto the Minix site. Having a couple ole '486s sitting idle it seemed ...

  1. ethernet cards

    Is there a listing of usable ethernet cards available? I've been
    wanting to try my hand a Unix version for quite some time and then I
    stumbled onto the Minix site. Having a couple ole '486s sitting idle
    it seemed ideal. Problem is I only have a couple of 3Com 3C509 NICs to
    use. I think that's the designation. I still haven't dug them out
    yet.

    If they aren't usable, then the project rapidly becomes an exercise in
    frustration.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: ethernet cards

    C'mon guys, a little help here. Still looking for a list of usable
    NIC's to go with Minix. Is there a list anywhere????

    Bill

    Keller Racing
    "Performance By Design"
    KellerRcng@cs.com
    http://ourworld.cs.com/KellerRcng/index.htm

  3. Re: ethernet cards

    In article <1140739672.894924.274210@t39g2000cwt.googlegroups. com>,
    TrmptRacer wrote:
    >Is there a listing of usable ethernet cards available? I've been
    >wanting to try my hand a Unix version for quite some time and then I
    >stumbled onto the Minix site. Having a couple ole '486s sitting idle
    >it seemed ideal. Problem is I only have a couple of 3Com 3C509 NICs to
    >use. I think that's the designation. I still haven't dug them out
    >yet.
    >
    >If they aren't usable, then the project rapidly becomes an exercise in
    >frustration.

    Well, the 3c509 is supposed to be supported, but I never had much luck
    with 3com cards.

    What tends to work are NE2000 and Western Digital (SMC) cards.

  4. Re: ethernet cards

    Philip Homburg wrote:

    > Well, the 3c509 is supposed to be supported, but I never had much luck
    > with 3com cards.
    >
    > What tends to work are NE2000 and Western Digital (SMC) cards.

    Did you ever had problems with 3c509? After the porting to Minix3 I
    didn't had the possibility to test it under stress. But I used the
    Minix2 version in a busy intranet network for several months.

    I would appreciate any feedback.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  5. Re: ethernet cards

    In article ,
    Giovanni wrote:
    >Did you ever had problems with 3c509?

    I think so. Kees Bot had a stack of 3c509s and couldn't get them to work
    either. I probably tried the original 3c509 driver in Minix-vmd. I don't
    know if more recent versions are better.

  6. Re: ethernet cards

    Philip Homburg wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Giovanni wrote:
    >> Did you ever had problems with 3c509?

    > I think so. Kees Bot had a stack of 3c509s and couldn't get them to work
    > either. I probably tried the original 3c509 driver in Minix-vmd. I don't
    > know if more recent versions are better.

    As I wrote in my previous message I used the 2.0.x driver in a very
    loaded network without problems. 3c509 are PnP devices, but Minix
    isn't, so you have to use the setup disk to disable PnP and set I/O
    address and Interrupt.

    Regarding the 3.0.x driver I only tested it in a 3 boxes network.
    I have some doubts on the lock()/unlock() implementation that I could
    not really test under stress, especially with many asynchronous events,
    but I got good transfer speeds (over 500 kByte/sec).

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.
    Registered Linux user #337974

  7. Re: ethernet cards

    Sorry about the delay in getting back on this group.

    No, I never had any problems with the 3c509's. Had them running in an
    early NetBEUI Win 3.11 network of 2 or 3 computers.

    Hmmm, after reading the balance of the posts responding to my request,
    maybe I have 3c503's. I do know they are ISA's, not PCI. I still
    haven't been able to find them in my boxes of "stuff" but I know
    they're in there somewhere.

    Thanks for the responses.

  8. Re: ethernet cards

    TrmptRacer wrote:
    > Sorry about the delay in getting back on this group.
    >
    > No, I never had any problems with the 3c509's. Had them running in an
    > early NetBEUI Win 3.11 network of 2 or 3 computers.
    >
    > Hmmm, after reading the balance of the posts responding to my request,
    > maybe I have 3c503's. I do know they are ISA's, not PCI. I still
    > haven't been able to find them in my boxes of "stuff" but I know
    > they're in there somewhere.
    >
    > Thanks for the responses.

    I have a working (finally!) 3c509 (verified, i did the whole nine
    years...) and I will be using it in my Minix box as soon as i find a
    means of changing config without reinstalling. I don't know Minix 3
    config real well, so i can't chage the loaded ethernet driver, sorry.

  9. Re: ethernet cards

    All,

    > I have a working (finally!) 3c509 (verified, i did the whole nine
    > years...) and I will be using it in my Minix box as soon as i find a
    > means of changing config without reinstalling. I don't know Minix 3
    > config real well, so i can't chage the loaded ethernet driver, sorry.

    You 'only' have to edit /etc/inet.conf to set the driver you want to
    use (currently lance, rtl8139, fxp, dpeth, or dp8390) in a line such as

    eth0 fxp 0 { default; };

    (but see inet.conf manpage for details). The startup script will then
    start the proper driver automagically. See /usr/etc/rc to see how
    that's done.

    =Ben

  10. About the ethernet card driver : NE/Intel 211140

    philip:

    Hello!
    I have installed Minix3 on the VPC2004 under the Win2k,
    but I can not find any infomation that descrip how to
    config the network correctly. After search the www , I
    know the netcard type on the VPC2004 is DE/Intel 211140
    ,but the Minix3 have not it's driver. Then I have to
    run the Minix3 on the VMWare(AMD Lance) or Bochs(Ne2000).
    Will you write that driver for VPC2004 (authough it is
    production Microsoft )?

  11. Re: About the ethernet card driver : NE/Intel 211140

    wzh823@tom.com wrote:
    > philip:
    >
    > Hello!
    > I have installed Minix3 on the VPC2004 under the Win2k,
    > but I can not find any infomation that descrip how to
    > config the network correctly. After search the www , I
    > know the netcard type on the VPC2004 is DE/Intel 211140
    > ,but the Minix3 have not it's driver. Then I have to
    > run the Minix3 on the VMWare(AMD Lance) or Bochs(Ne2000).
    > Will you write that driver for VPC2004 (authough it is
    > production Microsoft )?

    Someone will probably put it on a to-do list somewhere, hell it may just
    pop out of thin air... I sure couldn't do it, I don't do drivers ^^

    -segin

+ Reply to Thread