Intel Pro/100 VE - Minix

This is a discussion on Intel Pro/100 VE - Minix ; Hi, i've an Intel PRO/100 VE onboard network chip in my desktop. Now Minix3 should be able to handle the PRO/100 network chips, that's what i've read in the setup documentation. But after i've installed Minix3, and choosed the PRO/100, ...

  1. Intel Pro/100 VE

    Hi,
    i've an Intel PRO/100 VE onboard network chip in my desktop.
    Now Minix3 should be able to handle the PRO/100 network chips, that's
    what i've read in the setup documentation.

    But after i've installed Minix3, and choosed the PRO/100, i can't
    ifconfig, it says:
    "can't open /dev/ip, no such file or device" or something like that.
    The files /dev/ip and /dev/ip0 are there.
    With the command "dhcpd", i am even not able to get any connection.

    Is the PRO/100 VE chipset different to the PRO/100 chipset and not
    supported?
    Will it be hard to port the PRO/100 driver?

    Or is it my fault, and i do something wrong setting up the network?

    Greets,
    Marco

  2. Re: Intel Pro/100 VE

    Hi Marco,

    You have to create 2 files and modify 1. Here are mines:

    /etc/dhcp.conf:
    ==========

    host 192.168.0.0/16 {};
    client 00:4f:4e:0b:0c:ef Minix3;
    client 00:40:f4:ba:c0:17 Linux10;

    /etc/hosts:
    =======

    127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.10.103 Minix3
    192.168.129.101 Linux10

    /etc/hostname.file:
    =============

    Minix3

    My /etc/inet.conf was originally set by the installation to:

    eth0 rtl8139 { default; };

    but in your case will be different.

  3. Re: Intel Pro/100 VE

    Welll, nothing of that worked.
    Perhaps it helps to tell you guys that it's an onboard ethernet chip,
    no external card.

    Anyone knows a way to configure that thing?

  4. Re: Intel Pro/100 VE

    In article <1141544418.271238.240440@t39g2000cwt.googlegroups. com>,
    mgr wrote:
    >Welll, nothing of that worked.
    >Perhaps it helps to tell you guys that it's an onboard ethernet chip,
    >no external card.
    >
    >Anyone knows a way to configure that thing?

    The first step is to make sure that the FXP driver actually recognizes the
    card.

    Add 'pci_debug=1' to boot environment, check whether the ethernet card
    is listed in the pci debug output. Next, verify that the PCI device and
    vendor IDs are listed in the little table in fxp.c.

    And of course, use ps to find out whether fxp and inet are started at all.