Peter Boonstoppel's audio drivers - Minix

This is a discussion on Peter Boonstoppel's audio drivers - Minix ; Peter Boonstoppel's audio drivers + framework are available as easypack package using 'easypack audio-1.0.0'. The location of the file is http://www.minix3.org/beta_software/audio-1.0.0.tar.bz2 Test reports are welcome. =Ben...

  1. Peter Boonstoppel's audio drivers

    Peter Boonstoppel's audio drivers + framework are available as easypack
    package using 'easypack audio-1.0.0'. The location of the file is
    http://www.minix3.org/beta_software/audio-1.0.0.tar.bz2

    Test reports are welcome.

    =Ben

  2. Re: Peter Boonstoppel's audio drivers

    I get:

    cc: /usr/lib/em_opt: Exec format error

  3. Re: Peter Boonstoppel's audio drivers

    Hi Daniel,

    I've just installed both of the drivers without any problems - I
    certainly didn't get the error that you reported. Here are the steps
    that I took after unpacking and copying the audio/ subdirectory into
    /usr/src/drivers (maybe it's easier with easypack... I like to unpack
    archives manually):

    # cd /usr/src/drivers/audio/sb16
    # make
    exec cc -c -I/usr/include sb16.c
    exec cc -c -I/usr/include mixer.c
    exec cc -c ../framework/audio_fw.c
    exec cc -o sb16 -i sb16.o mixer.o audio_fw.o -lsys -lsysutil
    # cd ../es1371
    # make
    exec cc -c -I/usr/include es1371.c
    exec cc -c -I/usr/include SRC.c
    exec cc -c -I/usr/include codec.c
    exec cc -c -I/usr/include wait.c
    exec cc -c ../framework/audio_fw.c
    cd ../../libpci && make
    exec cc -c -I/usr/include pci.c
    exec cc -c -I/usr/include pci_table.c
    exec cc -o es1371 -i es1371.o SRC.o codec.o wait.o audio_fw.o
    .../../libpci/pci.o ../../libpci/pci_table.o -lsys -lsysutil
    #

    Can you reproduce the error that you reported earlier? I'd be
    interested in knowing what steps are required to reproduce the error.

    Regards,

    Michael

    Daniel wrote:
    > I get:
    >
    > cc: /usr/lib/em_opt: Exec format error

  4. Re: Peter Boonstoppel's audio drivers

    This is the reproduction or the error:

    # cd /usr/src/drivers/audio/sb16
    # make

    exec cc -c -I/usr/include/sb16.c
    cc: /usr/lib/em_opt : Exec format error
    make in /usr/src/drivers/audio/sb: Exit code 1

    And I have found that if I try to compile some other program, i get
    the same oputput:

    " cc: /usr/lib/em_opt : Exec format error "

    So I believe that is rather a problem of the compiler than of the
    sources to compile.

    Thank you for your reply.

  5. Compiler wierdness (em_opt corrupted)

    Hi Daniel,

    > So I believe that is rather a problem of the compiler than of the
    > sources to compile.

    Agreed. The question is how did this situation arise (or what caused
    /usr/lib/em_opt to become corrupted)? Have you tried (at some point) to
    rebuild the compiler (e.g. using the ackpack distribution)? To get your
    system working again it will be necessary to reinstall the original
    em_opt (and possibly other files) from the system image.

    Before making any changes, could you send me a copy of the results of
    'ls -l /usr/lib' and 'ls -l /usr/lib/ego'.

    Regards,

    Michael

  6. And old hardware too

    Hi Michael,

    Well, the case is that I have Minix installed in an old machine. I get
    warnings when reading de CD about "timeouts". As both the CD reader and
    the hard drive are old, I ignore which of them is to blame for
    "timeouts".

    In fact, I share Linux Slackware 10.1 an Windows 98 in the same
    machine, and in them "timeouts" are inexistent.

    So, I have reinstalled, I have mounted the CD (c0d3p1 and later c0d3p2)
    on /mnt and I have copied again all the stuff manually fully
    overwritting /sbin and /usr.

    This way I have succeeded to compile and install sb. Now I have to test
    it. But I am not very confident because the sound chip (8330 sb
    compatible) is embedded into the motherboard, although apparently it
    accepts the start of the sound service without protests.

    Regards,

    Daniel

  7. Re: Peter Boonstoppel's audio drivers

    All,

    > This is the reproduction or the error:
    >
    > # cd /usr/src/drivers/audio/sb16
    > # make
    >
    > exec cc -c -I/usr/include/sb16.c
    > cc: /usr/lib/em_opt : Exec format error
    > make in /usr/src/drivers/audio/sb: Exit code 1
    >
    > And I have found that if I try to compile some other program, i get
    > the same oputput:
    >
    > " cc: /usr/lib/em_opt : Exec format error "
    >
    > So I believe that is rather a problem of the compiler than of the
    > sources to compile.

    One of the possibilities is that the 'chmem' size of em_opt has been
    set to 0, or some other funny value, somehow, which may happen if
    binsizes is invoked but does wrong things. (Not that I've heard of this
    happening, but it would explain the error message.) I've read downstream
    of this thread that you've reinstalled, but you may have tried examining
    the chmem size of em_opt, and running 'binsizes normal'..

    =Ben

+ Reply to Thread