Develop Minix applications - Minix

This is a discussion on Develop Minix applications - Minix ; Hello! I'm studing Computing Technical Engineering in Valladolid (Spain) and actually I'm in te last course of the career so I'm looking for "end career project" (A project that I must do to finish the career). The past year I ...

  1. Develop Minix applications

    Hello!

    I'm studing Computing Technical Engineering in Valladolid (Spain) and
    actually I'm in te last course of the career so I'm looking for "end
    career project" (A project that I must do to finish the career).

    The past year I had a subject where I worked with Minix2 and this like
    me. For this I want to do my "end career project" about Minix3. I've
    thinked that I can develop a group of necessaries aplications for
    Minix. First of all I need to know what kind of applications are
    necesary, what are de requirement to be included in Minix3 and other
    things I'll must know.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Develop Minix applications

    I can suggest you to fix the backwards compatibility of Minix 3 with
    the old filesystems V2 an V1. You can discover soon that Minix 3 has
    the big defect of being incompatible with their old filesystem
    versions. The fixing of it is quite simple because few things have to
    be introduced: a new structure for the old model of superblock, and a
    fixing of the functions readdir() and rewinddir() to allow for the old
    directory pointers of 2 bytes.

    Once this is arranged, a fixing of the command mkfs is also necessary.
    What this command produces is a "reinvented" version of the genuine V2
    and V1 filesystems, absolutely incompatible with them.

    You can get inspiration about the internals of the way to do it having
    a look of my code of the update of the Linux kernel to Minix filesystem
    V3: http://www.terra.es/personal2/danarag/

+ Reply to Thread