Building Minix ISO - Minix

This is a discussion on Building Minix ISO - Minix ; How do I build an ISO image of Minix after I modify the source code and add some extra stuff. I can create a bootable floppy using fdboot but unfortunately I don't have a floppy drive. So I wanted to ...

  1. Building Minix ISO

    How do I build an ISO image of Minix after I modify the source code and
    add some extra stuff. I can create a bootable floppy using fdboot but
    unfortunately I don't have a floppy drive. So I wanted to create a
    bootable CD.

    Any help???

  2. Re: Building Minix ISO

    All,

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 20:01:45 -0600, Deepak Rathi wrote:
    > How do I build an ISO image of Minix after I modify the source code and
    > add some extra stuff. I can create a bootable floppy using fdboot but
    > unfortunately I don't have a floppy drive. So I wanted to create a
    > bootable CD.

    If you don't mind its quirks, look at /usr/src/tools/release.sh to make
    you a release (which is a bootable iso).

    =Ben

  3. Re: Building Minix ISO

    Whats up Rathi, even if you make an ISO how r u going to transfer it to
    a windows or linux file system?? hv you thought about it??

    For CS551 here is what I can suggest you.

    There are three steps to create a bootable CD:

    1) Create an image of the new modified minix system

    Options : ---

    a) Fix release.sh to work for you as suggested by Ben. I have not tried
    it but it may need some work. (e.g setting up ramsize to 2000 at boot
    monitor ).

    b)(This will not work if you dont hv a floppy) Create a bootable floppy
    using usual "make fdboot" method
    then use: "dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/myboot.img" to copy the bootable
    floppy back to the system into a single file called myboot.img.
    Then copy it to a dos floppy by using

    Doswrite myboot.img a:/myboot.img (syntax of this command may not be
    right)

    c) use a custom script which I wrote by hacking /usr/src/tools/mkboot
    script simply run :

    make clean
    make image
    mkboot cdfdboot

    and an image file named "cdfdimage" will be ready to be copied on to a
    dos floppy. I can send this script to you if you want.

    2) Somehow copy that image to a windows machine.
    Options a) use the dos floppy to copy back the image to windows
    b) setup network on minix to send and receive files over
    FTP
    c) use serial or USB communication
    d) (my case) have linux installed and patch it to read
    minixFS
    Linux supports all partitions in the world so , files
    can
    Be moved anywhere. Thanks to Daniel for his patches
    and help. The kernel patches can be downloaded from here:
    http://www.terra.es/personal2/danarag/
    or from Willy's Tarreau collection:
    http://w.ods.org/linux/kernel/2.4/lkup/minixfs-v3.html
    (Check Daniel's posts)

    3) Once you get the image onto your windows machine, use "UltraISO" or
    any CD writing software to make a bootable CD. Ultra ISO gives option
    to specify the boot file, just specify the copied myboot.img file as
    Boot file. And Write a CD.

    Using CD has benefits: Similar to the Minix Os CD distributed with book
    , this CD will contain 2 filesystems:
    1) CDFS (readable by windows, where author (Andy) keeps his Source code
    pdfs and htms)

    2) Minix FS which is readable by minix only. I can copy my modified
    source code in both File systems, so it will be helpful to access and
    read.

    Let me know if you questions. I have sent this to Dr.Manov and his TA
    will be posting these procedures after simplification and testing on to
    the blackboard

    Regards,
    Abhinav

  4. Re: Building Minix ISO

[...]

    Boot file. And Write a CD. If you are able to use release to construct
    ISO image, then its simpler.

    Using CD has benefits: Similar to the Minix Os CD distributed with book

    , this CD will contain 2 filesystems:
    1) CDFS (readable by windows, where author (Andy) keeps his Source code

    pdfs and htms)

    2) Minix FS which is readable by minix only. I can copy my modified
    source code in both File systems, so it will be helpful to access and
    read.

    Let me know if you questions. I have sent this to Professor and his TA
    will be posting these procedures on to the blackboard after
    simplification and testing

    Regards,
    Abhinav

+ Reply to Thread