national language keyboards - Minix

This is a discussion on national language keyboards - Minix ; I believe that the next step in MINIX 3 internationalization, after the translation of the documentation to other languages should be a MINIX 3 page that would offer national languages keyboards for certain languages. Is there any documentation that could ...

  1. national language keyboards

    I believe that the next step in MINIX 3 internationalization, after the
    translation of the documentation to other languages should be a MINIX 3
    page that would offer national languages keyboards for certain languages. Is
    there any documentation that could give the guidelines for people to develop
    and implement national keyboards?

    Christos

  2. Re: national language keyboards

    Christos Karayiannis wrote:
    > I believe that the next step in MINIX 3 internationalization, after the
    > translation of the documentation to other languages should be a MINIX 3
    > page that would offer national languages keyboards for certain languages. Is
    > there any documentation that could give the guidelines for people to develop
    > and implement national keyboards?
    >
    > Christos

    You might want to also add some i18n functions to the libc.

  3. Re: national language keyboards

    All,

    > I believe that the next step in MINIX 3 internationalization, after the
    > translation of the documentation to other languages should be a MINIX 3
    > page that would offer national languages keyboards for certain languages. Is
    > there any documentation that could give the guidelines for people to develop
    > and implement national keyboards?

    There are already quite a few there as you notice when you run setup.
    For the sources of these keymaps, see /usr/src/drivers/tty/keymaps. If
    you add one there and add it to the Makefile, it'll get installed and
    picked up by setup too. If you put it online, it can be included in
    the distribution.

    =Ben

  4. Re: national language keyboards

    I would like to develop Greek fonts. Is there any documents about the fnt
    file format and the keymap format? I have found in the web some tools for
    editing font files (fnt) but they don't recognize the Minix specific .fnt
    format.

    Christos

  5. Re: national language keyboards

    In article <1139419725.738711@athnrd02>,
    Christos Karayiannis wrote:
    >I would like to develop Greek fonts. Is there any documents about the fnt
    >file format and the keymap format? I have found in the web some tools for
    >editing font files (fnt) but they don't recognize the Minix specific .fnt
    >format.

    Minix font files come in three formats: 8x16, 8x14, 8x8 and a compound
    format that is simply 8x16, 8x14 and an 8x8 font file of the same sort
    concatenated together. There are no headers or anything, font files
    are just raw pixel data. The files in /usr/lib/fonts/ are compound
    fonts if Andy's mad code monkeys^W^W^W smart programming team didn't
    touch them.

    The loadfont knows what it's dealing with by looking at the size of the
    file it is to load. With the 'dd' utility you should be able to do the
    same. If I see it right (untested):

    (dd count=256 bs=16 of=font8x16
    dd count=256 bs=14 of=font8x14
    dd count=256 bs=8 of=font8x8) < compound_font

    A simple 'cat font8x16 font8x14 font8x8' > compound_font' should do the
    opposite.

    The font files were found under Linux or one of the BSD variants I
    think. I merely put them together in compound fonts so loadfont would
    be able to load the right sized characters automatically. Maybe you
    can find a greek console font somewhere in three sizes that you can
    also simply concatenate together.

    To create a new keymap copy us-std.src and replace the characters by
    what you see written on your keyboard on the keys in the same place.
    Read /usr/include/minix/keymap.h to know what macros you can use.
    --
    Kees J. Bot, Systems Programmer, Sciences dept., Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam

  6. Re: national language keyboards

    Just a few questions before I try to implement it:
    Is it mandatory for a new font to include in the first part the English
    characters? Is this in order to use the shell commands properly? Which key
    combination should I use to swap from English to the other language? Or
    someone has to reload the English fonts and keymap? Can I use all Minix
    editors? What about the shell?

    Christos

  7. Re: national language keyboards

    How can I handle accent? Greek words in lowercase letters need to be
    accented. The accent mark (`) in the Greek keyboard is placed on the letter
    with the combination:

    ';' + letter.

    Does this mean that I have to modify keymap.h to implement a new macro? How
    was this handled by other languages' keymaps (German, Spanish, etc) ?

    Christos

  8. Re: national language keyboards

    Christos Karayiannis wrote:
    > How can I handle accent? Greek words in lowercase letters need to be
    > accented. The accent mark (`) in the Greek keyboard is placed on the letter
    > with the combination:
    >
    > ';' + letter.
    >
    > Does this mean that I have to modify keymap.h to implement a new macro? How
    > was this handled by other languages' keymaps (German, Spanish, etc) ?

    I had a patch for this (for 2.0.0 and 2.0.3), dunno how much did the
    driver change. It was rather an unclean one, but if you would like to
    look at it, send me a notice in directly (I don't read this newsgroup
    all the time).

    Vit Herman

+ Reply to Thread