increasing directories using mkfs - Minix

This is a discussion on increasing directories using mkfs - Minix ; I am trying to figure out how to add more directories under /. for this I need to make an image with the required directories and pass it as an arg to mkfs? is this right? How am i to ...

  1. increasing directories using mkfs

    I am trying to figure out how to add more directories under /. for this
    I need to make an image with the required directories and pass it as an
    arg to mkfs? is this right? How am i to make this proto_type image with
    the new directories? Thanks
    prasanth

  2. Re: increasing directories using mkfs

    Grue's Guide To Adding Disk
    _______________________

    Here is what I have done, granted, this procedure only works for whole
    disks. A method using partitions should be very similar. I use it in
    vmware with 2G virtual disks and on actual hardware with 1G - 3G disks.

    For example, I have added a second 2G disk to my vmware partition and boot
    up Minix. My new disk is /dev/c0d1.

    Log in as root
    mkfs -B 4096 /dev/c0d1
    echo 'data=/dev/c0d1' >> /etc/fstab

    Now, use part to create the new partition record for the new disk.
    Basically, just make it the full size of the disk and q to save.
    Next, test to make sure you can mount it. I want to mount it under /data,
    so I do the following:

    mkdir /data
    mount /dev/c0d1 /data

    That works fine, so now I unmount it

    umount /dev/c0d1

    and do an fsck just to be sure

    fsck /dev/c0d1

    All is well, and I want it to mount automatically on startup, so I add the
    following line to /etc/rc

    mount /dev/c0d1 /data

    Reboot and it is there!

    The procedure for a real hard disk is the same.

    The Grue

    "prasanth" wrote in message
    news:1136796443.347791.313040@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > I am trying to figure out how to add more directories under /. for this
    > I need to make an image with the required directories and pass it as an
    > arg to mkfs? is this right? How am i to make this proto_type image with
    > the new directories? Thanks
    > prasanth

+ Reply to Thread