How can I get source package of lib in the minix3 system?Help.... - Minix

This is a discussion on How can I get source package of lib in the minix3 system?Help.... - Minix ; I like to do some minix3 development in linux system.But in the kernel source of minix3 , it is no lib source . And it is hard to get source package of lib in the minix3 system? So how to ...

  1. How can I get source package of lib in the minix3 system?Help....

    I like to do some minix3 development in linux system.But in the kernel
    source of minix3 , it is no lib source . And it is hard to get source
    package of lib in the minix3 system?
    So how to get these source package? It seems to exist in /usr/src/lib
    in the minix3 filesystem. But I can not find an effective way to
    extract it to my linux host.

  2. Re: How can I get source package of lib in the minix3 system?Help....

    blackfin.kang@gmail.com wrote:
    > I like to do some minix3 development in linux system.But in the kernel
    > source of minix3 , it is no lib source . And it is hard to get source
    > package of lib in the minix3 system?
    > So how to get these source package? It seems to exist in /usr/src/lib
    > in the minix3 filesystem. But I can not find an effective way to
    > extract it to my linux host.

    Good question! Why isn't the COMPLETE source provided? I have to refuse
    to install minix just to get to the source code. Only M$ plays these
    kind of games and I hope this was an honest mistake by the minix
    maintainer(s). Even if I installed minix on my linux box, I wouldn't be
    able to ftp/upload the sources to linux because:
    1) Minix does not read/write linux partitions.
    2) my wifi/ethernet cards are not supported.
    3) Minix and linux cannot run on my machine at the same time.

    minix3.org should not be using the phrase open source. They should
    clearly state that complete source is available if you install minix on
    your machine. Or simply make all the source available with no strings
    attached.

  3. Re: How can I get source package of lib in the minix3 system?Help....

    Ya know, I'm a bit incredulous of people who express a wish
    to develop for an OS they refuse to run...

    3ch

  4. Re: How can I get source package of lib in the minix3 system?Help....

    Yes , I try a lot of ways that transfer lib source to my linux host.
    But it is too difficult. Another reason my machine is that my machine
    is no IDE or floppy device. That is a little boring.

  5. Re: How can I get source package of lib in the minix3 system?Help....

    It is easy to extract the full set of minix sources from the CD using
    the 'rip3' utility. You can download this from
    http://www.minix3.org/beta_software/rip3.tar.bz2 (source code),
    http://laurasia.com.au/downloads/rip3.tgz (also the source code); or
    even http://laurasia.com.au/downloads/rip3.zip (source code along with
    a windows binary).

    See
    http://groups.google.com.au/group/co...3428a21754cd21
    for more details.

  6. Re: How can I get source package of lib in the minix3 system?Help....

    colonel_hack@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Ya know, I'm a bit incredulous of people who express a wish
    > to develop for an OS they refuse to run...
    >
    > 3ch

    One does not necessarily have to use minix to develop minix. The thing
    barely supports modern hardware. How do I connect to my bootloader
    through wifi or USB serial console? I am only interested in running
    minix as an embedded os. I already have a desktop os that works very
    well. My cross compiler works too. I am not going to waste my time
    re-inventing the wheel and pretending to be Linus or RMS. Instead, I
    am going to "stand on the shoulders of giants" and solve the unique
    problems that need to be worked on, e.g porting my ecos wifi driver to
    ARM minix.

    By the way I still refuse to run minix3 just to get the source and for
    your information I am currently running minix 1.5 on several arm
    boards:

    1) iPAQ H3900 with XScale PXA250 processor
    2) Linksys NSLU2 network storage link ( XScale ixp420 processor )
    3) Linksys WMA11B wireless media adapter ( XScale PXA255 )

    I have also ported and run eCos on ARM boards (including 1,2 and 3) for
    years, so I have pcmcia, wireless, rs232, infrared, compact flash, SD,
    lcd display and audio drivers that I would like to move to an OS with a
    more liberal license.

  7. Re: How can I get source package of lib in the minix3 system?Help....

    On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, ipaqwizard@hotmail.com wrote:

    > and for your information I am currently running minix 1.5
    > on several arm boards:

    So are you looking for minix 1.5 sources? They're at minix3.org under
    "previous versions". I believe the minix3 ARM port is not done (tho it
    might be in a state to allow development, -but- it seems like you'd
    mention having a partial minix3 port running on your ARMs if you did).
    Plus, wouldn't you need any modifications that might have been made to get
    things to work on ARM?

    else:
    1) The rip3 program which has been pointed to several times (google it).
    2) Run minix3 in an emulator which should emulate a network & ftp it.
    3) Boot the cd, doswrite to floppy, read under linux

    3ch

  8. Re: How can I get source package of lib in the minix3 system?Help....

    colonel_hack@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, ipaqwizard@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > and for your information I am currently running minix 1.5
    > > on several arm boards:

    > So are you looking for minix 1.5 sources? They're at minix3.org under
    > "previous versions". I believe the minix3 ARM port is not done (tho it

    The last time I checked with the authors, practically nothing had been
    done. It is a lot of work.

    > might be in a state to allow development, -but- it seems like you'd
    > mention having a partial minix3 port running on your ARMs if you did).

    What is the difference from a porting perspective? It is a microkernel
    and thats the whole point ast has been making for years and you don't
    seem to be getting it. I have a hardware adaptation layer, FS, INIT
    and the rest of the apps are platform independent. MM will probably
    need the same changes I did in v1.5. I already have a hardware
    adaptation layer so the kernel port won't be painful. Which
    architecture have you ported to? Or maybe you should mention which
    minix3 drivers you wrote so I can check with you when I begin the port.
    No thank you. I don't need your help.

    Thanks to Michael Kennett (for rip3) I now have the sources. I will now
    go and work on the code instead of waiting for someone else to do the
    ARM port for me.

  9. Re: How can I get source package of lib in the minix3 system?Help....

    On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, ipaqwizard@hotmail.com wrote:
    [lots of semi-hostile stuff]

    Hey, If you look at it right, all I said was you work was incredible

    Mellow out a bit maybe?

    3ch

+ Reply to Thread