Dumping a Minix 2.0.4 partition - Minix

This is a discussion on Dumping a Minix 2.0.4 partition - Minix ; Hi! I'm very interested in the development of Minix (not really because of Minix, more because ast wrote it ), so i decided to install Minix 3.1.1 and work on it. At the moment, I have Minix 2.0.4 installed on ...

  1. Dumping a Minix 2.0.4 partition

    Hi! I'm very interested in the development of Minix (not really because
    of Minix, more because ast wrote it ), so i decided to install Minix
    3.1.1 and work on it. At the moment, I have Minix 2.0.4 installed on my
    PC, and because I don't want to lose the work I did on it i decided to
    install Minix 3 in another partition. My partition table for the second
    hard disk (where i want to install Minix 3) is:
    (writing partitions in linux style)

    hdb1 - 49999MB - Linux ReiserFS
    hdb2 - 824MB - Minix
    hdb3 - 10495MB - NetBSD
    hdb4 - EXTENDED - EXTENDED
    hdb5 - 9993MB - Linux ReiserFS
    hdb6 - LOGICAL - Free Space

    Minix 3.1.1's installer tells me I can't install it on my free space
    because he can't handel so many partitions. Ok so, let's install it on
    hdb2. For doing that, i have first to backup all my data into another
    partition. Now, the questions are:
    - I want to create a new partition (size: 824MB - type: Minix). How
    can i install MinixFS on it?
    - Will a dd if=/dev/hdb2 of=/dev/hdb6 be sufficient? any other
    parameter (e.g. bs=???) to specifiy?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Dumping a Minix 2.0.4 partition

    Alberto wrote:
    > Hi! I'm very interested in the development of Minix (not really because
    > of Minix, more because ast wrote it ), so i decided to install Minix
    > 3.1.1 and work on it. At the moment, I have Minix 2.0.4 installed on my
    > PC, and because I don't want to lose the work I did on it i decided to
    > install Minix 3 in another partition. My partition table for the second
    > hard disk (where i want to install Minix 3) is:
    > (writing partitions in linux style)
    >
    > hdb1 - 49999MB - Linux ReiserFS
    > hdb2 - 824MB - Minix
    > hdb3 - 10495MB - NetBSD
    > hdb4 - EXTENDED - EXTENDED
    > hdb5 - 9993MB - Linux ReiserFS
    > hdb6 - LOGICAL - Free Space
    >
    > Minix 3.1.1's installer tells me I can't install it on my free space
    > because he can't handel so many partitions. Ok so, let's install it on
    > hdb2. For doing that, i have first to backup all my data into another
    > partition. Now, the questions are:
    > - I want to create a new partition (size: 824MB - type: Minix). How
    > can i install MinixFS on it?
    > - Will a dd if=/dev/hdb2 of=/dev/hdb6 be sufficient? any other
    > parameter (e.g. bs=???) to specifiy?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Minix doesn't do extended partitions, sorry.

  3. Re: Dumping a Minix 2.0.4 partition

    i thought that if i "forced" it (with dd) to an extended partition by
    hand, it wouldn't have noticed the difference :P

  4. Re: Dumping a Minix 2.0.4 partition

    Hey, There is this function, void initialize(void); in the file
    /usr/src/boot/boot.c. In the last few lines of the this function you
    can see the way minix selects its partition.

  5. Re: Dumping a Minix 2.0.4 partition

    thanks!

+ Reply to Thread