CPU speed requirement - Minix

This is a discussion on CPU speed requirement - Minix ; The MINIX 3 website says "To run MINIX 3, you need a PC driven by a 386, 486, or Pentium CPU or compatible." One Of These Days I'm gonna try to install it on a 40mHz, 32mb 386 just to ...

  1. CPU speed requirement

    The MINIX 3 website says "To run MINIX 3, you need a PC
    driven by a 386, 486, or Pentium CPU or compatible."
    One Of These Days I'm gonna try to install it on a 40mHz,
    32mb 386 just to see if I can, but are there any insights
    on the CPU speed required for reasonable performance? Would
    a 450- or 500mHz Pentium III with at least 64mb memory work
    well?

    --
    -- Marten Kemp
    (Fix name and ISP to reply)

  2. Re: CPU speed requirement

    Two of my development/testing systems are PII 233 machines (512M and 96M).
    It actually runs faster on these machines than on my PIII 1G with VMWare
    (512M). I also test on AMD 500MHz (256M) and Intel 500MHz (256M) hardware
    and VMWare on a laptop (1.8GHz 512M). The memory limitation you might see
    is when you try to run larger software, like gcc, perl, etc. I have a PII
    200 with 32M of RAM that works just fine with Minix3. I don't have a 386 to
    test on anymore and my 486 laptop doesn't have a CD-ROM, so I can't say for
    sure about those platforms. If you leave off the bloatware, Minix is nice
    and small. Even for fun, I built bochs on my RS-6000 (Power Architecture,
    AIX 5.1, 266MHz, 1G RAM) and loaded Minix3 into that. That wins, hands
    down, for slowest Minix3 system that I have!

    The Grue

    "Marten Kemp" wrote in message
    news:yDjsf.1125$M%4.1037@newsread3.news.atl.earthl ink.net...
    > The MINIX 3 website says "To run MINIX 3, you need a PC
    > driven by a 386, 486, or Pentium CPU or compatible."
    > One Of These Days I'm gonna try to install it on a 40mHz,
    > 32mb 386 just to see if I can, but are there any insights
    > on the CPU speed required for reasonable performance? Would
    > a 450- or 500mHz Pentium III with at least 64mb memory work
    > well?
    >
    > --
    > -- Marten Kemp
    > (Fix name and ISP to reply)
    > -=-=-
    > ... I imagine this will all be cleared up in about ten years
    > Internet time, which should be around Thursday next week.
    > -- Rich Churcher in sff.workshop.critters-volcano-bar-and-grill
    > * TagZilla 0.059 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org

  3. Re: CPU speed requirement

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 00:15:47 GMT, "James T. Sprinkle \(The Grue\)"
    wrote:

    >Two of my development/testing systems are PII 233 machines (512M and 96M).
    >It actually runs faster on these machines than on my PIII 1G with VMWare
    >(512M). I also test on AMD 500MHz (256M) and Intel 500MHz (256M) hardware
    >and VMWare on a laptop (1.8GHz 512M). The memory limitation you might see
    >is when you try to run larger software, like gcc, perl, etc. I have a PII
    >200 with 32M of RAM that works just fine with Minix3. I don't have a 386 to
    >test on anymore and my 486 laptop doesn't have a CD-ROM, so I can't say for
    >sure about those platforms. If you leave off the bloatware, Minix is nice
    >and small. Even for fun, I built bochs on my RS-6000 (Power Architecture,
    >AIX 5.1, 266MHz, 1G RAM) and loaded Minix3 into that. That wins, hands
    >down, for slowest Minix3 system that I have!
    >
    >The Grue
    >
    >"Marten Kemp" wrote in message
    >news:yDjsf.1125$M%4.1037@newsread3.news.atl.earthl ink.net...
    >> The MINIX 3 website says "To run MINIX 3, you need a PC
    >> driven by a 386, 486, or Pentium CPU or compatible."
    >> One Of These Days I'm gonna try to install it on a 40mHz,
    >> 32mb 386 just to see if I can, but are there any insights
    >> on the CPU speed required for reasonable performance? Would
    >> a 450- or 500mHz Pentium III with at least 64mb memory work
    >> well?
    >>
    >> --
    >> -- Marten Kemp
    >> (Fix name and ISP to reply)
    >> -=-=-
    >> ... I imagine this will all be cleared up in about ten years
    >> Internet time, which should be around Thursday next week.
    >> -- Rich Churcher in sff.workshop.critters-volcano-bar-and-grill
    >> * TagZilla 0.059 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org

    I have V2.02 running on a 386/16 yes thats 16Mhz with only 4mb
    of ram. Runs well and faster than M$DOS. I've been meaning to try
    V3 on a 386/25 (8mb of ram) I have for fun and I expect from all the
    info it should run fine. It's as fast as it's going to be.

    Allison

  4. Re: CPU speed requirement

    Allison-nospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 00:15:47 GMT, "James T. Sprinkle \(The Grue\)"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Two of my development/testing systems are PII 233 machines (512M and 96M).
    >>It actually runs faster on these machines than on my PIII 1G with VMWare
    >>(512M). I also test on AMD 500MHz (256M) and Intel 500MHz (256M) hardware
    >>and VMWare on a laptop (1.8GHz 512M). The memory limitation you might see
    >>is when you try to run larger software, like gcc, perl, etc. I have a PII
    >>200 with 32M of RAM that works just fine with Minix3. I don't have a 386 to
    >>test on anymore and my 486 laptop doesn't have a CD-ROM, so I can't say for
    >>sure about those platforms. If you leave off the bloatware, Minix is nice
    >>and small. Even for fun, I built bochs on my RS-6000 (Power Architecture,
    >>AIX 5.1, 266MHz, 1G RAM) and loaded Minix3 into that. That wins, hands
    >>down, for slowest Minix3 system that I have!
    >>
    >>The Grue
    >>
    >>"Marten Kemp" wrote in message
    >>news:yDjsf.1125$M%4.1037@newsread3.news.atl.earthl ink.net...
    >>
    >>>The MINIX 3 website says "To run MINIX 3, you need a PC
    >>>driven by a 386, 486, or Pentium CPU or compatible."
    >>>One Of These Days I'm gonna try to install it on a 40mHz,
    >>>32mb 386 just to see if I can, but are there any insights
    >>>on the CPU speed required for reasonable performance? Would
    >>>a 450- or 500mHz Pentium III with at least 64mb memory work
    >>>well?
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>-- Marten Kemp
    >>>(Fix name and ISP to reply)
    >>>-=-=-
    >>>... I imagine this will all be cleared up in about ten years
    >>>Internet time, which should be around Thursday next week.
    >>>-- Rich Churcher in sff.workshop.critters-volcano-bar-and-grill
    >>>* TagZilla 0.059 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org

    > I have V2.02 running on a 386/16 yes thats 16Mhz with only 4mb
    > of ram. Runs well and faster than M$DOS. I've been meaning to try
    > V3 on a 386/25 (8mb of ram) I have for fun and I expect from all the
    > info it should run fine. It's as fast as it's going to be.
    >

    > Allison

    Okay. It looks as if the consensus is "whatever CPU you have handy,
    plus all the spare RAM lying around." I can do that.

    By the way, I'm glad somebody tried Minix3 on a 386. Mine's loaded
    with Win 3.11 to run my EPROM maker and as a test machine for a
    Linux fileserver.

    --
    -- Marten Kemp
    (Fix name and ISP to reply)

  5. Re: CPU speed requirement

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 03:54:17 GMT, Marten Kemp
    wrote:

    >>>"Marten Kemp" wrote in message
    >>>news:yDjsf.1125$M%4.1037@newsread3.news.atl.earthl ink.net...

    >> I have V2.02 running on a 386/16 yes thats 16Mhz with only 4mb
    >> of ram. Runs well and faster than M$DOS. I've been meaning to try
    >> V3 on a 386/25 (8mb of ram) I have for fun and I expect from all the
    >> info it should run fine. It's as fast as it's going to be.
    >>

    >> Allison

    >Okay. It looks as if the consensus is "whatever CPU you have handy,
    >plus all the spare RAM lying around." I can do that.

    V3 has higher minima on ram than V2 but 386 or higher runs.

    >By the way, I'm glad somebody tried Minix3 on a 386. Mine's loaded
    >with Win 3.11 to run my EPROM maker and as a test machine for a
    >Linux fileserver.

    I ahve a 486/66 running NT4/server, dont laugh it's a bullet proof
    machine and fast enough for the task. I may play with V3 on it as
    mailserver.

    Allison

  6. Re: CPU speed requirement

    Allison-nospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    {snip}
    > I ahve a 486/66 running NT4/server, dont laugh it's a bullet proof
    > machine and fast enough for the task. I may play with V3 on it as
    > mailserver.

    You won't get any levity from me. "Bullet proof machine and
    fast enough for the task" is a description of the perfect
    system.

    Of course, you *might* be able to use a 133mHz Kingston
    upgrade . I just happen to have one available, free to
    a good home. Contact me off-list if you're interested (I
    assume you know what planet we're on).

    --
    -- Marten Kemp
    (Fix name and ISP to reply)

  7. Re: CPU speed requirement

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:09:37 GMT, Marten Kemp
    wrote:

    >Allison-nospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    >{snip}
    >> I ahve a 486/66 running NT4/server, dont laugh it's a bullet proof
    >> machine and fast enough for the task. I may play with V3 on it as
    >> mailserver.

    >You won't get any levity from me. "Bullet proof machine and
    >fast enough for the task" is a description of the perfect
    >system.
    >
    >Of course, you *might* be able to use a 133mHz Kingston
    >upgrade . I just happen to have one available, free to
    >a good home. Contact me off-list if you're interested (I
    >assume you know what planet we're on).

    No interest thanks. I do have a board with AMD DX4/133
    with VLB bus. Also a good machine.

    I have an assortment of 386 and up systems. One thats
    nice is a Modular Designs with 800mb 2.5" disk about the
    size of a construction brick Runs a 486/50 and 16mb with
    VGA and Ethernet. All on 12V less an an amp. Great for
    playing with OSs. I'm itching to get V3 up on it as a simple
    protocal bridge.

    Allison

  8. Re: CPU speed requirement

    Allison-nospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:09:37 GMT, Marten Kemp
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Allison-nospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:
    >>{snip}
    >>
    >>>I ahve a 486/66 running NT4/server, dont laugh it's a bullet proof
    >>>machine and fast enough for the task. I may play with V3 on it as
    >>>mailserver.

    >>You won't get any levity from me. "Bullet proof machine and
    >>fast enough for the task" is a description of the perfect
    >>system.
    >>
    >>Of course, you *might* be able to use a 133mHz Kingston
    >>upgrade . I just happen to have one available, free to
    >>a good home. Contact me off-list if you're interested (I
    >>assume you know what planet we're on).

    > No interest thanks. I do have a board with AMD DX4/133
    > with VLB bus. Also a good machine.
    >
    > I have an assortment of 386 and up systems. One thats
    > nice is a Modular Designs with 800mb 2.5" disk about the
    > size of a construction brick Runs a 486/50 and 16mb with
    > VGA and Ethernet. All on 12V less an an amp. Great for
    > playing with OSs. I'm itching to get V3 up on it as a simple
    > protocal bridge.

    Cool toy!

    --
    -- Marten Kemp
    (Fix name and ISP to reply)

  9. Re: CPU speed requirement

    James T. Sprinkle (The Grue) wrote:
    > Two of my development/testing systems are PII 233 machines (512M and 96M).
    > It actually runs faster on these machines than on my PIII 1G with VMWare
    > (512M).

    That's because VMWare is one bloated mother****er and I would not
    recommend it for anything useful. Hell, I would not even run DOS in it.

  10. Re: CPU speed requirement

    Segin wrote:

    > James T. Sprinkle (The Grue) wrote:
    >
    >> Two of my development/testing systems are PII 233 machines (512M and
    >> 96M).
    >> It actually runs faster on these machines than on my PIII 1G with VMWare
    >> (512M).

    > That's because VMWare is one bloated mother****er and I would not
    > recommend it for anything useful. Hell, I would not even run DOS in it.

    To paraphrase the famous quote: "It's not that the VMwear works
    slowly, it's a wonder that it works at all."

    Virtualization without serious hardware assistance is going to
    produce rather poor performance. I haven't used it but, IMO,
    VMWare is for a testing environment, and for desperate
    circumstances.

    --
    -- Marten Kemp
    (Fix name and ISP to reply)

  11. Re: CPU speed requirement

    "Marten Kemp" wrote in message
    news:UmRsf.10746$3Z.5353@newsread1.news.atl.earthl ink.net...
    > Segin wrote:
    >
    > > James T. Sprinkle (The Grue) wrote:
    > >
    > >> Two of my development/testing systems are PII 233 machines (512M and
    > >> 96M).
    > >> It actually runs faster on these machines than on my PIII 1G with

    VMWare
    > >> (512M).

    > > That's because VMWare is one bloated mother****er and I would not
    > > recommend it for anything useful. Hell, I would not even run DOS in it.

    > To paraphrase the famous quote: "It's not that the VMwear works
    > slowly, it's a wonder that it works at all."
    >
    > Virtualization without serious hardware assistance is going to
    > produce rather poor performance. I haven't used it but, IMO,
    > VMWare is for a testing environment, and for desperate
    > circumstances.
    >
    > --
    > -- Marten Kemp
    > (Fix name and ISP to reply)
    > -=-=-
    > ... Dennis Ritchie: "So fsck was originally called something else"
    > Question: "What was it called?"
    > Dennis Ritchie: "Well, the second letter was different."
    > --Q&A at Usenix
    > (from http://home.xnet.com/~raven/Sysadmin/ASR.Quotes.html)
    > * TagZilla 0.059 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org

    I use vmware at work and only because I don't have a dedicated machine to
    play on during my breaks. I agree it is best for testing, but I prefer
    hardware over emulation any day.

    The Grue

  12. Re: CPU speed requirement

    James T. Sprinkle (The Grue) wrote:
    > "Marten Kemp" wrote in message
    > news:UmRsf.10746$3Z.5353@newsread1.news.atl.earthl ink.net...
    >
    >>Segin wrote:

    > VMWare

    >>>That's because VMWare is one bloated mother****er and I would not
    >>>recommend it for anything useful. Hell, I would not even run DOS in it.

    >>To paraphrase the famous quote: "It's not that the VMwear works
    >>slowly, it's a wonder that it works at all."
    >>
    >>Virtualization without serious hardware assistance is going to
    >>produce rather poor performance. I haven't used it but, IMO,
    >>VMWare is for a testing environment, and for desperate
    >>circumstances.
    >>
    >>--
    >>-- Marten Kemp
    >>(Fix name and ISP to reply)
    >>-=-=-
    >>... Dennis Ritchie: "So fsck was originally called something else"
    >>Question: "What was it called?"
    >>Dennis Ritchie: "Well, the second letter was different."
    >>--Q&A at Usenix
    >>(from http://home.xnet.com/~raven/Sysadmin/ASR.Quotes.html)
    >>* TagZilla 0.059 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org

    > I use vmware at work and only because I don't have a dedicated machine to
    > play on during my breaks. I agree it is best for testing, but I prefer
    > hardware over emulation any day.
    >
    > The Grue

    What about emulators with JIT?

  13. Re: CPU speed requirement

    On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 07:30:18 GMT, Marten Kemp
    wrote:

    >Cool toy!

    Martin,

    That's a common name I use for PCs. Cute toy!

    Over the years I've gotten a few interesting or unusually small ones
    for the fun of playing with them.

    Allison

  14. Re: CPU speed requirement

    Allison-nospam@nouce.bellatlantic.net wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 07:30:18 GMT, Marten Kemp
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Cool toy!

    > Martin,
    >
    > That's a common name I use for PCs. Cute toy!
    >
    > Over the years I've gotten a few interesting or unusually small ones
    > for the fun of playing with them.

    There's a term I heard on NPR's _Car Talk_ once: "junkeraderie"
    as a takeoff on "camaraderie," meaning, roughly, the loose society
    of those who try to make miscellaneous and heterogenous collections
    of less-than-state-of-the-art stuff work for their own enjoyment.

    Fits me and many of my friends.

    --
    -- Marten Kemp
    (Fix name and ISP to reply)