where do I start? - Minix

This is a discussion on where do I start? - Minix ; ok, I've been waiting for the book for months, and now it's delayed. I've decided to start looking at the source code, textbook be damned! Can someone give me a hint as to what file in the source I should ...

  1. where do I start?

    ok, I've been waiting for the book for months, and now it's delayed.
    I've decided to start looking at the source code, textbook be damned!

    Can someone give me a hint as to what file in the source I should be
    looking at first, and why?
    I'm assuming this will probably be the code that sits in the master
    boot record and points to the operating system entry point, but maybe I
    should be looking somewhere else initially?

    thanks in advance...

    --Mike

  2. Re: where do I start?

    Hey, off course other members can tell you a much better way to start
    and finish the study of the kernel source code, this is how, I think it
    should go.

    /usr/src/boot/bootblock.s
    /usr/src/boot/boothead.s
    /usr/src/boot/boot.c
    /usr/src/boot/bootimage.c

    And then you are in the kernel....

    /usr/src/kernel/mpx386.s
    /usr/src/kernel/main.c
    /usr/src/kernel/proc.c

    Good luck.

  3. Re: where do I start?

    so i am guessing that the stuff in boot isnt actually the operating
    system, but is instead some kind of bootloader? Are those four files
    akin to grub or lilo?

    p.s. thanks for the start...

    --M

  4. Re: where do I start?

    The only file which I think works as a grub or a lilo for Minix3 is the
    file boot/bootblock.s. The rest of them in the boot directory are
    important and should be read.
    Start at the tag "boot" in the file boot/boothead.s and then just go
    with the the flow of the code.

+ Reply to Thread