Compiling Minix - Minix

This is a discussion on Compiling Minix - Minix ; Hi, I wan't to know that is there any way to compile Minix in Linux using gcc or Windows environment using any compiler? U can explain it with Windows or Linux because I am using both. After compiling how to ...

  1. Compiling Minix

    Hi,

    I wan't to know that is there any way to compile Minix in Linux using
    gcc or Windows environment using any compiler?
    U can explain it with Windows or Linux because I am using both.
    After compiling how to set it for boot?
    Actually I wan't to do it by my own. I don't want to download an image
    file and burn it and start using Minix. I wan't to learn how to compile
    it.

    Bye...

  2. Re: Compiling Minix

    Fawad wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I wan't to know that is there any way to compile Minix in Linux using
    > gcc or Windows environment using any compiler?
    > U can explain it with Windows or Linux because I am using both.
    > After compiling how to set it for boot?
    > Actually I wan't to do it by my own. I don't want to download an image
    > file and burn it and start using Minix. I wan't to learn how to compile
    > it.
    >
    > Bye...

    Minix must be compiled inside of Minix.

    Also your question is very vauge and is hard to understand. Please read
    this before posing again:

  3. Re: Compiling Minix

    I don't believe the problem is that much with compiling Minix under
    Linux,
    as any piece of software can be cross-compiled assuming you have the
    right
    compiler; and that's where I see the problem. Minix compiles with the
    ack c
    compiler. In general, gcc (as an ANSI c compiler) should be able to
    compile
    (or cross-compile) Minix, but I personally have never seen that happen.
    If
    anyone else has had any luck compiling the Minix kernel and other OS
    files
    with gcc, I would love to know. I don't believe either that ack is a
    cross
    compiler. Hence, you could get the ack source and compile it under
    Linux,
    but I don't believe this would help you in your quest...

    Cheers, Alex

  4. Re: Compiling Minix

    If Minix can't be compiled in anyother compiler, then how the
    developers of Minix compiled it and the ack compiler after developing
    it?

  5. Re: Compiling Minix

    ajam wrote:
    > I don't believe the problem is that much with compiling Minix under
    > Linux,
    > as any piece of software can be cross-compiled assuming you have the
    > right
    > compiler; and that's where I see the problem. Minix compiles with the
    > ack c
    > compiler. In general, gcc (as an ANSI c compiler) should be able to
    > compile
    > (or cross-compile) Minix, but I personally have never seen that happen.

    There is much more needed than an ANSI C compiler. The compiler should
    be able to produce object files in minix a.out format.The problem is
    that most compilers do no emit code for minix. Earlier versions of gcc
    did that, but the new ones have not support. A port of gcc to minix is
    underway, check the minix 3 website for details.

    > If
    > anyone else has had any luck compiling the Minix kernel and other OS
    > files
    > with gcc, I would love to know.

    Compiling, in itself shouldnt be a problem I guess? Its just like
    compiling any other program. When you try to compile Minix with GCC
    under linux, gcc would write files in Linux a.out (ELF?) format. But
    the compiled program (Minix) would not be able to do anything, cause it
    will not be able to read its own files...do you get what I'm saying?

    I don't believe either that ack is a
    > cross
    > compiler. Hence, you could get the ack source and compile it under
    > Linux,
    > but I don't believe this would help you in your quest...

    You may try this ->
    1) Take the ACK source code off the minix 3 website
    2)Compile it using gcc under linux : The executable should be in ELF
    format. This program should be able to run under linux.
    3)Compile *all* the minix code using this new compiler. The compiler
    would run under Linux but the binaries it will emit will be in minix
    a.out format.
    4)Collect all your binaries and use rawrite or a similar utility to
    boot your Minix.

    I think it should work this way. Try and let us all know if it works
    this way ;-)

+ Reply to Thread