MINIX Installation from diskette - Minix

This is a discussion on MINIX Installation from diskette - Minix ; Itīs possible install MINIX from diskette of 1.4Mb? Thanks, iīm sorry for my bad english....

  1. MINIX Installation from diskette

    Itīs possible install MINIX from diskette of 1.4Mb?

    Thanks, iīm sorry for my bad english.

  2. Re: MINIX Installation from diskette

    VGA wrote:
    > It?s possible install MINIX from diskette of 1.4Mb?
    >
    > Thanks, i?m sorry for my bad english.

    I whish it was, so that I could install it on a few 486 and 386
    notebooks which are running FreeBSD or TinyLinux at the moment. But
    I'm afraid the only installation way now is from the install live-CD.

    --
    Saludos,
    Ángel

  3. Re: MINIX Installation from diskette

    VGA wrote:
    : It's possible install MINIX from diskette of 1.4Mb?

    Yes, in principle, although this is not officially supported by the
    Minix 3 developers at the VU. So you will have to prepare the floppy
    disks yourself.

    You will need to have an available system on which you can boot the
    Minix CD-ROM. You don't necessarily need to make a permanent
    installation if you have enough RAM available to make a large root
    file system on the RAM disk.

    First, to make a bootable Minix 3 floppy disk, copy the file
    bootflop.img from the CD-ROM to a floppy disk. In Windows or MS-DOS
    you need to use the rawrite utility (available online). If you are
    running Minix 3 on a system with free writeable disk space of at
    least 1.44 MB you can do this (assuming your CD-ROM is c0d2):

    # isoread /dev/c0d2 bootflop.img > /tmp/bootflop.img
    # cat < /tmp/bootflop.img > /dev/fd0

    (Possibly this could be done in one step without making a file on the
    RAMdisk, but as both the CD-ROM and floppy disk are devices for which
    timing may be critical, copying directly from CD-ROM to floppy may be
    tricky.)

    Now you will have a bootable Minix 3 floppy disk. This is a variant of
    the procedure recommended for older systems which can read, but cannot
    boot from, CD-ROMs. This floppy disk will contain only /dev and /boot
    directories, just enough to start the system. It is configured to look
    for the CD-ROM and continue setup using files from the CD-ROM. To
    make it useful for starting Minix 3 on a system with no CD-ROM drive
    you will have to copy additional files to it and alter the boot
    parameters, to get a working root file system installed on the RAM
    disk. You can do this by mounting the boot floppy on another Minix
    system (using RAM disk if you can't make a permanent installation on
    the hard disk) and copying additional directories and files to the
    floppy. You will also have to copy other files needed for a running
    Minix system to additional floppy disks.

    If your target system has one of the ethernet cards supported by Minix
    3 I believe one additional floppy disk will be adequate -- you need to
    have only enough functionality installed from the floppy disks to boot
    Minix, prepare the Minix 3 hard disk partition and subpartitions, and
    use the network to transfer all the files needed for a complete
    installation.

    There are other ways to get Minix 3 onto a system that has no CD-ROM
    drive -- for instance, using a Windows installation with a FAT file
    system and the Minix mtools utility to copy files from Windows to
    Minix.

    I am leaving a lot of details for you to work out for yourself because
    I have not had time to try this with the final release of Minix
    3.1. About six months previous to the official release of Minix 3.1 I
    worked this out with the then-current experimental release, and was
    able to get enough functionality on two floppy disks to be able to
    boot, prepare the hard disk, and import the rest of the system over
    the network. So I am sure this can be done. Possibly someone else will
    work out the details and post floppy disk images for Minix 3
    startup. I would like to do this myself, but I have a lot of higher
    priority work to do first.

    Good luck,
    - Al

    Note: to reply to me about Minix-related topics please use the address
    below, even if I have posted or e-mailed from another address.
    +----------------------------------+
    | Albert S. Woodhull |
    | awoodhull@hampshire.edu |
    | http://minix1.hampshire.edu/asw/ |
    +----------------------------------+

  4. Re: MINIX Installation from diskette

    Albert S Woodhull wrote:

    > So I am sure this can be done. Possibly someone else will
    > work out the details and post floppy disk images for Minix 3
    > startup. I would like to do this myself, but I have a lot of
    > priority work to do first.

    In the mean time, one could always install Minix 2.0.4 from floppy:
    http://www.minix3.org/previous-versions/Intel-2.0.4/

    -Gary

  5. Re: MINIX Installation from diskette

    Thanks for the answer.