Mounting a minix filesystem on Windows - Minix

This is a discussion on Mounting a minix filesystem on Windows - Minix ; I was very happy with the previous version of Minix because I could study the Minix partitions from a running Linux on the same computer. But version 3 is no longer supported by Linux. So, someone has to rewrite the ...

  1. Mounting a minix filesystem on Windows

    I was very happy with the previous version of Minix because I could
    study the Minix partitions from a running Linux on the same computer.

    But version 3 is no longer supported by Linux. So, someone has to
    rewrite the apropiate kernel module for us to enjoy mounting the
    version 3 of Minix filesystem.

    But, I think it would be interesting to write from scratch the
    apropiate program for Windows for mounting a Minix 3 filesystem on a
    running Windows.

    I would cooperate in that project. By the moment, I wish to ask to
    whoever knows something about it, where to find help in the way that
    the Win32 API accesses the HD. So I'll start programing something of it
    with Visual Basic 6.

  2. Re: Mounting a minix filesystem on Windows

    ajocrudo wrote:
    > I was very happy with the previous version of Minix because I could
    > study the Minix partitions from a running Linux on the same computer.
    >
    > But version 3 is no longer supported by Linux. So, someone has to
    > rewrite the apropiate kernel module for us to enjoy mounting the
    > version 3 of Minix filesystem.
    >
    > But, I think it would be interesting to write from scratch the
    > apropiate program for Windows for mounting a Minix 3 filesystem on a
    > running Windows.
    >
    > I would cooperate in that project. By the moment, I wish to ask to
    > whoever knows something about it, where to find help in the way that
    > the Win32 API accesses the HD. So I'll start programing something of it
    > with Visual Basic 6.

    Visual Basic 6 does not in any way support what is needed to create a
    driver. You need to write it in C.

  3. Re: Mounting a minix filesystem on Windows

    Weel, you are right. But if I create in C the basic routines to acces
    de Hard Drive ( read block and write block), I can later manage them
    from Visual Basic to get a comfortable way to interact with the Minix
    filesystem.

    What I need to start working on this is the Win32 API functions to
    acces the Drive. I think that once I digest them, I can easily manage
    them from the Visual Basic interface.

    The second stage will be to study the Minix 3 filesystem sources and
    start playing with them and Visual Basic. But with the low level API
    functions at hand.

  4. Re: Mounting a minix filesystem on Windows

    ajocrudo wrote:
    > I would cooperate in that project. By the moment, I wish to ask to
    > whoever knows something about it, where to find help in the way that
    > the Win32 API accesses the HD. So I'll start programing something of it
    > with Visual Basic 6.

    Hints on Win32 API could be found on MSDN library on
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp. Enjoy it.

    Zhen Wang

+ Reply to Thread