Minix on ARM - Minix

This is a discussion on Minix on ARM - Minix ; Hello, At the minix3-website, I read the following: "Current Status The current version of MINIX 3 (3.3.1) is a work in progress. [...] Ports to the ARM7 and PowerPC are underway. [...]" An ARM7 port of Minix would be real ...

  1. Minix on ARM

    Hello,

    At the minix3-website, I read the following:

    "Current Status
    The current version of MINIX 3 (3.3.1) is a work in progress. [...]
    Ports to the ARM7 and PowerPC are underway. [...]"

    An ARM7 port of Minix would be real fun to have, but I can't find
    anywhere more information on this "work in progress". Is the project
    already started?

  2. Re: Minix on ARM

    Someone in Canada was working on it, but had to stop for reasons
    unrelated to MINIX.

    Meanwhile, someone else is starting a port to the Xscale, which is
    derived from the ARM.
    See the Who's doing what page

    Andy Tanenbaum

  3. Re: Minix on ARM

    Now I and my students began to port minix3 on ARM based board.
    First we use SkyEye simulator (http://www.skyeye.org) as the hardware.
    Did anyone do the same things?
    I hope we can exchange the experiences on porting minix3 on ARM.
    If anyone is interested in porting ARM, you can email me (
    yuchenATtsinghuaDOTeduDOTcn ) by email.

    Chen Yu

  4. Re: Minix on ARM

    chenyu wrote:
    > Now I and my students began to port minix3 on ARM based board.
    > First we use SkyEye simulator (http://www.skyeye.org) as the hardware.
    > Did anyone do the same things?
    > I hope we can exchange the experiences on porting minix3 on ARM.
    > If anyone is interested in porting ARM, you can email me (
    > yuchenATtsinghuaDOTeduDOTcn ) by email.
    >
    > Chen Yu

    If you want to keep your email from spambots, put a space in between the
    words that you use to subsitute symbols; e.g. my email would be
    segin2005 AT gmail DOT com

    or if you want to take that a bit further:

    segin2005 [AT] gmail [DOT] com

    your email in they way you did that hurts my eyes looking at it because
    it's all crammed together.

  5. Re: Minix on ARM

    chenyu wrote:
    > Now I and my students began to port minix3 on ARM based board.

    ARM7 or ARM9?

    Are you using a commercially available development board? Which one?

    Thanks.

    Jim

  6. Re: Minix on ARM

    Joris wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > At the minix3-website, I read the following:
    >
    > "Current Status
    > The current version of MINIX 3 (3.3.1) is a work in progress. [...]
    > Ports to the ARM7 and PowerPC are underway. [...]"
    >
    > An ARM7 port of Minix would be real fun to have, but I can't find
    > anywhere more information on this "work in progress". Is the project
    > already started?

    The ARM7 port of minix would not only be fun but also a really useful
    thing, because until I'm much mistaken, my Psion 5 Series is ARM7 based
    - and because Linux port is uncomplete and seems abandoned, minix would
    be great thing for that little darling.

    Vit Herman

  7. Re: Minix on ARM

    Dr. Chen Yu, I used to be one of the users of SkyEye simulator before I
    started to work on a real S3C44B0X based hardware platform. SkyEye did
    help many students who cannot afford expensive evaluation boards just
    like me.
    Though I'd like to participate in this porting, I still wonder whether
    I could do a competent job.

  8. Re: Minix on ARM

    chenyu wrote:
    > Now I and my students began to port minix3 on ARM based board.
    > First we use SkyEye simulator (http://www.skyeye.org) as the hardware.
    > Did anyone do the same things?
    > I hope we can exchange the experiences on porting minix3 on ARM.
    > If anyone is interested in porting ARM, you can email me (
    > yuchenATtsinghuaDOTeduDOTcn ) by email.
    >
    > Chen Yu

    Dr. Chen Yu,
    I used to be one of the users of SkyEye simulator before I
    started to work on a real S3C44B0X based hardware platform. SkyEye did
    help many students who cannot afford expensive evaluation boards just
    like me.
    Though I'd like to participate in this porting, I still wonder whether
    I could do a competent job.

  9. Re: Minix on ARM

    he is using a software simulator, skyeye
    jfathman@aol.com wrote:
    > chenyu wrote:
    > > Now I and my students began to port minix3 on ARM based board.

    > ARM7 or ARM9?
    >
    > Are you using a commercially available development board? Which one?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Jim

  10. Re: Minix on ARM

    Hi

    We are a team of three students working on a port of Minix to ARM, targeting the Integrator CP board using the qemu emulator. We're currently working on the boot process, but we can help with another pieces of code, and we also be grateful for any help about the booting process of minix

+ Reply to Thread