Microsoft to move graphics outside OS kernel. - Minix

This is a discussion on Microsoft to move graphics outside OS kernel. - Minix ; Some people are slow to learn: ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ( From http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=5002 , referenced in http://www.osnews.com ) "Microsoft will move the graphics for its next version of Windows outside of the operating system's ...

  1. Microsoft to move graphics outside OS kernel.

    Some people are slow to learn:

    ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
    ( From http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=5002 ,
    referenced in http://www.osnews.com )

    "Microsoft will move the graphics for its next version of Windows
    outside of the operating system's kernel to improve reliability, ...

    Vista's graphics subsystem, ... will be pulled out the kernel because
    many lock-ups are the result of the GUI freezing ..."

    The company has already announced to developers that most drivers,
    including graphics, will run in user mode - which means that they
    don't get access to the privileged kernel mode (or Ring 0). At this
    level, a process can do anything it likes, including overwriting
    memory that doesn't belong to it. The result of such overwriting by
    (usually) buggy code is often a system crash. So the move should
    result in greater reliability, because crashing drivers cause some 89
    per cent of system crashes in Windows XP, according to Microsoft. When
    run in user mode, they won't be able to bring down the entire system."
    ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

    Roberto Waltman

    [ Please reply to the group, ]
    [ return address is invalid. ]

  2. Re: Microsoft to move graphics outside OS kernel.

    well, as far as I know in Win NT the GUI was
    already outside the kernel, but there were
    a lot of performance problems and so the put
    it in again in later releases.

    Bernhard

    > Some people are slow to learn:
    >
    > ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
    > ( From http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=5002 ,
    > referenced in http://www.osnews.com )
    >
    > "Microsoft will move the graphics for its next version of Windows
    > outside of the operating system's kernel to improve reliability, ...
    >
    > Vista's graphics subsystem, ... will be pulled out the kernel because
    > many lock-ups are the result of the GUI freezing ..."
    >
    > The company has already announced to developers that most drivers,
    > including graphics, will run in user mode - which means that they
    > don't get access to the privileged kernel mode (or Ring 0). At this
    > level, a process can do anything it likes, including overwriting
    > memory that doesn't belong to it. The result of such overwriting by
    > (usually) buggy code is often a system crash. So the move should
    > result in greater reliability, because crashing drivers cause some 89
    > per cent of system crashes in Windows XP, according to Microsoft. When
    > run in user mode, they won't be able to bring down the entire system."
    > ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
    >
    > Roberto Waltman
    >
    > [ Please reply to the group, ]
    > [ return address is invalid. ]

  3. Re: Microsoft to move graphics outside OS kernel.

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 19:26:48 +0100, Bernhard Kast
    wrote:

    >well, as far as I know in Win NT the GUI was
    >already outside the kernel, but there were
    >a lot of performance problems and so the put
    >it in again in later releases.

    that was exactly the case right up to Win/NT4
    then it was moved in and became unstable.

    In he V3 (specifically 3.51) the stability of NT was very good though
    you could still get "blue screen" where he interface crashed but the
    system was would other wise continue running. Restarting the user
    interface was a challenge as there were no command line access
    at all once the display system crashed.

    Allison

    >Bernhard
    >

    >> Some people are slow to learn:
    >>
    >> ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
    >> ( From http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=5002 ,
    >> referenced in http://www.osnews.com )
    >>
    >> "Microsoft will move the graphics for its next version of Windows
    >> outside of the operating system's kernel to improve reliability, ...
    >>
    >> Vista's graphics subsystem, ... will be pulled out the kernel because
    >> many lock-ups are the result of the GUI freezing ..."
    >>
    >> The company has already announced to developers that most drivers,
    >> including graphics, will run in user mode - which means that they
    >> don't get access to the privileged kernel mode (or Ring 0). At this
    >> level, a process can do anything it likes, including overwriting
    >> memory that doesn't belong to it. The result of such overwriting by
    >> (usually) buggy code is often a system crash. So the move should
    >> result in greater reliability, because crashing drivers cause some 89
    >> per cent of system crashes in Windows XP, according to Microsoft. When
    >> run in user mode, they won't be able to bring down the entire system."
    >>
    >> Roberto Waltman
    >>
    >> [ Please reply to the group, ]
    >> [ return address is invalid. ]

+ Reply to Thread