possible to use device drivers from linux in minix? - Minix

This is a discussion on possible to use device drivers from linux in minix? - Minix ; hey all: I noticed on the minix3 website a few weeks ago that there was an item on the TODO list that dealt with creating a framework to use linux drivers in minix....this seems really cool because theres already a ...

  1. possible to use device drivers from linux in minix?

    hey all:

    I noticed on the minix3 website a few weeks ago that there was an item
    on the TODO list that dealt with creating a framework to use linux
    drivers in minix....this seems really cool because theres already a
    pretty concerted effort in the linux community to develop drivers and
    it'd be great if we didn't have to rewrite a bunch of drivers that
    already work for linux. Does this framework mean that we'll be able to
    take drivers written for linux and just drop them into minix with the
    expectation that it will work? What are the negative aspects of this
    proposed framework?

    thanks,

    --Mike

  2. Re: possible to use device drivers from linux in minix?

    web_fella@hotmail.com wrote:
    > hey all:
    >
    > I noticed on the minix3 website a few weeks ago that there was an item
    > on the TODO list that dealt with creating a framework to use linux
    > drivers in minix....this seems really cool because theres already a
    > pretty concerted effort in the linux community to develop drivers and
    > it'd be great if we didn't have to rewrite a bunch of drivers that
    > already work for linux. Does this framework mean that we'll be able to
    > take drivers written for linux and just drop them into minix with the
    > expectation that it will work? What are the negative aspects of this
    > proposed framework?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > --Mike

    Well, not exactly 'work out of the box'. You'll need to rewrite them a
    bit, but the source-level API will be mostly the same. You will need to
    make system calls to allow access to the hardware -- linux drivers run
    in ring 0 so they automatically have this. Plus the differences between
    linux and minix...

  3. Re: possible to use device drivers from linux in minix?

    ok...interesting. keeping that in mind, what would the proposed driver
    framework offer?

  4. Re: possible to use device drivers from linux in minix?

    web_fella@hotmail.com wrote:
    > ok...interesting. keeping that in mind, what would the proposed driver
    > framework offer?

    A source level (NOT binary-level) API which will be strikingly similar
    to that found in FreeBSD and Linux. There will be differences, of
    course, but you can expect that most driver functions will still work.

  5. Re: possible to use device drivers from linux in minix?

    Basically, doing that would require figuring out what functions a Linux
    driver can call and the operating system must provide. Then we would
    have to write a library that included those functions and translated
    them into MINIX 3 kernel calls and functions local to the driver (like
    allocating buffers). Similarly, we would need to know what functions a
    driver has to support because the operating system expects them. We
    would have to either implement them or dummy them up. For example, if
    our driver didn't do power management, any call requesting a change of
    power level could just reply that it had done the work, even though it
    hadn't.

    One of my students is also looking at this (see the Who's doing what
    page), but the work would no doubt go faster with multiple people. My
    intuition says wrapping BSD drivers will be easier than Linux ones, but
    I don't really know.

    I don't expect 100% source compatibility this way (and no binary
    compatibility) but hopefully the required source changes will be minor.

    Andy Tanenbaum

+ Reply to Thread