Is the book on schedule? - Minix

This is a discussion on Is the book on schedule? - Minix ; Is the new book still on schedule for 21 Dec release? Just wondering. Thanks. Jim...

  1. Is the book on schedule?

    Is the new book still on schedule for 21 Dec release?

    Just wondering.

    Thanks.

    Jim

  2. Re: Is the book on schedule?

    I'd like to know as well as I have pre-ordered the book...

  3. Re: Is the book on schedule?

    "Eric Haase" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:1134458077.832732.257210@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > I'd like to know as well as I have pre-ordered the book...

    Same here - Amazon still doesn't list even a release date...

    Tobias

  4. Re: Is the book on schedule?

    I ot confirmation from BN few days ago that includes ship date of Dec
    21st. I guess the book could make it to my home before Christmas, but
    even if it arrives few days late it will be great as I have some time
    off to go through it.

    Jan

  5. Re: Is the book on schedule?

    I've got confirmation from BN few days ago that includes ship date of
    Dec 21st. I guess the book could make it to my home before Christmas,
    but even if it arrives few days late it will be great as I have some
    time off to go through it.

    By the way the BN.com price for members is better than what Amazon
    offers.

    Jan

  6. Re: Is the book on schedule?

    Tobias Erichsen wrote:

    > "Eric Haase" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:1134458077.832732.257210@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >> I'd like to know as well as I have pre-ordered the book...

    > Same here - Amazon still doesn't list even a release date...

    Andy and I did our part and got everything to Prentice-Hall on
    time. Their web page
    (http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/acad...429388,00.html)
    still shows an "estimated availability date" of December 21. So I
    expect no delays.

    - Al

    --
    +----------------------------------+
    | Albert S. Woodhull |

  7. Re: Is the book on schedule?

    I've been wondering if the book release is on schedule because the
    cover is not shown at Amazon or Prentice Hall. Amazon usually adds a
    picture of the cover prior to release.

    This morning I stumbled across the new cover when searching using the
    ISBN:

    http://www.prenhall.com/tanenbaum/html/books.html

    http://www.prenhall.com/tanenbaum/html/coming_soon.html

    This cover might be a little too cute to leave visible on my desk at
    work (I work with a bunch of crusty burned out Machiavellians), but my
    daughter will like it.

    Jim

  8. Re: Is the book on schedule?

    As far as I know, it is still scheduled to be in stock on 21 Dec. This
    means that they start shipping to book stores and mail-order customers
    then.

    Andy Tanenbaum

  9. Re: Is the book on schedule?

    I am a chinese student ,I think I can buy a chinese edition after many
    years.I like this book very much.I'm reading second edtion now!

  10. Re: Is the book on schedule?

    The cover now also appears at:

    http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/acad...429388,00.html

    Getting closer.

    Jim

  11. Re: Is the book on schedule?

    wrote in message
    news:1135191344.843651.314330@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
    > The cover now also appears at:
    >
    > http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/acad...429388,00.html
    >
    > Getting closer.
    >
    > Jim

    Just checked with a local bookshop here in the UK and they are still telling
    me it won't be available here until the end of January 2006 so I guess I'm
    just going to have to be patient.

    Lynton

  12. Re: Is the book on schedule?

    Same in the US. Just received notification from BN. Aparently there is
    1 month delay in shipping the book:

    This part of your order is expected to ship on January 20, 2006

    It's a pitty as I planned to use my vacation to dive into the MINIX
    source code with help of the book. I guess I will be doing somethig
    else then (like read the updated Advanced Programming in the UNIX
    environment that I bought yesterday :-).

    Jan

  13. Re: Is the book on schedule?

    "kxux" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:1135256129.944894.185860@g47g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

    > It's a pitty as I planned to use my vacation to dive into the MINIX
    > source code with help of the book. I guess I will be doing somethig
    > else then (like read the updated Advanced Programming in the UNIX
    > environment that I bought yesterday :-).

    Same here... well I guess it will have to wait a little more...

    Tobias

  14. Re: Is the book on schedule?

    > It's a pity as I planned to use my vacation to dive into
    > the MINIX source code with help of the book.

    Me too.

    > I guess I will be doing something else then (like
    > read the updated Advanced Programming in the UNIX
    > environment that I bought yesterday :-).

    You can't go wrong there. Very fine book. I hope that ultimately
    MINIX 3 will support POSIX, threads, etc. to the extent that you could
    work through APUE (Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment, 2nd
    Ed.) on MINIX 3 itself. I am working through APUE on FreeBSD, which is
    specifically supported by APUE along with a couple of other Unix
    variants.

    Jim

  15. Re: Is the book on schedule?

    That's odd; I ordered if from Amazon and it's saying expect a delivery
    date of Jan 6-Jan 9.
    Why would it be pushed out to Jan 20th....is it an issue further down
    the supply chain that is causing these delays?

  16. Re: Is the book on schedule?

    I got this message from amazon.com:

    I apologize for the unexpected delay of your order. I have researched
    the availability of "Operating Systems Design and Implementation (3rd
    Edition) (Prentice Hall Software Series)" and learned that this item
    has not yet been released and the expected release date is not known.

  17. Re: Is the book on schedule?

    You may wish to contact the publisher directly on this matter:
    http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/acad...SBN=0131429388

    -Gary

  18. Re: Is the book on schedule?

    Accoring to Amazon, the estimated shipping date is January 5, 2006.

  19. Re: Is the book on schedule?

    Sanjeev Das wrote:
    > Accoring to Amazon, the estimated shipping date is January 5, 2006.

    I'm using the book as a text for a course I'm teaching this semester.
    Fortunately,
    the desk copy arrived today (5 January) in the nick of time, and so
    should be shipping to paying customers (and students) soon.

  20. Re: Is the book on schedule?

    gestam wrote:
    > the desk copy arrived today (5 January) in the nick of time, and so
    > should be shipping to paying customers (and students) soon.

    I just checked the Prentice Hall link and the book now shows as 'status
    instock', with a publication date of 01/04/2006.

    http://vig.prenhall.com/catalog/acad...429388,00.html

    Won't be long now. I'm waiting for it to appear as available at
    www.nerdbooks.com. They don't list books until they have them in-hand,
    so once it shows up there, I know I can get it without further delay.

    Thanks.

    Jim

+ Reply to Thread