Are the Memory Manager and Process Manager are one server? - Minix

This is a discussion on Are the Memory Manager and Process Manager are one server? - Minix ; Hi! A colleague and I had some problems locating the Memory Manager (MM) in the minix source code. According to the Thesis from Herder (p.101/102) the servers are located in src/servers/, well but there is no MM, but we found ...

  1. Are the Memory Manager and Process Manager are one server?

    Hi!

    A colleague and I had some problems locating the
    Memory Manager (MM) in the minix source code.
    According to the Thesis from Herder (p.101/102) the
    servers are located in src/servers/, well but there
    is no MM, but we found that there is a lot of memory
    management code in the Process Manager (PM). This
    would mean, that the MM is merged into the PM,
    is this correct?
    And if the MM is contained in the PM, why was it done
    this way? (I guess it is more a practical approach.)

    thx in advance
    Bernhard

  2. Re: Are the Memory Manager and Process Manager are one server?

    Bernhard Kast wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > A colleague and I had some problems locating the
    > Memory Manager (MM) in the minix source code.
    > According to the Thesis from Herder (p.101/102) the
    > servers are located in src/servers/, well but there
    > is no MM, but we found that there is a lot of memory
    > management code in the Process Manager (PM). This
    > would mean, that the MM is merged into the PM,
    > is this correct?
    > And if the MM is contained in the PM, why was it done
    > this way? (I guess it is more a practical approach.)
    >
    > thx in advance
    > Bernhard

    First of all, what version of Minix are you looking at?

    Second of all, there isnt any published works to date that detail Minix 3.

  3. Re: Are the Memory Manager and Process Manager are one server?

    Minix Version 3.1.1;

    well, that doesn't mean nobody knows,
    I guess (and hope).

    Segin wrote:
    > Bernhard Kast wrote:
    >
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> A colleague and I had some problems locating the
    >> Memory Manager (MM) in the minix source code.
    >> According to the Thesis from Herder (p.101/102) the
    >> servers are located in src/servers/, well but there
    >> is no MM, but we found that there is a lot of memory
    >> management code in the Process Manager (PM). This
    >> would mean, that the MM is merged into the PM,
    >> is this correct?
    >> And if the MM is contained in the PM, why was it done
    >> this way? (I guess it is more a practical approach.)
    >>
    >> thx in advance
    >> Bernhard

    > First of all, what version of Minix are you looking at?
    >
    > Second of all, there isnt any published works to date that detail Minix 3.

  4. Re: Are the Memory Manager and Process Manager are one server?

    > ... he MM is merged into the PM, is this correct?
    > And if the MM is contained in the PM, why was it done
    > this way? (I guess it is more a practical approach.)

    Yes and no. In MINIX 2 and earlier versions, the PM was actually called
    MM. While I was working on MINIX 3, I thought PM would be a better name
    for what it does, and renamed it.

    The current server actually does both process management and memory
    management. In the next release, this will be different and there will be
    two separate servers for these tasks: a PM server and a MM server.

    Jorrit

+ Reply to Thread