installing MINIX from USB Memory stick - Minix

This is a discussion on installing MINIX from USB Memory stick - Minix ; Hi i have got a USB memory stick. I downloaded the image on to my system and put the decompressed image on to the USB Memory stick. BUt it does not seem to boot from the memory stick ...Can you ...

  1. installing MINIX from USB Memory stick

    Hi i have got a USB memory stick. I downloaded the image on to my
    system and put the decompressed image on to the USB Memory stick. BUt
    it does not seem to boot from the memory stick ...Can you help me out!!

  2. Re: installing MINIX from USB Memory stick

    In article <1134110556.962728.177090@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    RAM wrote:
    >Hi i have got a USB memory stick. I downloaded the image on to my
    >system and put the decompressed image on to the USB Memory stick. BUt
    >it does not seem to boot from the memory stick ...Can you help me out!!

    I think there are basically two reasons why a system will not boot from a
    USB stick:
    - the system does not support booting from USB devices. Sometimes this is a
    BIOS limitation, sometimes you have select the USB device as a boot device
    in the BIOS setup system.
    - The USB stick does not have a bootable partition. Te BIOS treats the
    USB stick as a harddisk. You have to make sure that the first sector contains
    a MBR, etc. If you just copy the Minix memory stick image as file in the
    (usually FAT) filesystem of te memory stick, it will not be bootable.

  3. Re: installing MINIX from USB Memory stick

    I also have trouble booting Minix from USB Memory stick.

    I downloaded the memory stick image, and i put it on my usb stick using dd,
    while the primary partition was not mounted. Something like
    dd -if= -of=/dev/sda1

    The result is a partition on the usb stick that Linux recognizes as a Minix
    filesystem on /dev/sda1 (as it should be, i suppose). I set that partition
    as bootable using the cfdisk program.

    The BIOS of the pc i want to boot Minix with definitely supports booting
    from a memorystick. The one problem left for me (i think) is: I don't know
    how to create a boot program that effectively launches Minix from the first
    partition. Does such a program already exist for memorysticks? Or should it
    be sufficient to set the right partition as bootable?

  4. Re: installing MINIX from USB Memory stick

    In article <43be772a$0$14131$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be>,
    Philip van Oosten wrote:
    >I also have trouble booting Minix from USB Memory stick.
    >
    >I downloaded the memory stick image, and i put it on my usb stick using dd,
    >while the primary partition was not mounted. Something like
    >dd -if= -of=/dev/sda1
    >
    >The result is a partition on the usb stick that Linux recognizes as a Minix
    >filesystem on /dev/sda1 (as it should be, i suppose). I set that partition
    >as bootable using the cfdisk program.

    The USB stick image contains a master bootblock. You have to copy the image
    to /dev/sda.