GUI - Minix

This is a discussion on GUI - Minix ; Hi, I have some questions about GUIs on Minix3: 1) Does the Minix3 community have interest in a GUI? (both X and non-X) 2) Who is actually working on non-X GUIs? Are there guidelines for architecture / driver model? How ...

  1. GUI

    Hi,

    I have some questions about GUIs on Minix3:

    1) Does the Minix3 community have interest in a GUI? (both X and non-X)

    2) Who is actually working on non-X GUIs? Are there guidelines for
    architecture / driver model? How is the progress?

    3) Who is actually working on porting X to Minix3? How is the progress?

    Thank you a lot for the attention.

    Best regards.

  2. Re: GUI

    cm wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have some questions about GUIs on Minix3:
    >
    > 1) Does the Minix3 community have interest in a GUI? (both X and non-X)
    >
    > 2) Who is actually working on non-X GUIs? Are there guidelines for
    > architecture / driver model? How is the progress?
    >
    > 3) Who is actually working on porting X to Minix3? How is the progress?
    >
    > Thank you a lot for the attention.
    >
    > Best regards.

    I hate to really state the obvious, but you're like the 10'th person so
    far to ask about a GUI. Maybe we need to 'print' a weekly GUI progress
    post... or even daily?

  3. Re: GUI

    Sorry I really missed the website page that says X Windows is being
    ported. Anyway, if there is some source of documentation on possible
    architecture for video drivers / framebuffer, I'll be very glad to
    cooperate. Thanks!

  4. Re: GUI

    In article <1134101236.409146.130450@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com>,
    cm wrote:
    >Sorry I really missed the website page that says X Windows is being
    >ported. Anyway, if there is some source of documentation on possible
    >architecture for video drivers / framebuffer, I'll be very glad to
    >cooperate. Thanks!

    According to

    I am working on X.

    X works, but the new kernel that supports X is still in alpha.

  5. Re: GUI

    "Philip Homburg" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:rgqqb8kv6vclfbffi5i334ndu2@inews_id.stereo.hq .phicoh.net...
    > In article <1134101236.409146.130450@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com>,
    > cm wrote:
    >>Sorry I really missed the website page that says X Windows is being
    >>ported. Anyway, if there is some source of documentation on possible
    >>architecture for video drivers / framebuffer, I'll be very glad to
    >>cooperate. Thanks!

    > According to
    >
    > I am working on X.
    >
    > X works, but the new kernel that supports X is still in alpha.

    Could you tell what the differences between this new alpha-kernel and the
    current one are?

    Tobias

  6. Re: GUI

    "cm" wrote:
    >I have some questions about GUIs on Minix3:
    >1) Does the Minix3 community have interest in a GUI? (both X and non-X)
    >>2) Who is actually working on non-X GUIs? Are there guidelines for

    >architecture / driver model? How is the progress? ...

    I am waiting for a decrease in pressure at work, to
    start working on a VNC server for Minix, followed
    by porting/writing a small GUI for that VNC server.

    By "small GUI" I mean a minimalist system,
    providing the functionality required to configure
    & monitor a myriad of industrial control systems.
    (No need for arbitrary shaped or transparent
    windows, skins, etc.)

    The target would be embedded/control systems, (my
    line of work,) without any display hardware. I want
    to have the network transparency provided by both
    X and VNC, but I do not need multiple clients
    connected to a single server, (X,) and I prefer
    the capacity to disconnect and reconnect to
    a stateless server without losing data. (VNC)

    A local VNC client could run on systems with display
    hardware, providing a local GUI without any change
    to the underlying infrastructure.

    PS: The next good things to happen to minix would be
    a PPC port (PPC405,440) and real time extensions.

    Roberto Waltman

    [ Please reply to the group, ]
    [ return address is invalid. ]

+ Reply to Thread