network setup - Minix

This is a discussion on network setup - Minix ; Could somebody, please, before I pull out the rest of my hair, tell me how do I set up the network on minix? I finally found an old NIC, Intel Pro 100, so I reinstall minix, enter "1" when prompted ...

  1. network setup

    Could somebody, please, before I pull out the rest of my hair, tell me
    how do I set up the network on minix?

    I finally found an old NIC, Intel Pro 100, so I reinstall minix, enter
    "1" when prompted for the network card, but I still have no network, I
    found info about modifying /etc/hosts and /etc/dhcp.conf files, ( I
    dont want to use dhcp) but one of the things I need for that is the MAC
    address, the command to get it returned something like "/dev/eth0 not
    present", so, does it means that the nic I found is not good, or am I
    missing something? the /usr/etc/rc.local file has fxp on it, and using
    "ps -af" or something like it, found that there is a fxp running. After
    modifying hosts and dhcp.conf, reboot, and still says no network...

    any faq I should be reading? any pointers?

  2. Re: network setup

    hi

    on my vmware minix the device is /dev/ip maybe you found the same
    device on our system.
    the configuration is very easy. maybe this help you
    http://web.syr.edu/~rbtiwari/images/MinixOnVmware.pdf

    here is a example for minix on vmware:
    ifconfig -I /dev/ip -h 192.168.36.111
    add_route -g 192.168.36.99 -d 0 -n 0

    check the man pages for ifconfig an add_route, for help on this
    commands.

    hope i could help you

  3. Re: network setup

    ka2 wrote:
    > Could somebody, please, before I pull out the rest of my hair, tell me
    > how do I set up the network on minix?
    >
    > I finally found an old NIC, Intel Pro 100, so I reinstall minix, enter
    > "1" when prompted for the network card, but I still have no network, I
    > found info about modifying /etc/hosts and /etc/dhcp.conf files, ( I
    > dont want to use dhcp) but one of the things I need for that is the MAC
    > address, the command to get it returned something like "/dev/eth0 not
    > present", so, does it means that the nic I found is not good, or am I
    > missing something? the /usr/etc/rc.local file has fxp on it, and using
    > "ps -af" or something like it, found that there is a fxp running. After
    > modifying hosts and dhcp.conf, reboot, and still says no network...
    >
    > any faq I should be reading? any pointers?

    That driver refuses to work with a subset of the Intel Fast Ether 100
    cards. I have one that 'fxp' explicitly said it didn't work with. Maybe
    this ethernet card had a revision that changed it's I/O protocols (e.g.
    your computer to the card itself) ever so slightly so that some old
    access commands are different or something like that. Try a different
    FXP card. It is obvious that your revision of that card *WILL NOT* work.
    Either code support for it into fxp or get a Realtek 8139.

  4. Re: network setup

    thanks a lot for the responses, yesterday I got a 3c509b, and followed
    the steps on the man pages (boot), I wrote the "hosts" file. When
    writing the "dhcp.conf" file, I tried to find the mac adddress using
    hostaddr -e, but it returns only 0:0:0:0..., I did put exactly that in
    the dhcp.conf file and the inet service seems to start, I can do ping
    localhost and it works, i can ping 192.168.1.44, (localhost) and it
    also works, but when try to ping something like 192.168.1.1, says it is
    unreachable, my network mask is 255.255.255.0, so 192.168.1.1 is the
    same network, there is no firewall in the middle either, I think the
    problem is because of the zeros in the mac. Am I missing something? How
    do I get the mac? is it zeros a good value?

    thanks!
    Karel

  5. Re: network setup

    ka2 wrote:
    > thanks a lot for the responses, yesterday I got a 3c509b, and followed
    > the steps on the man pages (boot), I wrote the "hosts" file. When
    > writing the "dhcp.conf" file, I tried to find the mac adddress using
    > hostaddr -e, but it returns only 0:0:0:0..., I did put exactly that in
    > the dhcp.conf file and the inet service seems to start, I can do ping
    > localhost and it works, i can ping 192.168.1.44, (localhost) and it
    > also works, but when try to ping something like 192.168.1.1, says it is
    > unreachable, my network mask is 255.255.255.0, so 192.168.1.1 is the
    > same network, there is no firewall in the middle either, I think the
    > problem is because of the zeros in the mac. Am I missing something? How
    > do I get the mac? is it zeros a good value?
    >
    > thanks!
    > Karel

    I had the same problem with the same card. Maybe the card is damaged
    (like mine is)

  6. Re: network setup

    On 12/08/05 16:11, ka2 wrote:
    > thanks a lot for the responses, yesterday I got a 3c509b, and followed
    > the steps on the man pages (boot), I wrote the "hosts" file. When
    > writing the "dhcp.conf" file, I tried to find the mac adddress using
    > hostaddr -e, but it returns only 0:0:0:0..., I did put exactly that in
    > the dhcp.conf file and the inet service seems to start, I can do ping
    > localhost and it works, i can ping 192.168.1.44, (localhost) and it
    > also works, but when try to ping something like 192.168.1.1, says it is
    > unreachable, my network mask is 255.255.255.0, so 192.168.1.1 is the
    > same network, there is no firewall in the middle either, I think the
    > problem is because of the zeros in the mac. Am I missing something? How
    > do I get the mac? is it zeros a good value?
    >
    > thanks!
    > Karel

    Did you setup the card properly? 3c509b were PnP boards and for minix
    you have to disable this feature. Run the setup program from the disk
    that came with the board.

    Not being able to read the MAC may be from a corrupted eeprom and in
    some cases not even the setup program works.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  7. Re: network setup

    ka2 wrote:

    > I finally found an old NIC, Intel Pro 100, so I reinstall minix, enter
    > "1" when prompted for the network card, but I still have no network, I

    > any faq I should be reading? any pointers?

    There isn't a FAQ yet, AFAIK. Here are some things to check when
    setting up Minix 3 ethernet:

    1. /etc/inet.conf (normally set OK by setup script).
    2. /usr/etc/rc.local (parameters set by setup script may not be
    correct for your card).
    3. boot parameters: some cards need one, for instance DPETH0=:
    even though this should be set in /usr/etc/rc.local.
    4. A home system may not have a dhcp server or a name server
    available, in which case you probably want to have custom
    /etc/rc.net, /etc/hosts, and possibly /etc/resolv.conf files
    installed.

    I think some inconsistencies in driver configuration are due to
    different people porting Minix 2 drivers without everyone having
    previously agreed upon exactly how the configuration should be managed
    in Minix 3.

    The setup script does a pretty good job for some cards but if you
    don't get it right the first time it is painful trying to figure out
    what went wrong. I found it was helpful to make a copy of the setup
    script and then hack it to make a "net_setup" script that can be used
    to redo the ethernet configuration when my first (or second) try did
    not work.

    Regarding boot parameters, the last time I looked the man pages that
    should explain these had not been updated since Minix 2.0.4. The only
    way to be sure you find all the boot parameters that may apply to a a
    particular card is to look at the source code for the driver.

    Disclaimer: for the new OSDI 3rd edition book the Minix 3 code was
    frozen as Minix 3.1.0, and the current release is already 3.1.1. Since
    my major preoccupation in recent months has been working on the new
    OSDI edition I have not updated Minix 3 since release 3.1.0, and there
    may be changes or additional documentation in 3.1.1 that I have
    missed.

    --
    +----------------------------------+
    | Albert S. Woodhull |

  8. Re: network setup

    In article <1133969173.778054.54820@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.c om>,
    ka2 wrote:
    >I finally found an old NIC, Intel Pro 100, so I reinstall minix, enter
    >"1" when prompted for the network card, but I still have no network, I
    >found info about modifying /etc/hosts and /etc/dhcp.conf files,

    Please add 'pci_debug=1' to the boot environment and check if the list of
    PCI devices includes the PRo/100 ethernet card.

    Another thing is to change 'VERBOSE' in /usr/src/drivers/fxp/fxp.h
    from 0 to 1. And run 'make install' in /usr/src/drivers/fxp.

  9. Re: network setup

    Thanks a lot for all the responses!, unfortunatly, when I received must
    of them, it was too late, I already installed the minimal redhat linux
    setup, with the same hadware, and is working just fine. I do need an
    small OS, so that I can take as much processor time as possible for the
    app I am writing. I will try and write the code in a portable way, so
    that if in the future, when minix becomes easier to use by a novice
    user I can go back to it.
    Please understand, I am not a OS developer, I dont know (nor need to
    know) how to write a kernel, I want to be able to use the OS to write
    applications, I dont want to worry about 5 diferent config files, I
    want a simple prompt, like linux setup, to use dhcp or to enter the
    ip/net mask, is not hard, and would make possible for developers (even
    users) to focus on writing applications. Dont get me wrong, I think
    minix is great, and maybe perfect for teaching OS, but if minix wants
    to become a real life OS, needs to have developers writing new
    applications, or maybe is only me. In any case, thanks a lot for the
    I dont know how to write kernel code, but can certainly make a web site
    to keep track of developments, sort of an online comunity for
    developers. If interested, please comment and write back to kalvarez2
    at yahoo dot com
    thanks again

  10. Re: network setup

    ka2 wrote:
    > Thanks a lot for all the responses!, unfortunatly, when I received must
    > of them, it was too late, I already installed the minimal redhat linux
    > setup, with the same hadware, and is working just fine. I do need an
    > small OS, so that I can take as much processor time as possible for the
    > app I am writing. I will try and write the code in a portable way, so
    > that if in the future, when minix becomes easier to use by a novice
    > user I can go back to it.
    > Please understand, I am not a OS developer, I dont know (nor need to
    > know) how to write a kernel, I want to be able to use the OS to write
    > applications, I dont want to worry about 5 diferent config files, I
    > want a simple prompt, like linux setup, to use dhcp or to enter the
    > ip/net mask, is not hard, and would make possible for developers (even
    > users) to focus on writing applications. Dont get me wrong, I think
    > minix is great, and maybe perfect for teaching OS, but if minix wants
    > to become a real life OS, needs to have developers writing new
    > applications, or maybe is only me. In any case, thanks a lot for the
    > I dont know how to write kernel code, but can certainly make a web site
    > to keep track of developments, sort of an online comunity for
    > developers. If interested, please comment and write back to kalvarez2
    > at yahoo dot com
    > thanks again

    Minix is simple on the setup. It will ask you a few basic questions, let
    you setup partitions, ask your ethernet card, and if ya use DHCP or not.
    then it will auto-configure and install for you.

    My Minix install required zero post-install (re)configuration.