app development - Minix

This is a discussion on app development - Minix ; Hi, I would like to write an application on minix, to send and receive voice over tcp, received from a voice modem. So the questions are: -Is there any sample c code to interface with the comm port? -I choose ...

  1. app development

    Hi,
    I would like to write an application on minix, to send and receive
    voice over tcp, received from a voice modem. So the questions are:

    -Is there any sample c code to interface with the comm port?

    -I choose minix because I think it has lower overhead than others OS,
    and I will need all the processor time I can get, is minix a good
    choice?

    thanks, any pointer appreciated

    ka2

    PS: I know I posted this question before, but thought that maybe I
    didnt explain myself or that, because it was Saturday night, everyone
    was out having fun, and not writing some code...or reading newsgroups.

  2. Re: app development

    hmm forgot to mention that I will be needing a lot of floating point
    math, and read a coment on the site sugesting minix would be slow, is
    it current? would Linux be better? any other small, super fast and
    reliable OS out there?

    thanks
    again

  3. Re: app development

    On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, ka2 wrote:
    > -Is there any sample c code to interface with the comm port?

    You might look at
    serial-ip (8)
    slip (8)
    kermit (9)
    and the associated code.

    3ch

  4. Re: app development

    ka2 wrote:
    > hmm forgot to mention that I will be needing a lot of floating point
    > math, and read a coment on the site sugesting minix would be slow, is
    > it current? would Linux be better? any other small, super fast and
    > reliable OS out there?
    >
    > thanks
    > again

    The only good alternative choice here isn't free.

    It's LynxOS.

  5. Re: app development

    All,

    On 5 Dec 2005 14:17:43 -0800, ka2 wrote:
    > hmm forgot to mention that I will be needing a lot of floating point
    > math, and read a coment on the site sugesting minix would be slow, is
    > it current? would Linux be better? any other small, super fast and
    > reliable OS out there?

    As minix currently doesn't save FPU state while context switching,
    ack (and gcc) generate software floating point code. It's not
    necessarily _too_ slow..

    =Ben

+ Reply to Thread