perl / getprotobyname socket function - Minix

This is a discussion on perl / getprotobyname socket function - Minix ; Hi all, I successfully installed perl 5.8.7 :-) Some of my perl scripts, especially those using Net::SMTP or IO::Socket::INET.pm, however do fail with the message "unsupported socket function 'getprotobyname'" :-( Is it correct that Minix 3 doesn't have this function ...

  1. perl / getprotobyname socket function

    Hi all,

    I successfully installed perl 5.8.7 :-)

    Some of my perl scripts, especially those using Net::SMTP or
    IO::Socket::INET.pm, however do fail with the message
    "unsupported socket function 'getprotobyname'" :-(

    Is it correct that Minix 3 doesn't have this function or
    is my installation wrong?
    If no, are there any workarounds?

    In some perl scripts I just replaced
    my($proto) = getprotobyname("tcp");
    with
    my($proto) = 6;

    but this doesn't seem to work everywhere, e.g. not here:
    http://www.thomas-fahle.de/pub/perl/...News/SMTP.html

    I also get the above message if I try to use cpan to install packages.

    Frank

  2. Re: perl / getprotobyname socket function

    In article ,
    Frank Haeseler wrote:
    >Is it correct that Minix 3 doesn't have this function or
    >is my installation wrong?

    Minix didn't have that function at the time it was released.

    I put the source I copied from BSD in

    Add that to the library (in lib/ip) and reconfigure perl.

  3. Re: perl / getprotobyname socket function

    Am 12/02/2005 11:24 PM schrieb Philip Homburg:
    > I put the source I copied from BSD in
    >

    > Add that to the library (in lib/ip) and reconfigure perl.

    Thank you very much, I already grabbed the file :-)

+ Reply to Thread