PCI-busdriver - Minix

This is a discussion on PCI-busdriver - Minix ; Hi, currently all the drivers for PCI-based cards need to link to the libpci and they all do the PCI-enumeration themselves. Are there any plans to move the functionality of this library into some kind of PCI-busdriver and then change ...

  1. PCI-busdriver

    Hi,

    currently all the drivers for PCI-based cards need to link to the libpci
    and they all do the PCI-enumeration themselves.

    Are there any plans to move the functionality of this library into some
    kind of PCI-busdriver and then change the libpci to just make calls into
    this driver?

    Tobias

  2. Re: PCI-busdriver

    In article ,
    Tobias Erichsen wrote:
    >Are there any plans to move the functionality of this library into some
    >kind of PCI-busdriver and then change the libpci to just make calls into
    >this driver?

    Yes.

  3. Re: PCI-busdriver

    I've been told that there are indeed plans in this direction. Such a
    scheme would allow global reservation of PCI devices, which is very
    useful when for example two pci devices that need the same driver are
    present on a system. (You can then just load two drivers. the first
    driver instance reserves the first soundcard, the second instance
    reserves the second...et voila

+ Reply to Thread