Horrific problems MINIX 3 on IBM Thinkpad 770 - Minix

This is a discussion on Horrific problems MINIX 3 on IBM Thinkpad 770 - Minix ; I have been trying to install MINIX 3 from http://www.minix3.org/download/ onto my Thinkpad 770 now for several weeks without success. This is a machine that runs Minix 2 just fine! It has 228,800 KB of RAM, and is a Pentium ...

  1. Horrific problems MINIX 3 on IBM Thinkpad 770

    I have been trying to install MINIX 3 from
    http://www.minix3.org/download/ onto my Thinkpad 770 now for several
    weeks without success. This is a machine that runs Minix 2 just fine!

    It has 228,800 KB of RAM, and is a Pentium at 233 MHz with CD-ROM and
    floppy drive.

    When I try to boot from just the CD, I get "Read error 20"

    When I use the bootflop.img in the floppy and the IDE-3.1.1.iso CD in
    the CD drive, it boots to the point where it says these things:

    Looking for boot CD. This may take a minute.
    Please ignore any error messages.

    unrecognized magic number
    AT-D3: com_out: drive not ready
    AT-D3: controller not ready
    FS panic (main.c): Cannot open RAM image device

    (pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del yields, additionally

    sys_call: dead destination, function 3, caller 0
    sys_call: dead destination, function 3, caller 0
    sys_call: dead destination, function 3, caller 0

    (yes, same line 3 times!)

    Then it hangs. Ctrl-Alt-Del a few more times does get me to the fd0>
    prompt but re-booting gets me the same result as before.

    The CD-ROM image is good, as it will boot in my Thinkpad A31p just
    fine. Also, I know that the CD-ROM drive in the Thinkpad 770 is fine,
    as I run NetBSD on that machine just fine and I can mount and read CDs
    all day.

    So, something is horribly broken in MINIX 3.

    Thanks for any help.

    -GPF

  2. Re: Horrific problems MINIX 3 on IBM Thinkpad 770

    In article <1133513102.932274.227850@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    MOB.GPF@gmail.com wrote:
    >I have been trying to install MINIX 3 from
    >http://www.minix3.org/download/ onto my Thinkpad 770 now for several
    >weeks without success. This is a machine that runs Minix 2 just fine!

    Is it possible to read the CD-ROM with Minix 2?

  3. Re: Horrific problems MINIX 3 on IBM Thinkpad 770

    MOB.GPF@gmail.com wrote:
    >I have been trying to install MINIX 3 from
    >http://www.minix3.org/download/ onto my Thinkpad 770 now for several
    >weeks without success. This is a machine that runs Minix 2 just fine!
    >
    >It has 228,800 KB of RAM, and is a Pentium at 233 MHz with CD-ROM and
    >floppy drive.
    >
    >When I try to boot from just the CD, I get "Read error 20"

    Another thing that may work is 'USB CD-ROM' image. That image uses
    the BIOS to read the CD-ROM.

  4. Re: Horrific problems MINIX 3 on IBM Thinkpad 770

    The USB CDROM does indeed get further, thanks for the hints. But now
    it says:

    bios-d7: 304 cylinders, 29 heads, 48 sectors per track
    FS panic (main.c): Bad RAM disk image FS Panic in RS: warning: couldn't
    get copy of dmap table: 109

    and then it hangs. ctrl-alt-del gives me a funny-looking prompt:

    d;p0s0>

    -----

    I couldn't figure out how to mount the disk under Minx 2 (that is, it
    should be:
    $ mount -r /dev/c0d1p0s0 /mnt or something like that, but I
    tried a bunch of different combinations like /dev/c1d0p0s0 and
    /dev/c0d1 and /dev/c0d1p0s1 etc with no luck).

    Thanks again -GPF

  5. Re: Horrific problems MINIX 3 on IBM Thinkpad 770

    In article <1133786787.689056.126580@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    MOB.GPF@gmail.com wrote:
    >The USB CDROM does indeed get further, thanks for the hints. But now
    >it says:
    >
    >bios-d7: 304 cylinders, 29 heads, 48 sectors per track
    >FS panic (main.c): Bad RAM disk image FS Panic in RS: warning: couldn't
    >get copy of dmap table: 109
    >
    >and then it hangs. ctrl-alt-del gives me a funny-looking prompt:
    >
    >d;p0s0>

    You mean with the semi-colon? It looks like your notebook tries to be
    incompatible with Minix 3 in every possible way.

    >-----
    >
    >I couldn't figure out how to mount the disk under Minx 2 (that is, it
    >should be:
    >$ mount -r /dev/c0d1p0s0 /mnt or something like that, but I
    >tried a bunch of different combinations like /dev/c1d0p0s0 and
    >/dev/c0d1 and /dev/c0d1p0s1 etc with no luck).

    Can you try isodir on /dev/c0d1 (if that is your CD-ROM device).

  6. Re: Horrific problems MINIX 3 on IBM Thinkpad 770

    Yes, it really did say ">d;p0s0" with a semicolon.

    I would prefer to phrase it as Minix3 is trying to be incompatible with
    my notebook(!). ;-)

    Running isodir /dev/c0d1 reports "at-d1: probe failed"
    then "cannot open /dev/c0d1"

    I also tried isodir /dev/c1d0 , c1d1, c2d0, etc, etc. They all return
    "cannot open /dev/c"

    I figured I'd boot NetBSD which has run well on this machine. The
    "dmesg" output is below, but some relevant lines seem to be:

    wd0 at atabus0 drive 0:
    wd0: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA48 addressing
    wd0: 19077 MB, 38760 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 39070080
    sectors
    wd0: 32-bit data port
    wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 5
    (Ultra/100)
    wd0(piixide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (Ultra/33) (using
    DMA)
    atapibus0 at atabus1: 2 targets
    cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0:
    cdrom removable
    cd0: 32-bit data port
    cd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
    cd0(piixide0:1:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA)

    Perhaps this provides a hint as to what the proper CD-ROM device number
    is?

    Maybe this will help debug Minix3's boot process so I can try Minix3 on
    this machine.

    Thank you for your help.

    -GPF

    NetBSD 3.0_RC1 (GENERIC_LAPTOP) #0: Thu Nov 17 20:11:15 UTC 2005

    builds@b2.netbsd.org:/home/builds/ab/netbsd-3-0-RC1/i386/200511171553Z-obj/home/builds/ab/netbsd-3-0-RC1/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC_LAPTOP
    total memory = 223 MB
    avail memory = 212 MB
    BIOS32 rev. 0 found at 0xfd820
    PCI BIOS rev. 2.1 found at 0xfd880
    pcibios: config mechanism [1][x], special cycles [1][x], last bus 6
    PCI IRQ Routing Table rev. 1.0 found at 0xf9f90, size 96 bytes (4
    entries)
    PCI Interrupt Router at 000:01:0
    PCI Exclusive IRQs: 11
    device vendor product pin PIRQ IRQ stage
    000:01:2 0x8086 0x7112 D 0x03 11 0 already assigned
    000:02:0 0x104c 0xac16 A 0x00 11 0 fixed up
    000:02:1 0x104c 0xac16 B 0x01 11 0 fixed up
    000:03:0 0x1023 0x9397 A 0x00 11 0 already assigned
    PCI fixup examining 8086:7100
    PCI fixup examining 8086:7110
    PCI fixup examining 8086:7111
    PCI fixup examining 8086:7112
    PCI fixup examining 8086:7113
    PCI fixup examining 104c:ac16
    PCI bridge 0: primary 0, secondary 1, subordinate 1
    PCI fixup examining 104c:ac16
    PCI bridge 1: primary 0, secondary 2, subordinate 2
    PCI fixup examining 1023:9397
    PCI bus #2 is the last bus
    [System BIOS Setting]-----------------------
    device vendor product
    register space address size
    000:00:0 0x8086 0x7100
    [OK]
    000:01:0 0x8086 0x7110
    [OK]
    000:01:1 0x8086 0x7111
    20h port 0x0000fcf0 0x00000010
    [OK]
    000:01:2 0x8086 0x7112
    20h port 0x00008400 0x00000020
    [OK]
    000:01:3 0x8086 0x7113
    [OK]
    000:02:0 0x104c 0xac16
    10h mem 0x20821000 0x00001000
    [OK]
    000:02:1 0x104c 0xac16
    10h mem 0x20820000 0x00001000
    [OK]
    000:03:0 0x1023 0x9397
    10h mem 0x20400000 0x00400000
    14h mem 0x20800000 0x00020000
    18h mem 0x20000000 0x00400000
    [OK]
    --------------------------[ 0 devices bogus]
    Physical memory end: 0x0dfcc000
    PCI memory mapped I/O space start: 0x0e000000
    mainbus0 (root)
    cpu0 at mainbus0: (uniprocessor)
    cpu0: Intel Pentium/MMX (Tillamook) (586-class), 233.88 MHz, id 0x581
    cpu0: features 8001bf
    cpu0: features 8001bf
    pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1
    pci0: i/o space, memory space enabled, rd/line, rd/mult, wr/inv ok
    pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0
    pchb0: Intel 82439TX (MTXC) System Controller (rev. 0x01)
    pcib0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0
    pcib0: Intel 82371AB (PIIX4) PCI-ISA Bridge (rev. 0x01)
    piixide0 at pci0 dev 1 function 1
    piixide0: Intel 82371AB IDE controller (PIIX4) (rev. 0x01)
    piixide0: bus-master DMA support present
    piixide0: primary channel wired to compatibility mode
    piixide0: primary channel interrupting at irq 14
    atabus0 at piixide0 channel 0
    piixide0: secondary channel wired to compatibility mode
    piixide0: secondary channel interrupting at irq 15
    atabus1 at piixide0 channel 1
    uhci0 at pci0 dev 1 function 2: Intel 82371AB (PIIX4) USB Host
    Controller (rev. 0x01)
    uhci0: interrupting at irq 11
    usb0 at uhci0: USB revision 1.0
    uhub0 at usb0
    uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
    Intel 82371AB (PIIX4) Power Management Controller (miscellaneous
    bridge, revision 0x01) at pci0 dev 1 function 3 not configured
    cbb0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0: Texas Instruments PCI1250 PCI-CardBus
    Bridge (rev. 0x01)
    cbb1 at pci0 dev 2 function 1: Texas Instruments PCI1250 PCI-CardBus
    Bridge (rev. 0x01)
    vga1 at pci0 dev 3 function 0: Trident Microsystems CYBER 9397 (rev.
    0xf3)
    wsdisplay0 at vga1 kbdmux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
    wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
    isa0 at pcib0
    lpt0 at isa0 port 0x378-0x37b irq 7
    com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo
    pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60-0x64
    pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
    pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
    wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
    pms0 at pckbc0 (aux slot)
    pckbc0: using irq 12 for aux slot
    wsmouse0 at pms0 mux 0
    sb0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x237 irq 5 drq 1: dsp v3.02
    audio0 at sb0: half duplex, mmap, independent
    midi0 at sb0: SB MIDI UART
    opl0 at sb0: model OPL3
    midi1 at opl0: SB Yamaha OPL3
    pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
    midi2 at pcppi0: PC speaker
    sysbeep0 at pcppi0
    isapnp0 at isa0 port 0x279: ISA Plug 'n Play device support
    npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0-0xff: using exception 16
    fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2
    isapnp0: no ISA Plug 'n Play devices found
    cbb0: interrupting at irq 11
    cardslot0 at cbb0 slot 0 flags 0
    cardbus0 at cardslot0: bus 1 device 0
    pcmcia0 at cardslot0
    cbb1: interrupting at irq 11
    cardslot1 at cbb1 slot 1 flags 0
    cardbus1 at cardslot1: bus 2 device 0
    pcmcia1 at cardslot1
    apm0 at mainbus0: Power Management spec V1.2
    Kernelized RAIDframe activated
    cbb0: wait took 0.010276s
    wi0 at pcmcia0 function 0: 01.00, >
    wi0: 802.11 address 00:30:ab:05:fa:85
    wi0: using RF:PRISM2 MAC:HFA3841 CARD:HWB3163 rev.B
    wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary (0.3.0), Station (0.8.3)
    wi0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
    wd0 at atabus0 drive 0:
    wd0: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA48 addressing
    wd0: 19077 MB, 38760 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 39070080
    sectors
    wd0: 32-bit data port
    wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 5
    (Ultra/100)
    wd0(piixide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (Ultra/33) (using
    DMA)
    atapibus0 at atabus1: 2 targets
    cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0:
    cdrom removable
    cd0: 32-bit data port
    cd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
    cd0(piixide0:1:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA)
    boot device: wd0
    root on wd0a dumps on wd0b

  7. Re: Horrific problems MINIX 3 on IBM Thinkpad 770

    In article <1133868546.510106.165970@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    MOB.GPF@gmail.com wrote:
    >Running isodir /dev/c0d1 reports "at-d1: probe failed"
    >then "cannot open /dev/c0d1"
    >
    >I also tried isodir /dev/c1d0 , c1d1, c2d0, etc, etc. They all return
    >"cannot open /dev/c"
    >
    >I figured I'd boot NetBSD which has run well on this machine. The
    >"dmesg" output is below, but some relevant lines seem to be:
    >
    >atapibus0 at atabus1: 2 targets
    >cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0:

    I think this is /dev/c0d2

  8. Re: Horrific problems MINIX 3 on IBM Thinkpad 770

    # isodir /dev/c0d2
    cannot open /dev/c0d2

    There are some other funny things; although the machine has 228M of
    memory, Minix 2 (or 3, as far as it gets) reports: Memory size = 66119K

    Is there any sort of "autoprobe" mechanism in minix2 so that it could
    tell me what it thinks the CD-ROM is? (like NetBSD tells me that I
    should use /dev/cd0 to refer to the CD-ROM).

    Thanks again

    -GPF

  9. Re: Horrific problems MINIX 3 on IBM Thinkpad 770

    In article <1133873101.274635.111280@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    MOB.GPF@gmail.com wrote:
    ># isodir /dev/c0d2
    >cannot open /dev/c0d2

    If it doesn't work for c0d0, c0d1, c0d2 and c0d3, then probably Minix 2
    also does not support your CD-ROM drive. In which case, the bug is not a
    new feature of Minix 3 :-)

    >There are some other funny things; although the machine has 228M of
    >memory, Minix 2 (or 3, as far as it gets) reports: Memory size = 66119K

    I think that this happens when the BIOS call that is needed for more than
    64 MB fails.

    Given that the boot monitor doesn't seem to like your BIOS, this is quite
    likely.

    The boot environment variable 'memory' contains boot's idea of where
    free memory is.

    >Is there any sort of "autoprobe" mechanism in minix2 so that it could
    >tell me what it thinks the CD-ROM is? (like NetBSD tells me that I
    >should use /dev/cd0 to refer to the CD-ROM).

    There is nothing like that in Minix 2. There is such a probing mechnism
    in Minix 3, but apparently it fails in your machine.

  10. Re: Horrific problems MINIX 3 on IBM Thinkpad 770

    I've updated the Thinkpad 770 to the latest IBM BIOS. What I am now
    able to do is:
    $ isodir /dev/c0p2

    That's under Minix2.

    However, everything else is still broken. Minix{2,3} reports 66MB when
    there's actually 228MB.

    The "USB" Minix3 CDROM boot gets exactly as far as it did before, like
    this:

    Boot medium driver: BIOS driver mapped onto controller c0.
    bios-d7: 4225536 sectors
    FS panic (main.c): Bad RAM disk image FS Panic in RS: warning: couldn't
    get copy of dmap table: 109

    I truly believe this is a Minix 3 problem.

    Thanks for your help, again,

    -GPF

    p.s. This machine boots W98SE, linux and NetBSD just fine, and I'll try
    FreeBSD, OpenBSD, PicoBSD or whatever other free OS you'd like me to
    try. It's ONLY Minix3 that doesn't work. That's why I think it's a
    Minix3 problem.

    p.p.s. The "IDE" version of the CD-ROM only says "Read Error 20" and
    then hangs. The "USB" version gets further, as noted above.

  11. Re: Horrific problems MINIX 3 on IBM Thinkpad 770

    Hi, can anybody help me? I'm trying to get Minix3 running on a stock
    IBM 770 Thinkpad with latest BIOS. The USB CD-Rom has a FS panic
    (main.c): Bad RAM disk image FS Panic in RS: warning: couldn't get copy
    of dmap table: 109

    This machine runs Minix 2 just fine. Minix2 can read CD-ROMs just
    fine.

    What broke going from Minix 2 to Minix 3?

    Thanks for any help!

    -GPF

  12. Re: Horrific problems MINIX 3 on IBM Thinkpad 770

    I have been following your plight with greate interest since I also have
    been trying to install Minix 3 on a Thinkpad 770z. I haven't jumped in
    because I'm having the exact same problems you had and could only confirm
    you weren't nuts. I created 3 partitions, installed and can run Debian and
    Windows ME on 2 partitions and Minix 2.x on the 3rd. Following (partially)
    the suggestions made by Al Woodhull in the "Minix CD format" thread I have
    cracked it (at least on my 770z) and got Minix 3 installed and running.

    Using a desktop I have running with Minix 3 I took the Minix 3 install cd
    and mounted it as Al suggested. I mounted the boot floppy made from
    the Minix bootflop.img. I copying the folders and files over from
    dev/c0d2p1 to the floppy. You'll need to clean out the floppy's boot
    directory first or you won't have room for the files from the cd's boot
    directory. Having done that, I booted my 770z using this floppy and
    escaped out to the monitor before the boot menu timed out and launched.
    Insert the install cd and set the image variable to /boot/image/3.1.1r0
    and boot from the monitor. At this point, this image didn't choke, found
    my cd and happily booted. From there the install ran normally and Minix is
    loaded and running on the 3rd partition.

    I haven't done any other testing except for making sure grub stills works
    and I can boot into linux, windows, or minix, and minix at least sees the
    cdrom.

    Good luck,

    Doug

    When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by
    reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 04:52:01 -0800, MOB.GPF@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi, can anybody help me? I'm trying to get Minix3 running on a stock IBM
    > 770 Thinkpad with latest BIOS. The USB CD-Rom has a FS panic (main.c):
    > Bad RAM disk image FS Panic in RS: warning: couldn't get copy of dmap
    > table: 109
    >
    > This machine runs Minix 2 just fine. Minix2 can read CD-ROMs just fine.
    >
    > What broke going from Minix 2 to Minix 3?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    >
    > -GPF

  13. Re: Horrific problems MINIX 3 on IBM Thinkpad 770

    Thanks, Doug, for your suggestions. I looked at the "Minix CD format"
    thread and tried to do what was suggested. Strangely, the invisible
    partitions on the Minix3 cdrom are not visible on NetBSD - perhaps I'm
    not using the correct incantation, but I could not find a suitable
    filesystem "type" there.

    I do not have Minix3 running on a desktop, so using Minix3 to boot the
    Thinkpad 770 is not possible.

    At this point, I guess I'm going to have to wait for the next revision
    of Minix3, which, hopefully, will fix the horrific boot bugs I'm
    currently experiencing.

    I must say, this pain on this Thinkpad 770 (which has booted
    successfully every other OS I've ever tried, _including_ my own OS(!))
    with Minix3 does not inspire confidence that other parts of the
    system's code have been built sufficiently robustly for the intended
    class of devices - embedded computers.

    Thanks all for your help, as we look forward to newer versions of
    Minix3 !

    -GPF

  14. Re: Horrific problems MINIX 3 on IBM Thinkpad 770

    MOB.GPF@gmail.com wrote:
    > Thanks, Doug, for your suggestions. I looked at the "Minix CD format"
    > thread and tried to do what was suggested. Strangely, the invisible
    > partitions on the Minix3 cdrom are not visible on NetBSD - perhaps I'm
    > not using the correct incantation, but I could not find a suitable
    > filesystem "type" there.
    >
    > I do not have Minix3 running on a desktop, so using Minix3 to boot the
    > Thinkpad 770 is not possible.
    >
    > At this point, I guess I'm going to have to wait for the next revision
    > of Minix3, which, hopefully, will fix the horrific boot bugs I'm
    > currently experiencing.
    >
    > I must say, this pain on this Thinkpad 770 (which has booted
    > successfully every other OS I've ever tried, _including_ my own OS(!))
    > with Minix3 does not inspire confidence that other parts of the
    > system's code have been built sufficiently robustly for the intended
    > class of devices - embedded computers.
    >
    > Thanks all for your help, as we look forward to newer versions of
    > Minix3 !
    >
    > -GPF

    The 'Invisible' partition are of filesystem type minixv3fs (which NetBSD
    *does not* support, neither does anything but Minix 3).
    minixv1fs and minxv2fs are supported by Linux, but not Minix 3 due to a
    FS bug (it does check for V2 and V1 filesystems, I saw the code myself)

    Our problem is that we need someone to edit the current Minix fs driver
    in Linux to get in Minix3 support. Then we can take that code and go to
    FreeBSD, NetBSD, etc.

+ Reply to Thread