Multi-processing support in Minix - Minix

This is a discussion on Multi-processing support in Minix - Minix ; Hello everyone, Allow me to introduce my self first. I'm Mohammed Gamal, a final-year student of Computer Science in Cairo University, and I've been considering to include multi-processing support in Minix as my final- year graduation project, especially with multi-core ...

  1. Multi-processing support in Minix

    Hello everyone,
    Allow me to introduce my self first. I'm Mohammed Gamal, a final-year
    student of Computer Science in Cairo University, and I've been
    considering to include multi-processing support in Minix as my final-
    year graduation project, especially with multi-core CPUs becoming more
    common place.

    I've good experience programming with C/C++ and x86 assembly, however
    I am still fairly new to OS development, and have only had brief
    exposure to the Linux kernel. I haven't delved much into the Minix
    code, but as far as I've seen till now that it's very clean and simple
    and this is what motivates me to take on such a project.

    As far as I understand that adding this capability will mainly require
    these changes to the kernel:
    - Modify the boot and initialization routines to detect and support
    the additional CPUs/cores
    - Modify the kernel synchronization primitives to be capable of
    handling multiple CPUs and protect the kernel's data structures
    against concurrent access
    - Modify the scheduler in order to perform some kind of load balancing
    between the CPUs.

    So is that just what's really needed to make Minix capable of multi-
    processing, or is it more than just that? and would these "massive"
    changes (as described in an earlier thread) be doable within the
    course of a year (we should have it done by July) bearing in mind
    other academic commitments (and I especially direct the last questions
    to fellow student )?

    Best Regards,
    Mohammed

  2. Re: Multi-processing support in Minix

    On Oct 4, 9:11 pm, Mohammed Gamal wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    > Allow me to introduce my self first. I'm Mohammed Gamal, a final-year
    > student of Computer Science in Cairo University, and I've been
    > considering to include multi-processing support in Minix as my final-
    > year graduation project, especially with multi-core CPUs becoming more
    > common place.
    >
    > I've good experience programming with C/C++ and x86 assembly, however
    > I am still fairly new to OS development, and have only had brief
    > exposure to the Linux kernel. I haven't delved much into the Minix
    > code, but as far as I've seen till now that it's very clean and simple
    > and this is what motivates me to take on such a project.
    >
    > As far as I understand that adding this capability will mainly require
    > these changes to the kernel:
    > - Modify the boot and initialization routines to detect and support
    > the additional CPUs/cores
    > - Modify the kernel synchronization primitives to be capable of
    > handling multiple CPUs and protect the kernel's data structures
    > against concurrent access
    > - Modify the scheduler in order to perform some kind of load balancing
    > between the CPUs.
    >
    > So is that just what's really needed to make Minix capable of multi-
    > processing, or is it more than just that? and would these "massive"
    > changes (as described in an earlier thread) be doable within the
    > course of a year (we should have it done by July) bearing in mind
    > other academic commitments (and I especially direct the last questions
    > to fellow student )?
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Mohammed

    You can check www.minix3.org website - who is working on what -
    section.
    There is a guy who is working on dual core support.

    Cheers,
    Ameya.

+ Reply to Thread