Unable to reinstall USB drivers in Win98SE - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Unable to reinstall USB drivers in Win98SE - Microsoft Windows ; Hi everybody! I was working fine with my Kingston Data Traveler 256 MB and 4 GB Transcend USB memory sticks under Win98SE. Then I got a 2GB Kingston and, because this one cannot be read under Win98SE, I decided to ...

  1. Unable to reinstall USB drivers in Win98SE

    Hi everybody!

    I was working fine with my Kingston Data Traveler 256 MB and 4 GB
    Transcend USB memory sticks under Win98SE. Then I got a 2GB Kingston
    and, because this one cannot be read under Win98SE, I decided to
    install the generic driver in [http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/
    kb/usbmsd98.php]. After having installed this driver, my computer went
    extremely unstable so, I decided to remove it and ... how do I
    reinstall the original
    drivers or,at least, how can I make the plug-and-play system to
    recognize the hardware and reinstall the drivers?

    After making some reinstallations, at one point, the memory could be
    read, but did not show up in Windows Explorer. Then I kept on trying,
    the worst happened: no detection of any usb device connected.

    What I want to do is:

    1. Restore the USB drivers that came originally with Win98SE. (of
    course I have my Windows Installation disk)

    2. After this, I presume that I could be able to reinstall the
    Kingston driver and reinstall the
    Transcend driver, (both of them worked fine before)

    Any help will be appreciated.

    Regards,

    Marco.

    ------------------------------------
    Freedom is not permission for chaos.

  2. Re: Unable to reinstall USB drivers in Win98SE

    > I was working fine with my Kingston Data Traveler 256 MB and 4 GB
    > Transcend
    > USB memory sticks under Win98SE. Then I got a 2GB Kingston and, because
    > this one cannot be read under Win98SE, I decided to install the generic
    > driver in [http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php].
    > After having installed this driver, my computer went extremely unstable

    when you installed it, did you first remove all existing
    USBflashmemory-drivers
    and all USB controllers drivers ?

    you can probably find more info about the win98SE generic driver 3.3 you
    used
    at the forums
    http://www.msfn.org/board/Maximum-De...SB-t43605.html

    > so, I decided to remove it and ... how do I reinstall the original
    > drivers
    > or,at least, how can I make the plug-and-play system to recognize the
    > hardware

    you can probably delete the usb things in the device manager and restart.
    then you probably should reinstall the usb controller driver that belongs
    your chipset (motherboard)

    But if I were you, I whould first try to install the generic one again
    and write about what stability problem you get in its forum thread so the
    driver developer can hopefully that in next version.

  3. by the way...

    Den 2008-11-02 03:22:44 skrev Marco A. Cruz Quevedo :
    > Hi everybody!
    > I was working fine with my Kingston Data Traveler 256 MB and 4 GB

    btw, do NOT multipost this kind of question to
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 or
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.vxd
    ^^^^^^^^^^

  4. Re: Unable to reinstall USB drivers in Win98SE

    Thanks for your response.

    Finally I erased all USB controllers and drivers I found by booting in
    SAFE MODE, because in that mode, more USB drivers and devices are
    shown and then, I had to search through the registry to erase
    everyting that said 'Kinsgton' in order to make the plug-and-play
    system detected the USB root hub and then I could successfully install
    Kingston drivers.
    About the Transcend driver, it could be installed, with no complain
    messages, but no icon is shown when the Transcend memory is inserted.
    I think I have to look for further.

    My doubt is, what are the minimum file set to have a USB device
    working ( I mean which usb*.sys, usb*.vxd [that is why I posted to
    comp*.vxd] are required and if they could be installed 'by hand'
    manipulating the registry)

    Regards,

    Marco

    ---------------------
    Freedom is no a permission for chaos.

    On Nov 6, 1:38 pm, teebo wrote:
    > > I was working fine with my Kingston Data Traveler 256 MB and 4 GB
    > > Transcend
    > > USB memory sticks under Win98SE. Then I got a 2GB Kingston and, because
    > > this one cannot be read under Win98SE, I decided to install the generic
    > > driver in [http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php].
    > > After having installed this driver, my computer went extremely unstable

    > when you installed it, did you first remove all existing
    > USBflashmemory-drivers
    > and all USB controllers drivers ?
    >
    > you can probably find more info about the win98SE generic driver 3.3 you
    > used
    > at the forums http://www.msfn.org/board/Maximum-De...SB-t43605.html
    >
    > > so, I decided to remove it and ... how do I reinstall the original
    > > drivers
    > > or,at least, how can I make the plug-and-play system to recognize the
    > > hardware

    > you can probably delete the usb things in the device manager and restart.
    > then you probably should reinstall the usb controller driver that belongs
    > your chipset (motherboard)
    >
    > But if I were you, I whould first try to install the generic one again
    > and write about what stability problem you get in its forum thread so the
    > driver developer can hopefully that in next version.

  5. Re: Unable to reinstall USB drivers in Win98SE

    Hello..
    I have a suggestion for your posted problem..
    You may remove the old installed drivers from your computer.
    For this just right click on my computer > properties>devise manager
    Then after try to reinstall it..
    Hope it will work..
    Thank you..

  6. Re: Unable to reinstall USB drivers in Win98SE

    Keep it simple, if you didn't remove the USB drives and you installed the new one over it, then there is no problem as removing the drivers that you last updated would be just enough and would in a situation that it was prior to installation, or else you can also have the restore your computer to a date before you updated the drivers. Hope that it would help in the future.

  7. Re: Unable to reinstall USB drivers in Win98SE

    fter making some reinstallations, at one point, the memory could be
    read, but did not show up in Windows Explorer. Then I kept on trying,
    the worst happened: no detection of any usb device connected.

+ Reply to Thread