Vista Kills Battery after hours on Laptop? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Vista Kills Battery after hours on Laptop? - Microsoft Windows ; I have a Compaq Presario FW739WM laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium. I like for obvious reasons to put it in Hibernation (quicker access and can save work) when I'm not using it. Now, Vista seems to hibernate and the ...

  1. Vista Kills Battery after hours on Laptop?

    I have a Compaq Presario FW739WM laptop with Windows Vista Home
    Premium.

    I like for obvious reasons to put it in Hibernation (quicker access
    and can save work) when I'm not using it.

    Now, Vista seems to hibernate and the whole machine seems to turn off.

    Now when the machine is turned on soon enough, it will go to "Resuming
    Windows" and it looks all good.

    Yet if I wait a day or two to turn on the laptop, the battery is dead,
    and a different Windows prompt shows.

    It says something like, Windows has shutdown due to critical battery
    life. This says to me, that for some reason the machine wasn't even
    off, because if the battery died on it's own, I would think Windows
    would not know it, then when plugged in, would say, "Resuming
    Windows".

    Is Windows still running stuff killing the battery when under
    Hibernation?

  2. Re: Vista Kills Battery after hours on Laptop?

    Hiibernation uses no power. Standby does. It looks like your laptop is going into
    Standby mode, not Hibernation.

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 04:59:06 -0700 (PDT), RedPenguin wrote:

    -|I have a Compaq Presario FW739WM laptop with Windows Vista Home
    -|Premium.
    -|
[...]

  3. Re: Vista Kills Battery after hours on Laptop?

    On Oct 17, 9:24*am, Herman D. Knoble
    wrote:
    > Hiibernation uses no power. Standby does. It looks like your laptop is going into
    > Standby mode, not Hibernation.
    >
    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 04:59:06 -0700 (PDT), RedPenguin wrote:
    >
    > -|I have a Compaq Presario FW739WM laptop with Windows Vista Home
    > -|Premium.
    > -|
    > -|I like for obvious reasons to put it in Hibernation (quicker access
    > -|and can save work) when I'm not using it.
    > -|
    > -|Now, Vista seems to hibernate and the whole machine seems to turn off.
    > -|
    > -|Now when the machine is turned on soon enough, it will go to "Resuming
    > -|Windows" and it looks all good.
    > -|
    > -|Yet if I wait a day or two to turn on the laptop, the battery is dead,
    > -|and a different Windows prompt shows.
    > -|
    > -|It says something like, Windows has shutdown due to critical battery
    > -|life. This says to me, that for some reason the machine wasn't even
    > -|off, because if the battery died on it's own, I would think Windows
    > -|would not know it, then when plugged in, would say, "Resuming
    > -|Windows".
    > -|
    > -|Is Windows still running stuff killing the battery when under
    > -|Hibernation?

    Is this possible, even though the machine appears to be turned off and
    seems to power down? I mean I have to press the power button, wait for
    the Compaq Logo, and then resume windows, so I though it literally was
    Hibernation.

  4. Re: Vista Kills Battery after hours on Laptop?

    Check your Power options in Control Panel/Power Options, Advanced tab.
    This determines what happens with what action you take.

    -|wrote:
    -|> Hiibernation uses no power. Standby does. It looks like your laptop is going into
    -|> Standby mode, not Hibernation.
    -|>
    -|> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 04:59:06 -0700 (PDT), RedPenguin
    wrote:
    -|>
    -|> -|I have a Compaq Presario FW739WM laptop with Windows Vista Home
    -|> -|Premium.
    -|> -|
[...]

+ Reply to Thread