Web stopped working after AVG found a virus in ZoneAlarm - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Web stopped working after AVG found a virus in ZoneAlarm - Microsoft Windows ; This morning, AVG discovered a virus of some sort in ZoneAlarm, and apparently did a bad job of disinfecting it. Mail and news work but the web doesn't -- I can't go to google, I can't go to either ZoneAlarm's ...

  1. Web stopped working after AVG found a virus in ZoneAlarm

    This morning, AVG discovered a virus of some sort in ZoneAlarm, and
    apparently did a bad job of disinfecting it. Mail and news work but the
    web doesn't -- I can't go to google, I can't go to either ZoneAlarm's or
    AVG's web sites, I can't do much of anything.

    I also can't repair ZoneAlarm. The installer hangs for several minutes
    and then reports that the "TrueVector" service has to be disabled first.
    I managed to find services under the control panel and found
    "TrueVector" and set it to disabled (it had been listed as stopped). The
    installer still won't work -- same exact message.

    Am I now stuck permanently with no world wide web? No web means no
    google, means no researching a fix online. No ability to reinstall
    ZoneAlarm means no apparent way to fix with the files and tools I have
    locally, and no web means no downloading new ones.

    I also can't fathom how a virus got in and infected ZoneAlarm in the
    first place, given the efforts taken to prevent such occurrences,
    including the use of ZoneAlarm itself AND AVG. I keep browsers, Windows,
    ZoneAlarm, and AVG up to date. I avoid using IE. I right click and "scan
    with AVG" every installer or other infectable file I download, even
    though the resident shield should catch anything coming in that way
    anyway. Yet something got by every one of these defenses and has
    apparently permanently crippled my system.

    I want three things:
    * Information on how to fix this, if it can be fixed. Nothing that
    requires wiping the system, though. I'd need to burn about 300 CD-Rs to
    preserve everything across a wipe.
    * Information on what precaution I should have taken that would have
    kept this thing out.
    * The virus-writer's head on a platter!

  2. Re: Web stopped working after AVG found a virus in ZoneAlarm

    Try to uninstall ZoneAlarm; then reinstall it.
    Right click on the ZoneAlarm icon and see if you can shut down ZoneAlarm and then go on the internet.
    If you are running WinXP go to a restore point before the problem started.

    --
    Mike Walsh

  3. Re: Web stopped working after AVG found a virus in ZoneAlarm

    On Oct 14, 8:58*am, Ben Phillips wrote:
    > This morning, AVG discovered a virus of some sort in ZoneAlarm, and
    > apparently did a bad job of disinfecting it. Mail and news work but the
    > web doesn't -- I can't go to google, I can't go to either ZoneAlarm's or
    > AVG's web sites, I can't do much of anything.
    >
    > I also can't repair ZoneAlarm. The installer hangs for several minutes
    > and then reports that the "TrueVector" service has to be disabled first.
    > I managed to find services under the control panel and found
    > "TrueVector" and set it to disabled (it had been listed as stopped). The
    > installer still won't work -- same exact message.
    >
    > Am I now stuck permanently with no world wide web? No web means no
    > google, means no researching a fix online. No ability to reinstall
    > ZoneAlarm means no apparent way to fix with the files and tools I have
    > locally, and no web means no downloading new ones.
    >
    > I also can't fathom how a virus got in and infected ZoneAlarm in the
    > first place, given the efforts taken to prevent such occurrences,
    > including the use of ZoneAlarm itself AND AVG. I keep browsers, Windows,
    > ZoneAlarm, and AVG up to date. I avoid using IE. I right click and "scan
    > with AVG" every installer or other infectable file I download, even
    > though the resident shield should catch anything coming in that way
    > anyway. Yet something got by every one of these defenses and has
    > apparently permanently crippled my system.
    >
    > I want three things:
    > * Information on how to fix this, if it can be fixed. Nothing that
    > requires wiping the system, though. I'd need to burn about 300 CD-Rs to
    > preserve everything across a wipe.
    > * Information on what precaution I should have taken that would have
    > kept this thing out.
    > * The virus-writer's head on a platter!

    I know of two other computers that are having the same problems, which
    is what brought me to this web sight. I haven't tried uninstalling
    Zonealarm yet, but if AVG took out the file once then I think it will
    just take it out again. I went to MSCONFIG and disabled the zonealarm
    startup to get on the internet for now but I'd like to get the
    firewall back up asap!

    Please post if someone finds a solution.

    thanks!

  4. Re: Web stopped working after AVG found a virus in ZoneAlarm

    On Oct 15, 8:52*pm, jame...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 14, 8:58*am, Ben Phillips wrote:
    >

    > > This morning, AVG discovered a virus of some sort in ZoneAlarm, and
    > > apparently did a bad job of disinfecting it. Mail and news work but the
    > > web doesn't -- I can't go to google, I can't go to either ZoneAlarm's or
    > > AVG's web sites, I can't do much of anything.

    > > I also can't repair ZoneAlarm. The installer hangs for several minutes
    > > and then reports that the "TrueVector" service has to be disabled first..
    > > I managed to find services under the control panel and found
    > > "TrueVector" and set it to disabled (it had been listed as stopped). The
    > > installer still won't work -- same exact message.

    > > Am I now stuck permanently with no world wide web? No web means no
    > > google, means no researching a fix online. No ability to reinstall
    > > ZoneAlarm means no apparent way to fix with the files and tools I have
    > > locally, and no web means no downloading new ones.

    > > I also can't fathom how a virus got in and infected ZoneAlarm in the
    > > first place, given the efforts taken to prevent such occurrences,
    > > including the use of ZoneAlarm itself AND AVG. I keep browsers, Windows,
    > > ZoneAlarm, and AVG up to date. I avoid using IE. I right click and "scan
    > > with AVG" every installer or other infectable file I download, even
    > > though the resident shield should catch anything coming in that way
    > > anyway. Yet something got by every one of these defenses and has
    > > apparently permanently crippled my system.

    > > I want three things:
    > > * Information on how to fix this, if it can be fixed. Nothing that
    > > requires wiping the system, though. I'd need to burn about 300 CD-Rs to
    > > preserve everything across a wipe.
    > > * Information on what precaution I should have taken that would have
    > > kept this thing out.
    > > * The virus-writer's head on a platter!

    > I know of two other computers that are having the same problems, which
    > is what brought me to this web sight. *I haven't tried uninstalling
    > Zonealarm yet, but if AVG took out the file once then I think it will
    > just take it out again. *I went to MSCONFIG and disabled the zonealarm
    > startup to get on the internet for now but I'd like to get the
    > firewall back up asap!
    >
    > Please post if someone finds a solution.
    >
    > thanks!- Hide quoted text -

    Well, I just tried the uninstall/reinstall of zonealarm and it seems
    to have worked for now at least.

  5. Re: Web stopped working after AVG found a virus in ZoneAlarm

    wrote in message
    On Oct 15, 8:52 pm, jame...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 14, 8:58 am, Ben Phillips wrote:
    >

    > > This morning, AVG discovered a virus of some sort in ZoneAlarm, and
    > > apparently did a bad job of disinfecting it. Mail and news work but the
    > > web doesn't -- I can't go to google, I can't go to either ZoneAlarm's or
    > > AVG's web sites, I can't do much of anything.

    > > I also can't repair ZoneAlarm. The installer hangs for several minutes
    > > and then reports that the "TrueVector" service has to be disabled first.
    > > I managed to find services under the control panel and found
    > > "TrueVector" and set it to disabled (it had been listed as stopped). The
    > > installer still won't work -- same exact message.

    > > Am I now stuck permanently with no world wide web? No web means no
    > > google, means no researching a fix online. No ability to reinstall
    > > ZoneAlarm means no apparent way to fix with the files and tools I have
    > > locally, and no web means no downloading new ones.

    > > I also can't fathom how a virus got in and infected ZoneAlarm in the
    > > first place, given the efforts taken to prevent such occurrences,
    > > including the use of ZoneAlarm itself AND AVG. I keep browsers, Windows,
    > > ZoneAlarm, and AVG up to date. I avoid using IE. I right click and "scan
    > > with AVG" every installer or other infectable file I download, even
    > > though the resident shield should catch anything coming in that way
    > > anyway. Yet something got by every one of these defenses and has
    > > apparently permanently crippled my system.

    > > I want three things:
    > > * Information on how to fix this, if it can be fixed. Nothing that
    > > requires wiping the system, though. I'd need to burn about 300 CD-Rs to
    > > preserve everything across a wipe.
    > > * Information on what precaution I should have taken that would have
    > > kept this thing out.
    > > * The virus-writer's head on a platter!

    > I know of two other computers that are having the same problems, which
    > is what brought me to this web sight. I haven't tried uninstalling
    > Zonealarm yet, but if AVG took out the file once then I think it will
    > just take it out again. I went to MSCONFIG and disabled the zonealarm
    > startup to get on the internet for now but I'd like to get the
    > firewall back up asap!
    >
    > Please post if someone finds a solution.
    >
    > thanks!- Hide quoted text -

    Well, I just tried the uninstall/reinstall of zonealarm and it seems
    to have worked for now at least.

    Comodo makes a good firewall ... and it's free!

  6. Re: Web stopped working after AVG found a virus in ZoneAlarm

    I've had 3 instances in the last week where AVG8 (no ZA involvement) has just decided that it isnt going to let web traffic through on port 80, https/ftp etc are all working fine.

    I've had to uninstall the whole package and reinstall to get it back.
    International Computer Connections
    Connection House
    Wetherby
    West Yorkshire
    LS23 7AU

    Web: www.icc4it.co.uk
    Email: paul@icc4it.co.uk

    DEC/COMPAQ/HP

  7. Re: Web stopped working after AVG found a virus in ZoneAlarm

    I've had to uninstall the whole package and reinstall to get it back.

+ Reply to Thread