Unable to install Windows XP Professional - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Unable to install Windows XP Professional - Microsoft Windows ; Hi, I am trying to install Windows XP Professional in an Intel Celeron 400, with 256 MB RAM, 28 GB HD. I suspect that the BIOS date (1999) is the problem, because the installation hangs after initial loading of drivers. ...

  1. Unable to install Windows XP Professional

    Hi,

    I am trying to install Windows XP Professional in an Intel Celeron
    400, with 256 MB RAM, 28 GB HD. I suspect that the BIOS date (1999) is
    the problem, because the installation hangs after initial loading of
    drivers. I am using an original disk.
    Any advice will be appreciated.

    Regards,

    Marco

    ----------------------
    Freedom is not a permission for chaos.

  2. Re: Unable to install Windows XP Professional

    Marco A. Cruz Quevedo wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to install Windows XP Professional in an Intel Celeron
    > 400, with 256 MB RAM, 28 GB HD. I suspect that the BIOS date (1999) is
    > the problem, because the installation hangs after initial loading of
    > drivers. I am using an original disk.
    > Any advice will be appreciated.

    I shouldn't think the Bios, or the small amount of memory make a
    difference. I've installed XP on old machines with similar setups. This
    being said, it might, nevertheless, be the Bios that is causing trouble.
    Perhaps try loading failsafe defaults, you can always tweak them
    afterwards

  3. Re: Unable to install Windows XP Professional

    On Sep 11, 1:04*pm, "Lou Ravi" wrote:
    > Marco A. Cruz Quevedo wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > I am trying to install Windows XP Professional in an Intel Celeron
    > > 400, with 256 MB RAM, 28 GB HD. I suspect that the BIOS date (1999) is
    > > the problem, because the installation hangs after initial loading of
    > > drivers. I am using an original disk.
    > > Any advice will be appreciated.

    > I shouldn't think the Bios, or the small amount of memory make a
    > difference. I've installed XP on old machines with similar setups. This
    > being said, it might, nevertheless, be the Bios that is causing trouble.
    > Perhaps try loading failsafe defaults, you can always tweak them
    > afterwards

    I agree with you. I have just googled the following:

    Win XP installation requirement BIOS

    and found:

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/clean_in...windows_xp.htm

    This is a quote from it:
    "...When XP is first installed it tries to determine what type of BIOS
    is available on the computer. Newer systems have what is known as
    Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) capability.
    Unfortunately, XP doesn't always recognize a computer BIOS is ACPI
    capable and doesn't install the support for ACPI. Even more
    unfortunate is the fact that if ACPI support isn't determined at the
    initial install it's virtually impossible to correct this at a later
    time short of reinstalling XP over the top of the previous XP
    installation. To do so requires changing the Hardware Abstraction
    Layer (HAL). The chances of successfully changing a HAL after XP has
    been installed is pretty close to zilch.

    Once you drop the CD in the tray and fire up the computer to install
    XP, the first thing you'll see at the bottom of the screen is the
    option to press F6 if you need to install a SCSI or RAID controller.
    Don't press F6. Press F5 instead. This will take you to a separate
    menu of Hardware Abstraction Layer's where you can choose an
    appropriate HAL that supports ACPI."

    I am going to give it a try the next weekend, hoping to install XP
    successfully.

    Regards,

    Marco

    ----------------------
    Freedom is not a permission for chaos.

  4. Re: Unable to install Windows XP Professional

    On Sep 11, 1:04*pm, "Lou Ravi" wrote:
    OK, I could install WinXP Pro:

    According to

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/clean_in...windows_xp.htm

    I tried F5 when installation program asks F6: I had to select the
    option "Standard PC" and I could start and complete installation fine.
    As expected, just after installation, WinXP could not turn off
    computer. But after installing SP1 and SP3, now computer is shut down
    properly.

    Regards,

    Marco

    ----------------------
    Freedom is not a permission for chaos.

    > Marco A. Cruz Quevedo wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > I am trying to install Windows XP Professional in an Intel Celeron
    > > 400, with 256 MB RAM, 28 GB HD. I suspect that the BIOS date (1999) is
    > > the problem, because the installation hangs after initial loading of
    > > drivers. I am using an original disk.
    > > Any advice will be appreciated.

    > I shouldn't think the Bios, or the small amount of memory make a
    > difference. I've installed XP on old machines with similar setups. This
    > being said, it might, nevertheless, be the Bios that is causing trouble.
    > Perhaps try loading failsafe defaults, you can always tweak them
    > afterwards

+ Reply to Thread