Keyboard is Disabled After Login Screen - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Keyboard is Disabled After Login Screen - Microsoft Windows ; I Have a Dell Dimension that suddenly kills the keyboard after I sign in on the login screen. I tried all kinds of working keyboards and none worked. Am thinking of doing a reformat. I even used the standard basic ...

  1. Keyboard is Disabled After Login Screen

    I Have a Dell Dimension that suddenly kills the keyboard after I sign
    in on the login screen. I tried all kinds of working keyboards and
    none worked. Am thinking of doing a reformat.
    I even used the standard basic dell keyboard. Nothing worked, PS2, USB
    or wireless. Integrated devices are all turned on in BIOS. Computer is
    riddled with Spyware and possibly viruses. HELP! I'd rather not
    reformat.

  2. Re: Keyboard is Disabled After Login Screen

    "onaridge" wrote in message news:13959b7b-0535-4c19-a18f-265a0a7ecb73@k30g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
    > I Have a Dell Dimension that suddenly kills the keyboard after I sign
    > in on the login screen. I tried all kinds of working keyboards and
    > none worked. Am thinking of doing a reformat.
    > I even used the standard basic dell keyboard. Nothing worked, PS2, USB
    > or wireless. Integrated devices are all turned on in BIOS. Computer is
    > riddled with Spyware and possibly viruses. HELP! I'd rather not
    > reformat.

    Try starting in Safe mode.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...microsoft..com

    Ben

  3. Re: Keyboard is Disabled After Login Screen

    On Aug 25, 2:27*pm, "Ben Myers" wrote:
    > "onaridge" wrote in messagenews:13959b7b-0535-4c19-a18f-265a0a7ecb73@k30g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
    > > I Have a Dell Dimension that suddenly kills the keyboard after I sign
    > > in on the login screen. I tried all kinds of working keyboards and
    > > none worked. Am thinking of doing a reformat.
    > > I even used the standard basic dell keyboard. Nothing worked, PS2, USB
    > > or wireless. Integrated devices are all turned on in BIOS. Computer is
    > > riddled with Spyware and possibly viruses. HELP! I'd rather not
    > > reformat.

    > Try starting in Safe mode.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...te%3Amicrosoft....
    >
    > Ben

    OOps I think I replied to sender instead of here. I don't use
    newsgroups much and it shows. What I said was I did try Safe Mode and
    the same thing happens. As soon as the desktop starts to write the
    keyboard stops functioning.

  4. Re: Keyboard is Disabled After Login Screen

    onaridge wrote:
    > On Aug 25, 2:27 pm, "Ben Myers" wrote:
    >> "onaridge" wrote in
    >> messagenews:13959b7b-0535-4c19-a18f-265a0a7ecb73@k30g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
    >>> I Have a Dell Dimension that suddenly kills the keyboard after I
    >>> sign in on the login screen. I tried all kinds of working keyboards
    >>> and none worked. Am thinking of doing a reformat.
    >>> I even used the standard basic dell keyboard. Nothing worked, PS2,
    >>> USB or wireless. Integrated devices are all turned on in BIOS.
    >>> Computer is riddled with Spyware and possibly viruses. HELP! I'd
    >>> rather not reformat.

    >> Try starting in Safe mode.
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...te%3Amicrosoft...
    >>
    >> Ben

    > OOps I think I replied to sender instead of here. I don't use
    > newsgroups much and it shows. What I said was I did try Safe Mode and
    > the same thing happens. As soon as the desktop starts to write the
    > keyboard stops functioning.

    Well maybe, if such a thing exists, you could try an anti-spyware in
    'DOS'. There are, or used to be, several AVs that wortk from the command
    line but I've never heard of an anti-spyware that can be run. But who
    knows? Google is your friend.

  5. Re: Keyboard is Disabled After Login Screen

    "onaridge" wrote in message news:d7e2c3f2-ed85-463e-a463-9af089458016@79g2000hsk.googlegroups.com...
    On Aug 25, 2:27 pm, "Ben Myers" wrote:
    > "onaridge" wrote in messagenews:13959b7b-0535-4c19-a18f-265a0a7ecb73@k30g2000hse.googlegroups..com...
    > > I Have a Dell Dimension that suddenly kills the keyboard after I sign
    > > in on the login screen. I tried all kinds of working keyboards and
    > > none worked. Am thinking of doing a reformat.
    > > I even used the standard basic dell keyboard. Nothing worked, PS2, USB
    > > or wireless. Integrated devices are all turned on in BIOS. Computer is
    > > riddled with Spyware and possibly viruses. HELP! I'd rather not
    > > reformat.

    > Try starting in Safe mode.
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...te%3Amicrosoft....

    >OOps I think I replied to sender instead of here. I don't use
    >newsgroups much and it shows. What I said was I did try Safe Mode and
    >the same thing happens. As soon as the desktop starts to write the
    >keyboard stops functioning.

    Try using Device Manager to troubleshoot the problem.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...Amicrosoft.com

    Also, it might be helpful to know the operating system in use on the
    computer with the problem.

    Ben

  6. Re: Keyboard is Disabled After Login Screen

    "Ben Myers" wrote:
    >Try using Device Manager to troubleshoot the problem.

    >http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...te%3Amicrosoft.

    com

    Uh. This is going to be a problem if he cannot login
    At least on my box, it would not be possible that way, since I have the
    ctrl-alt-del thing active on logon.

    What the OP *could* do, however, is to install a VIRTUAL KEYBOARD software
    where he can press keys with the mouse.
    This is cumbersome as heck I know, but he could at least eliminate some
    dubious startup programs that way (msconfig).

    >> Computer is
    >> riddled with Spyware and possibly viruses. HELP! I'd rather not
    >> reformat.

    Well well. If the computer is riddled with spyware or viruses, a fresh
    installation WOULD indeed be the best thing.
    This has one special reason: nifty malware is able to open security holes in
    your PC which will REMAIN even though the malware has long been deleted.
    This is why non-IT professionals would sometimes tap their forehead on
    advices given by system administrations and the like that they should
    reformat.
    But ... these people do know why they suggest that.

    -Andreas

+ Reply to Thread