Lost speaker icon in taskbar, but common solutions don't apply - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Lost speaker icon in taskbar, but common solutions don't apply - Microsoft Windows ; I've been using XP for quite a while, and it was convenient to have the speaker icon in the taskbar. Somehow, I lost this over the last few weeks, and I don't understand how to get it back. I've surveyed ...

  1. Lost speaker icon in taskbar, but common solutions don't apply

    I've been using XP for quite a while, and it was convenient to have
    the speaker icon in the taskbar. Somehow, I lost this over the last
    few weeks, and I don't understand how to get it back.

    I've surveyed the common solutions for this problem, which are:

    1. Check the "Place volume icon in the taskbar" option in the "Sounds
    and Audio Devices Properties". This is checked, and it has been for a
    long time.

    2. Install "sndvol32.exe" into "c:\WINDOWS\system32\". This is in
    place already.

    These are the only two solutions I've seen for this problem, and
    neither of them apply to my situation. What else could be wrong here?

  2. Re: Lost speaker icon in taskbar, but common solutions don't apply

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:14:47 -0700 (PDT), "david.karr"
    wrote:

    >I've been using XP for quite a while, and it was convenient to have
    >the speaker icon in the taskbar. Somehow, I lost this over the last
    >few weeks, and I don't understand how to get it back.
    >
    >I've surveyed the common solutions for this problem, which are:
    >
    >1. Check the "Place volume icon in the taskbar" option in the "Sounds
    >and Audio Devices Properties". This is checked, and it has been for a
    >long time.
    >
    >2. Install "sndvol32.exe" into "c:\WINDOWS\system32\". This is in
    >place already.
    >
    >These are the only two solutions I've seen for this problem, and
    >neither of them apply to my situation. What else could be wrong here?

    It's probably a silly question, but worth asking just to check it off
    the list:

    Are you sure windowsXP isn't just auto-hiding the tray icon?
    Right-click the task-bar, select properties, uncheck "hide inactive
    icons" and see if it reappears.

    I know, I know, first thing you probably checked...

  3. Re: Lost speaker icon in taskbar, but common solutions don't apply

    On Jul 31, 4:00*am, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
    > It's probably a silly question, but worth asking just to check it off
    > the list:
    >
    > Are you sure windowsXP isn't just auto-hiding the tray icon?
    > Right-click the task-bar, select properties, uncheck "hide inactive
    > icons" and see if it reappears.
    >
    > I know, I know, first thing you probably checked...

    It isn't the first thing I checked, because it's not really relevant
    to this. As far as I can tell, unchecking this only makes the status
    bar area static, instead of having a "<<" icon to see the "inactive"
    icons. In any case, when I unchecked this, the Volume icon didn't come
    back.

    However, this did lead me to an interesting clue. I noticed the
    "Customize" button (when the "Hide" box is checked). When I looked at
    the list that gave me, I found that "Volume" was in the "Past Items"
    list, but instead of having the usual speaker icon with it, it has a
    Folder icon. That seems very odd, and is probably an important clue.
    I see lots of items in the "Past Items" list, items that I don't see
    anymore (mostly with the same Folder icon). I even tried setting the
    "Volume" entry to "Always Show", but that had no effect.

  4. Re: Lost speaker icon in taskbar, but common solutions don't apply

    On Jul 30, 11:14*am, "david.karr" wrote:
    > I've been using XP for quite a while, and it was convenient to have
    > the speaker icon in the taskbar. *Somehow, I lost this over the last
    > few weeks, and I don't understand how to get it back.
    >
    > I've surveyed the common solutions for this problem, which are:
    >
    > 1. Check the "Place volume icon in the taskbar" option in the "Sounds
    > and Audio Devices Properties". This is checked, and it has been for a
    > long time.
    >
    > 2. Install "sndvol32.exe" into "c:\WINDOWS\system32\". *This is in
    > place already.
    >
    > These are the only two solutions I've seen for this problem, and
    > neither of them apply to my situation. *What else could be wrong here?

    Well, I don't know what happened, but I just thought to try rebooting
    my box, and after it came back up, the speaker icon was back.

+ Reply to Thread