How locate a Nero backup dump? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on How locate a Nero backup dump? - Microsoft Windows ; Can anyone help me with this one? I use Nero to backup. I set it off as normal the other day and went off to do other things because I know it takes about an hour for Nero to backup ...

  1. How locate a Nero backup dump?

    Can anyone help me with this one?

    I use Nero to backup. I set it off as normal the other day and went off
    to do other things because I know it takes about an hour for Nero to
    backup my entire C drive onto a DVD R/W.

    Anyway, I came back after an hour or so and found that there was no sign
    of Nero on my desktop - no dialogue box announcing that the backup had
    been completed and what did I want to do next.

    I checked the DVD R/W and no backup had been done.

    What has been done, somehow, is that about 4GB of stuff have been added
    somewhere to my C drive! I think Nero encountered some problem and
    dumped stuff onto the drive.

    So the question is, has anyone else experienced this and do you know
    where the stuff might be located so that I can delete it. (I have since
    done a complete backup successfully, but of course it includes that 4GB
    of extra stuff!)

    Thanks.

    Eddy.

  2. Re: How locate a Nero backup dump?

    To answer my own question: use Windows' search facility to find all
    files dated at the time of the backup. I found 4GB of NeroBackItUp
    files on my hard disc! I also saw that these were dumped there and the
    backup aborted because of an automatic Windows update that occurred
    during the backup! So my advice is: go to your Security Centre and do
    not allow your computer to automatically download anything at any time!
    Your computer will fill up with stuff you don't need and other processes
    will be aborted!

    Eddy.

  3. Re: How locate a Nero backup dump?

    Eddy wrote in

    > To answer my own question: use Windows' search facility to
    > find all files dated at the time of the backup. I found
    > 4GB of NeroBackItUp files on my hard disc! I also saw
    > that these were dumped there and the backup aborted because
    > of an automatic Windows update that occurred during the
    > backup! So my advice is: go to your Security Centre and
    > do not allow your computer to automatically download
    > anything at any time! Your computer will fill up with stuff
    > you don't need and other processes will be aborted!
    >
    > Eddy.

    Are you saying you are crazy enough to stay on-line AND have
    auto update turned on /to begin with/, let alone while trying to
    backup?

    My sincere sympathies.

    Ever run a spybot scan? Might be interesting.

    You might also consider using something else than THE worst (in
    fairness, of the ones that actually work) burning program
    available.

    --
    There is nothing bad which could not turn into something worse.
    - S. I. Witkiewicz

+ Reply to Thread