Free Hard Drive Imaging Software that only copies used data and doescompression? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Free Hard Drive Imaging Software that only copies used data and doescompression? - Microsoft Windows ; Is there any free software that can basically do what my school used to do? They basically booted up a CD, ran a few commands or did a few things, then had an image or they restored a previously made ...

  1. Free Hard Drive Imaging Software that only copies used data and doescompression?

    Is there any free software that can basically do what my school used
    to do? They basically booted up a CD, ran a few commands or did a few
    things, then had an image or they restored a previously made image.

    All they had to use was a CD, never install anything on the machines
    themselves.

    I tried partimage and it worked somewhat, but I assume since the NTFS
    is experimental, that's why I had a nightmare trying to restore my XP,
    while it restored 2k and Vista with no problem.

    I also do support for others and making a nice image, either that they
    can restore themselves or I can do it, will work nicely.

  2. Re: Free Hard Drive Imaging Software that only copies used data anddoes compression?

    On Jun 26, 7:47 am, RedPenguin wrote:
    > Is there any free software that can basically do what my school used
    > to do? They basically booted up a CD, ran a few commands or did a few
    > things, then had an image or they restored a previously made image.
    >
    > All they had to use was a CD, never install anything on the machines
    > themselves.
    >
    > I tried partimage and it worked somewhat, but I assume since the NTFS
    > is experimental, that's why I had a nightmare trying to restore my XP,
    > while it restored 2k and Vista with no problem.
    >
    > I also do support for others and making a nice image, either that they
    > can restore themselves or I can do it, will work nicely.

    Also something that can send the images over a network would be
    awesome, but if I have to send it to a USB external drive or
    something, ok.

  3. Re: Free Hard Drive Imaging Software that only copies used data anddoes compression?

    On Jun 26, 7:47 am, RedPenguin wrote:
    > Is there any free software that can basically do what my school used
    > to do? They basically booted up a CD, ran a few commands or did a few
    > things, then had an image or they restored a previously made image.
    >
    > All they had to use was a CD, never install anything on the machines
    > themselves.
    >
    > I tried partimage and it worked somewhat, but I assume since the NTFS
    > is experimental, that's why I had a nightmare trying to restore my XP,
    > while it restored 2k and Vista with no problem.
    >
    > I also do support for others and making a nice image, either that they
    > can restore themselves or I can do it, will work nicely.

    Also if there is no free, are there any nice/really nice paid ones?

    Also, I don't care if they run in Linux (I like Linux) but I need
    fully working NTFS and known to completely work. dd is nice but it
    would make huge copies.

  4. Re: Free Hard Drive Imaging Software that only copies used data and does compression?

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 05:00:36 -0700 (PDT), RedPenguin wrote:

    -|On Jun 26, 7:47 am, RedPenguin wrote:
    -|> Is there any free software that can basically do what my school used
    -|> to do? They basically booted up a CD, ran a few commands or did a few
    -|> things, then had an image or they restored a previously made image.
    -|>
    -|> All they had to use was a CD, never install anything on the machines
    -|> themselves.
    -|>
    -|> I tried partimage and it worked somewhat, but I assume since the NTFS
    -|> is experimental, that's why I had a nightmare trying to restore my XP,
    -|> while it restored 2k and Vista with no problem.
    -|>
    -|> I also do support for others and making a nice image, either that they
    -|> can restore themselves or I can do it, will work nicely.
    -|
    -|Also if there is no free, are there any nice/really nice paid ones?

    True Image from Acronis.com is easy to use to use. It's also easy
    to extract specific file/folders from a True Image binary disk image.

    Skip

    -|
    -|Also, I don't care if they run in Linux (I like Linux) but I need
    -|fully working NTFS and known to completely work. dd is nice but it
    -|would make huge copies.

+ Reply to Thread