Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates - Microsoft Windows ; Mac Advocates will tell you that Mac market share has increased by 33% or more. Yet their worldwide figure is always at around 3%. Here's how they do it: Take Apple's Q1'07 sales of 1,517,000 Macs and compare them to ...

  1. Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates

    Mac Advocates will tell you that Mac market share has increased by 33%
    or more. Yet their worldwide figure is always at around 3%.

    Here's how they do it:

    Take Apple's Q1'07 sales of 1,517,000 Macs and compare them to Q1'08
    sales of 2,289,000 Macs.

    Wow, a 33% increase, right?

    Until you stop to consider that increase was a small part of the
    expansion of the entire market:

    Worldwide PC shipments totaled 62.7
    million units in the first quarter of 2007

    Worldwide PC shipments totaled 71.1
    million units in the first quarter of 2008

    IOW, the market expanded by 8.4 million units, while the number of
    Macs went up by 772,000.

    Apple's share of the market increase = 9.19%

    Mac worldwide market share 1999 = 3.4%

    Mac worldwide market share Q1'08 = 3.2%

    This chart says it all:

    http://www.systemshootouts.org/?q=3Dnode/198

  2. Re: Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates

    In article
    <959319c8-ab6e-4a95-8a76-6388674fec27@27g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
    Edwin wrote:

    > Mac Advocates will tell you that Mac market share has increased by 33%
    > or more. Yet their worldwide figure is always at around 3%.

    Is it 3% or is it "around 3%"?

    > Here's how they do it:
    >
    > Take Apple's Q1'07 sales of 1,517,000 Macs and compare them to Q1'08
    > sales of 2,289,000 Macs.
    >
    > Wow, a 33% increase, right?

    How's you math, Edwin? The difference is 772,000 units, which is 51%
    of 1,517,000, which makes it a 51% increase in number of units sold.

    > Until you stop to consider that increase was a small part of the
    > expansion of the entire market:
    >
    > Worldwide PC shipments totaled 62.7
    > million units in the first quarter of 2007
    >
    > Worldwide PC shipments totaled 71.1
    > million units in the first quarter of 2008
    >
    > IOW, the market expanded by 8.4 million units, while the number of
    > Macs went up by 772,000.
    >
    > Apple's share of the market increase = 9.19%

    Exactly, in the units sold (i.e. new units) from q1 2007 to q1 2008,
    apples market share is 9%, not 3%. That's pretty good news, Edwin!
    Thanks for sharing! That's probably why Apples market share of the
    installed base went up by 33% in the same time period.

    9% of worldwide sales, impressive! Soon to be double digit mayhaps?

    --
    Sandman[.net]

  3. Re: Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates

    * Edwin peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > This chart says it all:
    >
    > http://www.systemshootouts.org/?q=3Dnode/198

    "Page not found"

    --
    It's fine to celebrate success but it is more important to heed the lessons
    of failure.

  4. Re: Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates

    On Sun, 18 May 2008 04:49:08 -0700 (PDT), Edwin wrote:

    > Mac Advocates will tell you that Mac market share has increased by 33%
    > or more. Yet their worldwide figure is always at around 3%.

    Linux users will tell you that Linux is being installed on millions of
    desktops each week.

    Yet Linux still hovers at 0.6 percent of the desktop market.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates

    On May 18, 9:07*am, Linonut wrote:
    > * Edwin peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    > > This chart says it all:

    > >http://www.systemshootouts.org/?q=3Dnode/198

    > * *"Page not found"

    http://www.systemshootouts.org/image...t_share_lg.gif

  6. Re: Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates

    On May 18, 6:49*am, Edwin wrote:
    > Mac Advocates will tell you that Mac market share has increased by 33%
    > or more. * Yet their worldwide figure is always at around 3%.
    >
    > Here's how they do it:
    >
    > Take Apple's Q1'07 sales of 1,517,000 Macs and compare them to Q1'08
    > sales of 2,289,000 Macs.
    >
    > Wow, a 33% increase, right?
    >
    > Until you stop to consider that increase was a small part of the
    > expansion of the entire market:
    >
    > Worldwide PC shipments totaled 62.7
    > million units in the first quarter of 2007
    >
    > Worldwide PC shipments totaled 71.1
    > million units in the first quarter of 2008
    >
    > IOW, the market expanded by 8.4 million units, while the number of
    > Macs went up by 772,000.
    >
    > Apple's share of the market increase = *9.19%
    >
    > Mac worldwide market share 1999 = 3.4%
    >
    > Mac worldwide market share Q1'08 = 3.2%
    >
    > This chart says it all:
    >
    > http://www.systemshootouts.org/?q=3Dnode/198

    http://www.systemshootouts.org/image...t_share_lg.gif

    Here's the correct link.

  7. Re: Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates

    On May 18, 9:56*am, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 May 2008 04:49:08 -0700 (PDT), Edwin wrote:
    > > Mac Advocates will tell you that Mac market share has increased by 33%
    > > or more. * Yet their worldwide figure is always at around 3%.

    > Linux users will tell you that Linux is being installed on millions of
    > desktops each week.

    I believe them.

    > Yet Linux still hovers at 0.6 percent of the desktop market.

    The market only tracks sales.

  8. Re: Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates

    On May 18, 7:40*am, Sandman wrote:
    > In article
    > <959319c8-ab6e-4a95-8a76-6388674fe...@27g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
    >
    > *Edwin wrote:
    > > Mac Advocates will tell you that Mac market share has increased by 33%
    > > or more. * Yet their worldwide figure is always at around 3%.

    > Is it 3% or is it "around 3%"?

    It hovers above and below 3.0%

    > > Here's how they do it:

    > > Take Apple's Q1'07 sales of 1,517,000 Macs and compare them to Q1'08
    > > sales of 2,289,000 Macs.

    > > Wow, a 33% increase, right?

    > How's you math, Edwin? The difference is 772,000 units, which is 51%
    > of 1,517,000, which makes it a 51% increase in number of units sold.

    I took someone else's word, but you're just making it worse for Mac
    Advocates. Thanks.

    > > Until you stop to consider that increase was a small part of the
    > > expansion of the entire market:

    > > Worldwide PC shipments totaled 62.7
    > > million units in the first quarter of 2007

    > > Worldwide PC shipments totaled 71.1
    > > million units in the first quarter of 2008

    > > IOW, the market expanded by 8.4 million units, while the number of
    > > Macs went up by 772,000.

    > > Apple's share of the market increase = *9.19%

    > Exactly, in the units sold (i.e. new units) from q1 2007 to q1 2008,
    > apples market share is 9%, not 3%.

    Apple got 9% of the increase, they only have 3.2% of the total.

    > That's pretty good news, Edwin!

    If you're stupid enough to believe that.

    > Thanks for sharing! That's probably why Apples market share of the
    > installed base went up by 33% in the same time period.

    Your ass must really hurt after you pulled that out of it.

    > 9% of worldwide sales, impressive! Soon to be double digit mayhaps?

    Your unflinching stupidity is indeed impressive, but not in a good
    way.

    http://www.systemshootouts.org/image...t_share_lg.gif

  9. Re: Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates

    In article
    <4c4a7b45-fa96-4a81-86d3-c12f4f15089b@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
    Edwin wrote:

    > > > Mac Advocates will tell you that Mac market share has increased by 33%
    > > > or more. * Yet their worldwide figure is always at around 3%.

    > > Is it 3% or is it "around 3%"?

    > It hovers above and below 3.0%

    Ah, so it's not 3%, it's "around 3%", which could be a span of, say,
    2.41% and 3.21%? Which, of course, is a difference of 33%! Impressive.

    > > > Here's how they do it:

    > > > Take Apple's Q1'07 sales of 1,517,000 Macs and compare them to Q1'08
    > > > sales of 2,289,000 Macs.

    > > > Wow, a 33% increase, right?

    > > How's you math, Edwin? The difference is 772,000 units, which is 51%
    > > of 1,517,000, which makes it a 51% increase in number of units sold.

    > I took someone else's word, but you're just making it worse for Mac
    > Advocates. Thanks.

    So, going from a 33% increase to a 51% increase makes it *worse*? How?
    Or are you in reference to the 33% difference between the market share
    numbers above and just used the same number for any difference in Mac
    numbers?

    > > Exactly, in the units sold (i.e. new units) from q1 2007 to q1 2008,
    > > apples market share is 9%, not 3%.

    > Apple got 9% of the increase

    Exactly, pretty impressive

    > > Thanks for sharing! That's probably why Apples market share of the
    > > installed base went up by 33% in the same time period.

    > Your ass must really hurt after you pulled that out of it.

    Did it when you posted the numbers?

    --
    Sandman[.net]

  10. Re: Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates

    "Edwin" stated in post
    64349aa4-cea0-40ec-a952-8a2098f93706...oglegroups.com on 5/18/08
    9:03 AM:

    > On May 18, 9:56*am, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Sun, 18 May 2008 04:49:08 -0700 (PDT), Edwin wrote:
    >>> Mac Advocates will tell you that Mac market share has increased by 33%
    >>> or more. * Yet their worldwide figure is always at around 3%.

    >> Linux users will tell you that Linux is being installed on millions of
    >> desktops each week.

    > I believe them.
    >
    >> Yet Linux still hovers at 0.6 percent of the desktop market.

    > The market only tracks sales.

    The 0.6% figure is actually from user base approximations. I have seen
    others put Linux as high as 0.8%, I think one even had it at about 0.85%.

    --
    Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.
    --Albert Einstein

  11. Re: Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates

    "Edwin" stated in post
    959319c8-ab6e-4a95-8a76-6388674fec27...oglegroups.com on 5/18/08
    4:49 AM:

    > Mac Advocates will tell you that Mac market share has increased by 33%
    > or more. Yet their worldwide figure is always at around 3%.
    >
    > Here's how they do it:
    >
    > Take Apple's Q1'07 sales of 1,517,000 Macs and compare them to Q1'08
    > sales of 2,289,000 Macs.
    >
    > Wow, a 33% increase, right?
    >
    > Until you stop to consider that increase was a small part of the
    > expansion of the entire market:
    >
    > Worldwide PC shipments totaled 62.7
    > million units in the first quarter of 2007
    >
    > Worldwide PC shipments totaled 71.1
    > million units in the first quarter of 2008
    >
    > IOW, the market expanded by 8.4 million units, while the number of
    > Macs went up by 772,000.
    >
    > Apple's share of the market increase = 9.19%
    >
    > Mac worldwide market share 1999 = 3.4%
    >
    > Mac worldwide market share Q1'08 = 3.2%
    >
    > This chart says it all:
    >
    > http://www.systemshootouts.org/?q=3Dnode/198

    The other page you showed made it clear they went from under 2% to over 3%:

    --
    "Innovation is not about saying yes to everything. It's about saying NO to
    all but the most crucial features." -- Steve Jobs

  12. Re: Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

    ! Don Zeigler

  13. Re: Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates

    On May 18, 12:13*pm, Sandman wrote:
    > In article
    > <4c4a7b45-fa96-4a81-86d3-c12f4f150...@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,

    > > > Is it 3% or is it "around 3%"?

    > > It hovers above and below 3.0%

    > Ah, so it's not 3%, it's "around 3%", which could be a span of, say,
    > 2.41% and 3.21%? Which, of course, is a difference of 33%! Impressive.

    > > > How's you math, Edwin? The difference is 772,000 units, which is 51%
    > > > of 1,517,000, which makes it a 51% increase in number of units sold.

    > > I took someone else's word, but you're just making it worse for Mac
    > > Advocates. * Thanks.

    > So, going from a 33% increase to a 51% increase makes it *worse*? How?

    Now you've got to explain how a 51% increase left you with only 3.2%
    of the market instead of explaining the same for a 33% increase.

    > Or are you in reference to the 33% difference between the market share
    > numbers above and just used the same number for any difference in Mac
    > numbers?

    How is it answering you just leaves you with more stupid questions to
    ask?

    > > > Exactly, in the units sold (i.e. new units) from q1 2007 to q1 2008,
    > > > apples market share is 9%, not 3%.

    > > Apple got 9% of the increase

    > Exactly, pretty impressive

    An impressive pimple on the ass of the market.

    > > > Thanks for sharing! That's probably why Apples market share of the
    > > > installed base went up by 33% in the same time period.

    > > Your ass must really hurt after you pulled that out of it.

    > Did it when you posted the numbers?

    Yes, the numbers hurt your ass so bad I could hear you screaming all
    the way from Sweden. My numbers really reamed you out.

    http://www.systemshootouts.org/image...t_share_lg.gif

    More pain for you.

  14. Re: Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates

    In article
    <7422ae0e-17b2-4287-90da-5b5f3dad2fcd@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
    Edwin wrote:

    > An impressive pimple on the ass of the market.

    That is no way to talk about Microskank, Eddie.
    Or are you finally speaking the truth?

  15. Re: Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates

    Edwin wrote:

    > > > It hovers above and below 3.0%

    > > Ah, so it's not 3%, it's "around 3%", which could be a span of, say,
    > > 2.41% and 3.21%? Which, of course, is a difference of 33%! Impressive.

    > > > I took someone else's word, but you're just making it worse for Mac
    > > > Advocates. * Thanks.

    > > So, going from a 33% increase to a 51% increase makes it *worse*? How?

    > Now you've got to explain how a 51% increase left you with only 3.2%
    > of the market instead of explaining the same for a 33% increase.

    Uh? You're not following along, Edwin.

    Macs sold goes from 1,517,000 to 2,289,000 which is a 51% increase.
    Apples market share goes from 2.41% to 3.21% which is a 33% increase.

    I.e. a 51% increase in units sold yielded a 33% growth in a growing
    market.

    > > Or are you in reference to the 33% difference between the market share
    > > numbers above and just used the same number for any difference in Mac
    > > numbers?

    > How is it answering you just leaves you with more stupid questions to
    > ask?

    How is it questioning you just leaves you with nothing but answers?

    > > > Apple got 9% of the increase

    > > Exactly, pretty impressive

    > An impressive pimple on the ass of the market.

    Nevertheless, 9% is impressive. Whether you agree isn't important. I
    think its impressive.

    > > > Your ass must really hurt after you pulled that out of it.

    > > Did it when you posted the numbers?

    > Yes, the numbers hurt your ass so bad I could hear you screaming all
    > the way from Sweden. My numbers really reamed you out.
    >
    > http://www.systemshootouts.org/image...t_share_lg.gif
    >
    > More pain for you.

    Exactly, Apples market share of the installed base went up 33%, did it
    hurt you?

    --
    Sandman[.net]

  16. Re: Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates

    "Chance Furlong" wrote in message
    > In article
    > <7422ae0e-17b2-4287-90da-5b5f3dad2fcd@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
    > Edwin wrote:
    >
    >> An impressive pimple on the ass of the market.

    > That is no way to talk about Microskank, Eddie.
    > Or are you finally speaking the truth?

    How are the Gerbils doing, Hamster Boy?

  17. Re: Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates

    In article , Sandman
    wrote:

    > > Now you've got to explain how a 51% increase left you with only 3.2%
    > > of the market instead of explaining the same for a 33% increase.

    > Uh? You're not following along, Edwin.
    >
    > Macs sold goes from 1,517,000 to 2,289,000 which is a 51% increase.
    > Apples market share goes from 2.41% to 3.21% which is a 33% increase.
    >
    > I.e. a 51% increase in units sold yielded a 33% growth in a growing
    > market.

    No, he's not going to get that.
    he's having trouble with his own math, like the 'around 3 %' part that
    you just explained still supported what everybody has been saying.

    He can't figure how 'growth' isn't determined only by market share.

    I wonder -- maybe if we talk only in UNITS, he'll start finding the
    math easier. Ahg, but he'll lose the option to keep poking market share
    numbers, which seems to be his only purpose.

  18. Re: Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates

    Edwin wrote:

    > Mac Advocates will tell you that Mac market share has increased by 33%
    > or more. Yet their worldwide figure is always at around 3%.
    >
    > Here's how they do it:
    >
    > Take Apple's Q1'07 sales of 1,517,000 Macs and compare them to Q1'08
    > sales of 2,289,000 Macs.
    >
    > Wow, a 33% increase, right?

    No, actually. You're also apparently innumerate.

    From 1,517,000 to 2,289,000 is a 51% increase.

    > Until you stop to consider that increase was a small part of the
    > expansion of the entire market:
    >
    > Worldwide PC shipments totaled 62.7
    > million units in the first quarter of 2007
    >
    > Worldwide PC shipments totaled 71.1
    > million units in the first quarter of 2008

    An increase of 13%.

    > IOW, the market expanded by 8.4 million units, while the number of
    > Macs went up by 772,000.

    IOW, the Mac outgrew the overall market by nearly four to one.

    > Apple's share of the market increase = 9.19%

    Which reflects that.

    Take Apple's sales out of the overall figures.

    Worldwide PC shipments less Macs Q1'07: 61.2 million

    Worldwide PC shipments less Macs Q1'8: 68.8 million

    So worldwide shipments of personal computers *other* than Macs grew by
    only 12% and the Mac outgrew that by *more* than four to one.

    > Mac worldwide market share 1999 = 3.4%

    And it dropped even lower.

    > Mac worldwide market share Q1'08 = 3.2%

    And now it's been grow

    > This chart says it all:
    >
    > http://www.systemshootouts.org/?q=3Dnode/198

    "Page not found"

    But the chart you mean to include shows the Macs share has been growing
    steadily for four years now.

    --
    "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
    "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone

  19. Re: Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates

    In article
    <64349aa4-cea0-40ec-a952-8a2098f93706@25g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>,
    "Mr. X" wrote:

    > On May 18, 9:56*am, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > > On Sun, 18 May 2008 04:49:08 -0700 (PDT), Edwin wrote:
    > > > Mac Advocates will tell you that Mac market share has increased by 33%
    > > > or more. * Yet their worldwide figure is always at around 3%.

    > > Linux users will tell you that Linux is being installed on millions of
    > > desktops each week.

    > I believe them.
    >
    > > Yet Linux still hovers at 0.6 percent of the desktop market.

    > The market only tracks sales.

    This tracks usage:

    --
    "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
    "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
    "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
    '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
    'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
    IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
    'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
    on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)

  20. Re: Liars, Damn Liars, and Mac Advocates

    "Alan Baker" wrote in message
    > In article
    > <959319c8-ab6e-4a95-8a76-6388674fec27@27g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
    > Edwin wrote:
    >
    >> Mac Advocates will tell you that Mac market share has increased by 33%
    >> or more. Yet their worldwide figure is always at around 3%.
    >>
    >> Here's how they do it:
    >>
    >> Take Apple's Q1'07 sales of 1,517,000 Macs and compare them to Q1'08
    >> sales of 2,289,000 Macs.
    >>
    >> Wow, a 33% increase, right?

    > No, actually. You're also apparently innumerate.
    >
    > From 1,517,000 to 2,289,000 is a 51% increase.
    >

    >> Until you stop to consider that increase was a small part of the
    >> expansion of the entire market:
    >>
    >> Worldwide PC shipments totaled 62.7
    >> million units in the first quarter of 2007
    >>
    >> Worldwide PC shipments totaled 71.1
    >> million units in the first quarter of 2008

    > An increase of 13%.
    >

    >> IOW, the market expanded by 8.4 million units, while the number of
    >> Macs went up by 772,000.

    > IOW, the Mac outgrew the overall market by nearly four to one.
    >

    >> Apple's share of the market increase = 9.19%

    > Which reflects that.
    >
    > Take Apple's sales out of the overall figures.
    >
    > Worldwide PC shipments less Macs Q1'07: 61.2 million
    >
    > Worldwide PC shipments less Macs Q1'8: 68.8 million
    >
    > So worldwide shipments of personal computers *other* than Macs grew by
    > only 12% and the Mac outgrew that by *more* than four to one.
    >

    >> Mac worldwide market share 1999 = 3.4%

    > And it dropped even lower.
    >
    >> Mac worldwide market share Q1'08 = 3.2%

    > And now it's been grow

    The old trick that only weasels use, Apple sales are second, MS sales are
    next to the last.

+ Reply to Thread