Printing a Directory undar Win 2K Pro. - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Printing a Directory undar Win 2K Pro. - Microsoft Windows ; I'd like to print out directories. I'm using Win 2k Pro. I did a "Google" and came up with Article Q272623. this however does not apply to Win 2K Pro. I then found: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2363421.php and tried the variation suggested: @echo ...

  1. Printing a Directory undar Win 2K Pro.

    I'd like to print out directories. I'm using Win 2k Pro.

    I did a "Google" and came up with Article Q272623. this however does
    not apply to Win 2K Pro. I then found:
    http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2363421.php
    and tried the variation suggested:

    @echo off
    tree %1 /a > "%temp%\TreeList"
    start /w notepad /p "%temp%\TreeList"
    del "%temp%\TreeList"
    exit

    This did not work either.

    I presume that one or more of you "whizz kids"might have the answer I
    am seeking.

    Living in hope

    Stu

  2. Re: Printing a Directory undar Win 2K Pro.

    penult@ntlworld.com writes:

    > I'd like to print out directories. I'm using Win 2k Pro.
    >
    > I did a "Google" and came up with Article Q272623. this however does
    > not apply to Win 2K Pro. I then found:
    > http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2363421.php
    > and tried the variation suggested:
    >
    > @echo off
    > tree %1 /a > "%temp%\TreeList"
    > start /w notepad /p "%temp%\TreeList"
    > del "%temp%\TreeList"
    > exit
    >
    > This did not work either.
    >
    > I presume that one or more of you "whizz kids"might have the answer I
    > am seeking.
    >
    > Living in hope

    Tree is one seriously goofy program, and an ascii art "tree" list of
    directories is with decent certainty NOT what you want.

    Does the command prompt command

    dir /s /ad /b c:\

    /s descends subdirectories
    /ad says just list directories
    /b gets rid of heading info.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Printing a Directory undar Win 2K Pro.

    On Tue, 13 May 2008 12:17:46 -0500, comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.)
    wrote:

    >penult@ntlworld.com writes:
    >
    >> I'd like to print out directories. I'm using Win 2k Pro.
    >>
    >> I did a "Google" and came up with Article Q272623. this however does
    >> not apply to Win 2K Pro. I then found:
    >> http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2363421.php
    >> and tried the variation suggested:
    >>
    >> @echo off
    >> tree %1 /a > "%temp%\TreeList"
    >> start /w notepad /p "%temp%\TreeList"
    >> del "%temp%\TreeList"
    >> exit
    >>
    >> This did not work either.
    >>
    >> I presume that one or more of you "whizz kids"might have the answer I
    >> am seeking.
    >>
    >> Living in hope

    >Tree is one seriously goofy program, and an ascii art "tree" list of
    >directories is with decent certainty NOT what you want.
    >
    >Does the command prompt command
    >
    >dir /s /ad /b c:\
    >
    >/s descends subdirectories
    >/ad says just list directories
    >/b gets rid of heading info.
    >
    >Best Regards,

    Dir does not work on this computer!!!!
    Should it work under Win 2K Pro?

    Stu

  4. Re: Printing a Directory undar Win 2K Pro.

    penult@ntlworld.com writes:

    > On Tue, 13 May 2008 12:17:46 -0500, comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>penult@ntlworld.com writes:
    >>
    >>> I'd like to print out directories. I'm using Win 2k Pro.
    >>>
    >>> I did a "Google" and came up with Article Q272623. this however does
    >>> not apply to Win 2K Pro. I then found:
    >>> http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2363421.php
    >>> and tried the variation suggested:
    >>>
    >>> @echo off
    >>> tree %1 /a > "%temp%\TreeList"
    >>> start /w notepad /p "%temp%\TreeList"
    >>> del "%temp%\TreeList"
    >>> exit
    >>>
    >>> This did not work either.
    >>>
    >>> I presume that one or more of you "whizz kids"might have the answer I
    >>> am seeking.
    >>>
    >>> Living in hope

    >>Tree is one seriously goofy program, and an ascii art "tree" list of
    >>directories is with decent certainty NOT what you want.
    >>
    >>Does the command prompt command
    >>
    >>dir /s /ad /b c:\
    >>
    >>/s descends subdirectories
    >>/ad says just list directories
    >>/b gets rid of heading info.
    >>
    >>Best Regards,

    > Dir does not work on this computer!!!!
    > Should it work under Win 2K Pro?

    Actually, I tested the above on my standalone win2k pro box.

    Yes, dir should very much work in a win2k pro command prompt.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: Printing a Directory undar Win 2K Pro.

    >>>Tree is one seriously goofy program, and an ascii art "tree" list of
    >>>directories is with decent certainty NOT what you want.
    >>>
    >>>Does the command prompt command
    >>>
    >>>dir /s /ad /b c:\
    >>>
    >>>/s descends subdirectories
    >>>/ad says just list directories
    >>>/b gets rid of heading info.
    >>>
    >>>Best Regards,

    >> Dir does not work on this computer!!!!
    >> Should it work under Win 2K Pro?

    >Actually, I tested the above on my standalone win2k pro box.
    >
    >Yes, dir should very much work in a win2k pro command prompt.

    It works in a MSDOS window but from Run in the start menu. However I
    can't print out the directory listing which is what I want to do. I'd
    like the printout to show exactly the same columns as Windows
    Explorer. Any ideas on how to do that?

    Stu

  6. Re: Printing a Directory undar Win 2K Pro.

    penult@ntlworld.com writes:

    >>> Dir does not work on this computer!!!!
    >>> Should it work under Win 2K Pro?

    >>Actually, I tested the above on my standalone win2k pro box.
    >>
    >>Yes, dir should very much work in a win2k pro command prompt.

    > It works in a MSDOS window but from Run in the start menu.

    Don't be afraid of the DOS command prompt. It's how this OS started
    after all.

    > However I can't print out the directory listing which is what I want
    > to do.

    Just redirect the command line output to a file. In the command
    prompt do

    dir /s /ad /b c:\ > c:\mydirs.txt

    Well actually that'll probably work at the run prompt.

    > I'd like the printout to show exactly the same columns as
    > Windows Explorer.

    Will this question be adding specifics on to it one at a time until
    the end of time?

    > Any ideas on how to do that?

    If you want it to look exactly like it would in explorer, you're gonna
    have to indicate which of explorers several views you're using. And
    then, you'd use the c:\mydirs.txt fiel above and import it into a page
    layout program or a bitmap graphics program somehow, and put little
    folder icons in then the directory names, and then probably have to
    run a batch file to get folder modification times if you're talking
    about explorer's detail view...

    Or maybe start from dir /s /ad /tw /n and massage from there.

    So, I've got ideas, but I have to be honest, I'm getting a little
    irritated getting bits and pieces of your requirements one bit at a
    time and you replying why the prior solution wasn't acceptable to you.

    It'd also have been helpful to understand why you have a requirement
    for things to be output in just this way, but I've kinda lost
    interest.

    Sorry.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  7. Re: Printing a Directory undar Win 2K Pro. (Thanks)

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 19:57:48 -0500, comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.)
    wrote:

    >>>Actually, I tested the above on my standalone win2k pro box.
    >>>
    >>>Yes, dir should very much work in a win2k pro command prompt.

    >> It works in a MSDOS window but from Run in the start menu.

    >Don't be afraid of the DOS command prompt. It's how this OS started
    >after all.
    >
    >> However I can't print out the directory listing which is what I want
    >> to do.

    >Just redirect the command line output to a file. In the command
    >prompt do
    >
    >dir /s /ad /b c:\ > c:\mydirs.txt
    >
    >Well actually that'll probably work at the run prompt.
    >
    >> I'd like the printout to show exactly the same columns as
    >> Windows Explorer.

    >Will this question be adding specifics on to it one at a time until
    >the end of time?
    >
    >> Any ideas on how to do that?

    >If you want it to look exactly like it would in explorer, you're gonna
    >have to indicate which of explorers several views you're using. And
    >then, you'd use the c:\mydirs.txt fiel above and import it into a page
    >layout program or a bitmap graphics program somehow, and put little
    >folder icons in then the directory names, and then probably have to
    >run a batch file to get folder modification times if you're talking
    >about explorer's detail view...
    >
    >Or maybe start from dir /s /ad /tw /n and massage from there.
    >
    >So, I've got ideas, but I have to be honest, I'm getting a little
    >irritated getting bits and pieces of your requirements one bit at a
    >time and you replying why the prior solution wasn't acceptable to you.
    >
    >It'd also have been helpful to understand why you have a requirement
    >for things to be output in just this way, but I've kinda lost
    >interest.
    >
    >Sorry.

    Thanks for all your help. I'm sorry that I irritated you. I really do
    appreciate the time you give to help dummies like me. When I said I
    wanted the output to be like Explorer, I was meaning the file sizes,
    dates and attributes but i guess I'll get those from the DI command.

    Again many thanks for your time & assistance

    Stu

  8. Re: Printing a Directory undar Win 2K Pro. (Thanks)

    penult@ntlworld.com wrote in

    > Thanks for all your help. I'm sorry that I irritated you. I
    > really do appreciate the time you give to help dummies
    > like me. When I said I wanted the output to be like
    > Explorer, I was meaning the file sizes, dates and
    > attributes but i guess I'll get those from the DI command.

    Probably too late - you're probably gone - but just in case:

    http://www.galcott.com

    First one on the page. Best I've seen.

    If you don't think it's worth the price, the serials can be
    found in the usual places. But you should support independent
    authors. Especially in this case - it is painfully obvious no
    one will EVER be able to print a directory using just MS
    Windows, and only with extreme pain from DOS.

    --
    There is no doubt that life is given us, not to be enjoyed, but
    to be overcome--to be got over.

    - Arthur Schopenhauer

  9. Re: Printing a Directory undar Win 2K Pro. (Thanks)

    On 18 May 2008 07:09:17 GMT, thanatoid
    wrote:

    >Probably too late - you're probably gone - but just in case:
    >
    >http://www.galcott.com
    >
    >First one on the page. Best I've seen.
    >
    >If you don't think it's worth the price, the serials can be
    >found in the usual places. But you should support independent
    >authors. Especially in this case - it is painfully obvious no
    >one will EVER be able to print a directory using just MS
    >Windows, and only with extreme pain from DOS.

    Just got back from a few days away and found this waiting for me. Just
    what I've been looking for. I can't thank you enough for your help.

    Stu

+ Reply to Thread