Older computer bogging down - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Older computer bogging down - Microsoft Windows ; I have an older PC running XP and it seems like it's getting slower and slower. I've formatted the HD and re-installed the OS and essential programs but still doesn't seem as quick as when I got it. I've tried ...

  1. Older computer bogging down

    I have an older PC running XP and it seems like it's getting slower
    and slower. I've formatted the HD and re-installed the OS and
    essential programs but still doesn't seem as quick as when I got it.
    I've tried new computers with Vista but even they are slower sometimes
    than my current PC! What should I do? Upgrade the hardware to my
    current PC? Buy a new computer and install XP so it runs faster? Would
    Linux run faster on it?

    Thanks for the help!

  2. Re: Older computer bogging down

    greyham433@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I have an older PC running XP and it seems like it's getting slower
    > and slower. I've formatted the HD and re-installed the OS and
    > essential programs but still doesn't seem as quick as when I got it.
    > I've tried new computers with Vista but even they are slower sometimes
    > than my current PC! What should I do? Upgrade the hardware to my
    > current PC? Buy a new computer and install XP so it runs faster? Would
    > Linux run faster on it?

    Linux probably would run faster but as it is about Windows and you've
    just reinstalled maybe you should check and stop (via msconfig or
    similar) all the junk that realy doesn't need to run in the background
    like MSN, Acrobat, Java update, Quick time etc

  3. Re: Older computer bogging down

    greyham433@hotmail.com wrote in
    oups.com:

    > I have an older PC running XP and it seems like it's
    > getting slower and slower. I've formatted the HD and
    > re-installed the OS and essential programs but still
    > doesn't seem as quick as when I got it. I've tried new
    > computers with Vista but even they are slower sometimes
    > than my current PC! What should I do? Upgrade the hardware
    > to my current PC? Buy a new computer and install XP so it
    > runs faster? Would Linux run faster on it?
    >
    > Thanks for the help!

    Upgrade to 98SE. You will have a speed demon.

    Linux will run on a 486, but I hope you realize it is a little
    more complicated to install and set up than Windows.

    --
    There is no doubt that life is given us, not to be enjoyed, but
    to be overcome--to be got over.

    - Arthur Schopenhauer

+ Reply to Thread