Win 98 better than XP or Vista? (USB Problem) - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Win 98 better than XP or Vista? (USB Problem) - Microsoft Windows ; Hi there I own an external USB HD with an 80 GB Fujitsu inside. It is formated with Fat32 and worked under all kind of Systems. I'm not sure about that, but once an IBM Thinkpad with XP hung while ...

  1. Win 98 better than XP or Vista? (USB Problem)

    Hi there

    I own an external USB HD with an 80 GB Fujitsu inside. It is formated
    with Fat32 and worked under all kind of Systems. I'm not sure about
    that, but once an IBM Thinkpad with XP hung while Picasa was deleting
    something. The folder seemed to been gone away, the rest was still
    there. Later I wanted to check the Drive, did it on an old 266er with
    Win98, a System which has all kind of patches on it. Since then, I
    can't read it anymore, except under Win 98... I tried on 3 Machines,
    using XP or Vista, just the old "airforce" Dell Notebook can read it
    and writes, the others want me to format the drive...

    Partition Magic 7 shows me under this win98 the following table (C: of
    course is the internal HD, the rest is the fujitsu):

    Part Type Size used unus prim/log Status
    C: FAT32 3500 2800 700 primär aktiv
    * Unallocated 7 0 0 primär none
    * Extended 76000 76000 0 primär none
    D: Unformated 76000 0 76000 logisch none

    You see? Even in Win98, PM 7 tells it is not formated. The
    unallocated, this is some kind of boot partition, no idea why this is
    there, at least under win98 it is not of use. Im not a win pro, no
    idea what this is. Anyone knows about that?

    Thanks

    Lucien

  2. Re: Win 98 better than XP or Vista? (USB Problem)

    > I own an external USB HD with an 80 GB Fujitsu inside. It is formated
    > with Fat32 and worked under all kind of Systems. I'm not sure about

    > can't read it anymore, except under Win 98... I tried on 3 Machines,

    perhaps windows98 is more forgiving. first thing I whould do is making a
    bakup of important things to dvd.

    > Partition Magic 7 shows me under this win98 the following table (C: of
    > course is the internal HD, the rest is the fujitsu):
    > Part Type Size used unus prim/log Status
    > C: FAT32 3500 2800 700 primär aktiv

    I'm not sure of partitionmagics output....
    ....but it says it contain one extend partition (why not a normal primary
    partition?) with a logic partition that it thinks is unformatted
    or some for partitionmagic unknown format, or error in its partition
    identifier
    or something wich perhaps win98 ignores? (there is some partition id
    modifying that perhaps not all os like, if it was just hidden-bit then
    win98 shouldn't have seen it, but linux whould have)

    > * Unallocated 7 0 0 primär none
    > * Extended 76000 76000 0 primär none
    > D: Unformated 76000 0 76000 logisch none

    you can allso boot on the GParted livecd and see what it says...

    --
    Använder Operas skitkassa e-postklient: http://www.opera.com/mail/

  3. Re: Win 98 better than XP or Vista? (USB Problem)

    I'm very sorry, I havent seen that an answer came, thought I setted
    Emailnotfication.

    I know something more: I've setted VMware on my new notebook,
    installed win98se, but this didn't helped. I putted on the inoff.
    Service Pack 2.1a, nothing. Then when I begun hours of copying over
    the stoneage computer to the new one, I saw the exe
    Win98US_USBSupport---Nusb.exe. I installed it, and it just saw now my
    usb drive as the fujtsu 2080, with somehow a driver for it, dont know
    if it just prints the name, anyway, I extraced the exe, the Readme
    says:

    Maximus Decim Native USB ver.3.1

    Only for Windows 98SE English !!!

    *Native (without installation of additional drivers
    for each type) support USB flash drives, digital
    photo and videocameras and other similar devices.
    *Universal Stack USB 2.0 (without installation
    of additional drivers for each chipsets)
    with uninstall.
    1.Remove ALL drivers USB flash drives.
    2.Remove ALL drivers USB 2.0 controllers.
    3.Remove ALL unknown devices.
    4.Install NUSB 3.1 and reboot.
    5.After detection new USB 2.0 controllers
    (if it will occur) too it is necessary to be reboot.

    Sorry for pasting all this, perhaps something is important. I see that
    this is a common package for win98 users of "today". There are reasons
    why I don't let it go until now, if someone knows something, please
    answer. These drivers seems to be better than the windrivers, but I
    have no idea how these things work, there is a lot of files in this
    package, you can get them on http://www.msfn.org/board/Maximum-De...rs-t43605.html
    for example... Is there nothing like that for Vista? Like this, every
    time when I have an USB issue, I will think on this nifty package for
    win 98, I mean, it is a bit strange that you need win98 on vista
    SP1... I was looking for something like this for vista, but never saw
    anything...

    Thanks for any replies.

    Lucien Peter

  4. Re: Win 98 better than XP or Vista? (USB Problem)

    On 21 Apr., 16:59, teebo wrote:
    > I'm not sure of partitionmagics output....
    > ...but it says it contain one extend partition (why not a normal primary
    > partition?) with a logic partition that it thinks is unformatted
    > or some for partitionmagic unknown format, or error in its partition *
    > identifier
    > or something wich perhaps win98 ignores? (there is some partition id
    > modifying that perhaps not all os like, if it was just hidden-bit then
    > win98 shouldn't have seen it, but linux whould have)

    > you can allso boot on the GParted livecd and see what it says...

    Thanks for all of your information. I come from Apple Computers, so I
    can need such advices. I will go into linux/BSD now of course, great
    what one can do with todays computers (booting from usb sticks, etc.);
    befor this one I had no computer newer than back in 2001...

    Bye and thanx again, GParted I will read about and try it soon.

+ Reply to Thread