Microsoft brand is in deep decline - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Microsoft brand is in deep decline - Microsoft Windows ; http://news.yahoo.com/s/macworld/200...insharpdecline Microsoft's brand power has been in sharp decline over the past four years, an indication the company is losing credibility and mindshare with U.S. business users, according to a recent study by market research firm CoreBrand. ADVERTISEMENT According to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

  1. Microsoft brand is in deep decline

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/macworld/200...insharpdecline

    Microsoft's brand power has been in sharp decline over the past four
    years, an indication the company is losing credibility and mindshare
    with U.S. business users, according to a recent study by market
    research firm CoreBrand.

    According to the CoreBrand Power 100 2007 study, which polled about
    12,000 U.S. business decision-makers, Microsoft dropped from number 12
    in the ranking of the most powerful U.S. company brands in 2004 to
    number 59 last year. In 1996, the company ranked number 1 in brand
    power among 1,200 top companies in about 50 industries, said James
    Gregory, CEO of CoreBrand.

    CoreBrand measures brand power using four criteria. It first rates the
    familiarity of a company's brand. Once a company has a certain level
    of familiarity, they are ranked according to three "attributes of
    favorability": overall reputation, perception of management and
    investment potential, Gregory said. While Microsoft's brand is still
    eminently recognizable, the company is declining in all three
    favorable attributes, he said.

    Gregory said that a decline in and of itself is not indicative that a
    company is losing its mindshare or reputation among
    customers. However, what's significant in Microsoft's case is that the
    decline has been consistent over a number of years, and has plunged
    dramatically in a brief time.

    "When you see something decline with increasing velocity, it's a
    concern," he said.

    Among its peers in the category of Computers, Peripherals and Computer
    Software, Microsoft is second to IBM in brand power, with Toshiba a
    close third, Gregory said. If Microsoft's downward trend continues,
    Toshiba could pass it in brand power next year, he said.

    Gregory could only speculate as to why Microsoft's reputation has been
    declining, since his firm does not ask people that specific
    question. He said the "underwhelming" response to Windows Vista might
    be one reason, and Apple's clever "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" advertising
    campaign -- which paints Windows in an unfavorable light -- may be
    another.

    IBM suffered a "much faster and more severe" decline in brand power in
    the early 1990s, Gregory said, and it took them 10 years to rebuild
    the brand's reputation. To stage a similar turnaround, Microsoft must
    have a clearer vision of the direction in which the company is headed
    and put forth leaders that people can trust to articulate that vision,
    he said.

    Microsoft, which has been diversifying its business beyond packaged
    software in the past several years, has struggled to articulate how
    the many facets of its business -- software, entertainment and online
    among them -- show a cohesive business plan. The company has been
    trying to clarify at least one of those strategies -- its online
    advertising business -- with new services and a bid to purchase
    Yahoo. However, Gregory suggested it may take more than that to raise
    the perception of its brand.

  2. Re: Microsoft brand is in deep decline

    Ignoramus17370 wrote:snip
    > Microsoft's brand power has been in sharp decline over the past four
    > years, an indication the company is losing credibility and mindshare

    snip

    I am not sure they are loosing business but I do think they may be
    loosing some credibility. I think that is Linux becomes fully
    supported by the hardware mfg and there becomes a standard installation
    routine that all of the packagers accept that Microsoft will become
    very aware quickly that their present way of doing business will have to
    change or they will be hurt in the pocketbook.

  3. Re: Microsoft brand is in deep decline

    Ignoramus17370 wrote:

    > According to the CoreBrand Power 100 2007 study, which polled about
    > 12,000 U.S. business decision-makers, Microsoft dropped from number 12
    > in the ranking of the most powerful U.S. company brands in 2004 to
    > number 59 last year. In 1996, the company ranked number 1 in brand
    > power among 1,200 top companies in about 50 industries, said James
    > Gregory, CEO of CoreBrand.

    Microsoft can't afford not to worry about Linux.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  4. Re: Microsoft brand is in deep decline

    measekite wrote:

    > I am not sure they are loosing business but I do think they may be
    > loosing some credibility. *I think that is *Linux becomes fully
    > supported by the hardware mfg and there becomes a standard installation
    > routine *that all of the packagers accept that Microsoft will become
    > very aware quickly that their present way of doing business will have to
    > change or they will be hurt in the pocketbook.

    It doesn't appear that Microsoft is capable of changing direction very
    quickly any longer. Too big and bloated. Think Titantic -- if it wasn't so
    big and unwieldy it probably could have avoided the iceberg.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  5. Re: Microsoft brand is in deep decline

    measekite wrote:

    > I am not sure they are losing business but I do think they may be
    > losing some credibility.

    They are losing both - "market penetration" of M$ in (for example) China is
    effectively zero. China is possibly the /biggest/ market on the planet.
    Now that Dell, HP, Asus and many other manufacturers have told M$ that
    they're not going to comply with the illegally restrictive marketing
    methods that M$ have hitherto employed.

    The biggest selling laptop on the planet right now (the Asus EEE) runs
    Xandros Linux. This was a deliberate decision - partly because it made the
    product much cheaper without the M$ licence, and partly because the Xandros
    OS just works better on that hardware.

    M$ have lost /any/ credibility they ever had - probably with the release of
    Windoze 2000 - when those of us "in the know" realised that it was the same
    old 1991 kernel with new eyecandy added on top. XP was found to be the
    same thing yet again, and Vista just took XP and added DRM.

    Vista has been shown to be totally unsuitable for any serious business use
    (there goes 60% of their market) and has the same old vulnerabilities,
    instabilities and outrageous price.

    Even M$ admit that Vista's a dog, and have brought forward the release
    of "Windows 7" by two years. /This/ version will be largely "bought in",
    as M$ no longer employ any useful programmers - their staff are great at
    meetings, but incapable of doing any real, useful work. M$ are having to
    buy in the kernel, HAL, I/O and much of the rest of the core of the
    OS. /Many/ companies have refused to assist M$ at /any/ price!

    C.

  6. Re: Microsoft brand is in deep decline

    ____/ RonB on Saturday 29 March 2008 06:09 : \____

    > Ignoramus17370 wrote:
    >
    >> According to the CoreBrand Power 100 2007 study, which polled about
    >> 12,000 U.S. business decision-makers, Microsoft dropped from number 12
    >> in the ranking of the most powerful U.S. company brands in 2004 to
    >> number 59 last year. In 1996, the company ranked number 1 in brand
    >> power among 1,200 top companies in about 50 industries, said James
    >> Gregory, CEO of CoreBrand.

    > Microsoft can't afford not to worry about Linux.

    They will face the fact that software gradually becomes a commodity. It's
    already the case with 'Web databases' and CMSs, for instance.

    Microsoft will have to drop the "soft" from the brand and try to evolve with
    something like "Zune" (Oh lordy!).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | GPL - Global Programmer's Law
    run-level 2 2008-03-19 11:51 last=

  7. Re: Microsoft brand is in deep decline

    Ignoramus17370 wrote:

    > IBM suffered a "much faster and more severe" decline in brand power in
    > the early 1990s, Gregory said, and it took them 10 years to rebuild
    > the brand's reputation. To stage a similar turnaround, Microsoft must
    > have a clearer vision of the direction in which the company is headed
    > and put forth leaders that people can trust to articulate that vision,
    > he said.

    What's wrong with Monkey Boy as the leader? Wouldn't you buy something from
    this guy?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL4hyATkQ74

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

    Q: What OS is built for lusers?
    A: Which one requires running lusermgr.msc to create them?

  8. Re: Microsoft brand is in deep decline

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Microsoft will have to drop the "soft" from the brand and try to evolve with
    > something like "Zune" (Oh lordy!).

    M$ will never catch the iPod.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    There are more Baroque musicians than any other kind.

  9. Re: Microsoft brand is in deep decline

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 14:16:56 GMT, Wes Groleau wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Microsoft will have to drop the "soft" from the brand and try to evolve with
    >> something like "Zune" (Oh lordy!).

    > M$ will never catch the iPod.

    And where are all these Linux based iPod-like devices we keep hearing
    about?

    The Linux loons keep telling us they are iPod killers....

    Where are they hiding?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  10. Re: Microsoft brand is in deep decline

    measekite wrote:

    > I think that is Linux becomes fully
    > supported by the hardware mfg and there becomes a standard

    another daydreamer...

  11. Re: Microsoft brand is in deep decline

    On 2008-03-29, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 14:16:56 GMT, Wes Groleau wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> Microsoft will have to drop the "soft" from the brand and try to evolve with
    >>> something like "Zune" (Oh lordy!).

    >> M$ will never catch the iPod.

    > And where are all these Linux based iPod-like devices we keep hearing
    > about?

    I have one and it works very well. It is called Cowon A3 movie
    player. To be more precise, it is my wife's, as I do not watch
    movies. It works great and does not require any software, it looks
    like a USB drive to the host computer.

    My major opposition to iPod is that it requires installing Apple
    spyware.

    When I bought it, I had no idea that it was linux based, it was just a
    birthday present. The only tip that it was linux, was a GPL disclosure
    at the end of the manual and the fact that it played all movie file
    types.

    > The Linux loons keep telling us they are iPod killers....
    >
    > Where are they hiding?

  12. Re: Microsoft brand is in deep decline

    "Ignoramus10476" stated in post
    LbadnQUXqZHcR3PanZ2dnUVZ_jKdnZ2d@giganews.com on 3/29/08 5:09 PM:

    > On 2008-03-29, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> M$ will never catch the iPod.

    >> And where are all these Linux based iPod-like devices we keep hearing
    >> about?

    > I have one and it works very well. It is called Cowon A3 movie
    > player. To be more precise, it is my wife's, as I do not watch
    > movies. It works great and does not require any software, it looks
    > like a USB drive to the host computer.
    >
    > My major opposition to iPod is that it requires installing Apple
    > spyware.

    Spyware? What spyware?

    --
    Never stand between a dog and the hydrant. - John Peers

  13. Re: Microsoft brand is in deep decline

    Ignoramus10476 writes:

    > On 2008-03-29, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> M$ will never catch the iPod.

    >> And where are all these Linux based iPod-like devices we keep hearing
    >> about?

    > I have one and it works very well. It is called Cowon A3 movie
    > player. To be more precise, it is my wife's, as I do not watch
    > movies. It works great and does not require any software, it looks

    Aha. So you know nothing about it. But it's "great". And your ability to
    compare and contrast with similar devices is ? .... Oh yes. You do not
    use it.

    > like a USB drive to the host computer.

    Aha. So basic connectivity.

    > My major opposition to iPod is that it requires installing Apple
    > spyware.

    I see ..... *nurse meds please*.

    --
    Nothing says "I enjoy living with you" like the gift of
    3rd degree burns...

  14. Re: Microsoft brand is in deep decline

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 19:09:37 -0500, Ignoramus10476 wrote:

    > On 2008-03-29, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> M$ will never catch the iPod.

    >> And where are all these Linux based iPod-like devices we keep hearing
    >> about?

    > I have one and it works very well. It is called Cowon A3 movie player.
    > To be more precise, it is my wife's, as I do not watch movies. It works
    > great and does not require any software, it looks like a USB drive to
    > the host computer.
    >
    > My major opposition to iPod is that it requires installing Apple
    > spyware.

    Actually, you don't have to instal any Apple software to use an iPod
    under Linux.

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: Microsoft brand is in deep decline

    Wes Groleau wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Microsoft will have to drop the "soft" from the brand and try to
    >> evolve with
    >> something like "Zune" (Oh lordy!).

    > M$ will never catch the iPod.

    Who wants to?

  16. Re: Microsoft brand is in deep decline

    > > M$ will never catch the iPod.
    > Who wants to?

    Zune - Microsoft obviously want(ed) to.

  17. Re: Microsoft brand is in deep decline

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > And where are all these Linux based iPod-like devices we keep hearing
    > about?

    I've got two of them right here in front of me. Made by Commodore. Get a
    clue!

    C.

  18. Re: Microsoft brand is in deep decline

    On 2008-03-30, Hadron wrote:
    > Ignoramus10476 writes:

    >>> And where are all these Linux based iPod-like devices we keep hearing
    >>> about?

    >> I have one and it works very well. It is called Cowon A3 movie
    >> player. To be more precise, it is my wife's, as I do not watch
    >> movies. It works great and does not require any software, it looks

    > Aha. So you know nothing about it. But it's "great". And your ability to
    > compare and contrast with similar devices is ? .... Oh yes. You do not
    > use it.

    Why, I saw it working.

    >> like a USB drive to the host computer.

    > Aha. So basic connectivity.

    Yep. Try doing that with an ipod.

  19. Re: Microsoft brand is in deep decline

    Colin Wilson wrote:
    >>> M$ will never catch the iPod.

    >> Who wants to?

    > Zune - Microsoft obviously want(ed) to.

    well, perhaps its time for computing to fork off, into the toy market
    versus a stable application platform for professional users.

    I,,e, 'home entertainment centers' 'portable entertainment centres' and
    'machines that actually allow 3rd party apps to run, and do so stably
    and reliably'

    Neither Microsoft nor apple are really concentrating on the latter, are
    they?

  20. Re: Microsoft brand is in deep decline

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 13:50:18 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

    >>> Who wants to?

    >> Zune - Microsoft obviously want(ed) to.

    > well, perhaps its time for computing to fork off, into the toy market
    > versus a stable application platform for professional users.

    It did fork off into a toy market....It's called Windows(what ever).

    --
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast