I picked up an ASUS EEE 4g and I'm quite pleasantly surprised.

The EEE is not one of the most robust versions of Linux I've ever
dealt with, but with 512 meg of RAM and 4 G of storage, (with the
ability to use high density SD Flash), it does provide the best
features of an Ipod, an Iphone, and a PDA with the power of a good
laptop.

The keyboard is slightlly cramped at only 7 inches wide, and it took
me a little digging to find out how to get the terminal up and set the
dvorak keyboard. The ergonomics is almost perfect for the Dvorak
keybeard, but the right shift key takes a little getting used to.

Unlike the OLPC, which has little "button" keys, the EEE has keys more
like those you would get on a thinkpad, just slightly smaller.

On the other hand, wifi set up was very easy using the wifi tool, and
it was also possible to set up my wpa security for my private hub.

I even found out how to install the drivers for a USB Cellular modem,
and once I did the modprobe, it showed up as a modem on my network
setup. I was connected on my first try.

The nice thing is that you can change it up and carry it like a small
novel. I was able to use it at the doctor's office, and it's even
small enough that you can use it while you are riding in coach. I did
find that using a magazine or notebook did make it easier to type.

I'm using the EEE to type this report.

Although the operating system is Linux, the software accessible via
the GUI is a bit sparse. A few simple games, open offfice is nice,
and some nice media viewers.

There was no GUI interface to get a terminal, but if you press Ctrl-
Alt-T, you can get the command line interface, and then you have full
access to all the power of Linux.

The mouse button is actually a "Bar", and I have found that to get the
"Center Button" effect, which is used as a universal "paste", I had to
push both sides of the bar concurrently. Attempts to push the center
of the bar produced unpredictable results.

My biggest complaint is that it's too much like Windows. Linux has
some great user interfaces, including GNOME and KDE, but these weren't
even options.

There is an automated download and update service, but not much
support for software that isn't already installed on the PC.

The great thing is that this is a good "use anywhere" device, and yet
you don't have to deal with cheezy thumb-able "keyboard" such as the
ENV.

The EEE also has 3 USB ports strategically placed so that you don't
give up the other ports if you plug in a network or cellular device.
It also had no problem identifying thum drives, as well as external
USB drives (and can boot from a USB drive if you like).

Right after I ordered it, I heard that ASUS was coming out with a 9"
version with a bit more memory, and possibly with Windows, but I'm
very happy with what I got.