No desktop, no start button, no task bar, but everything works - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on No desktop, no start button, no task bar, but everything works - Microsoft Windows ; Vista Home Basic Upon restart, I get only a Windows Explorer window open on a black background. I can navigate anywhere and therefore start FireFox or anything else. But as I said, there is no task bar or start button. ...

  1. No desktop, no start button, no task bar, but everything works

    Vista Home Basic

    Upon restart, I get only a Windows Explorer window open on a black
    background. I can navigate anywhere and therefore start FireFox or
    anything else. But as I said, there is no task bar or start button.
    Control + Escape doesn't get the menu. Window + R doesn't get the Run
    box. system restore has no previous restore points.

    I called Everex (that's the brand) tech support, and the tech wants me
    to reinstall Vista. I told her, I'd try some less radical approach
    first. She was mistaken on some other matters that I knew about, so I
    don't trust her judgment.

    So, does anybody have any ideas?

    --
    Nehmo

  2. Re: No desktop, no start button, no task bar, but everything works

    wrote in message
    > Vista Home Basic
    >
    > Upon restart, I get only a Windows Explorer window open on a black
    > background. I can navigate anywhere and therefore start FireFox or
    > anything else. But as I said, there is no task bar or start button.
    > Control + Escape doesn't get the menu. Window + R doesn't get the Run
    > box. system restore has no previous restore points.
    >
    > I called Everex (that's the brand) tech support, and the tech wants me
    > to reinstall Vista. I told her, I'd try some less radical approach
    > first. She was mistaken on some other matters that I knew about, so I
    > don't trust her judgment.
    >
    > So, does anybody have any ideas?

    Are you saying that you *can* navigate anywhere or not?

    Try making a new user profile, and log into that. If that one works okay,
    just delete the old one.

    ss.

  3. Re: No desktop, no start button, no task bar, but everything works

    "Synapse Syndrome" wrote in message

    > Are you saying that you *can* navigate anywhere or not?
    >
    > Try making a new user profile, and log into that. If that one works okay,
    > just delete the old one.

    I still think that making a fresh user profile may be the best solution, but
    if you can open Task Manager, can you start a new process, explorer.exe?

    ss.

  4. Re: No desktop, no start button, no task bar, but everything works

    Hi,

    Try this: Click start and type REGEDIT, then hit to open the
    registry editor. Expand the keys at left by clicking the plus (+) signs to
    reach this key:

    Click on this key and locate the 'shell' string in the right pane. Double
    click it, replace the contents with just

    explorer.exe

    Click ok, then close the registry editor and reboot the machine.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    wrote in message
    > Vista Home Basic
    >
    > Upon restart, I get only a Windows Explorer window open on a black
    > background. I can navigate anywhere and therefore start FireFox or
    > anything else. But as I said, there is no task bar or start button.
    > Control + Escape doesn't get the menu. Window + R doesn't get the Run
    > box. system restore has no previous restore points.
    >
    > I called Everex (that's the brand) tech support, and the tech wants me
    > to reinstall Vista. I told her, I'd try some less radical approach
    > first. She was mistaken on some other matters that I knew about, so I
    > don't trust her judgment.
    >
    > So, does anybody have any ideas?
    >
    > --
    > Nehmo

  5. Re: No desktop, no start button, no task bar, but everything works

    On Mar 12, 5:31 am, "Rick Rogers" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Try this: Click start and type REGEDIT, then hit to open the
    > registry editor. Expand the keys at left by clicking the plus (+) signs to
    > reach this key:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    >
    > Click on this key and locate the 'shell' string in the right pane. Double
    > click it, replace the contents with just
    >
    > explorer.exe
    >
    > Click ok, then close the registry editor and reboot the machine.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,
    >
    > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help -www.rickrogers.org
    > My thoughtshttp://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
    >
    > wrote in message

    > > Vista Home Basic

    > > Upon restart, I get only a Windows Explorer window open on a black
    > > background. I can navigate anywhere and therefore start FireFox or
    > > anything else. But as I said, there is no task bar or start button.
    > > Control + Escape doesn't get the menu. Window + R doesn't get the Run
    > > box. system restore has no previous restore points.

    > > I called Everex (that's the brand) tech support, and the tech wants me
    > > to reinstall Vista. I told her, I'd try some less radical approach
    > > first. She was mistaken on some other matters that I knew about, so I
    > > don't trust her judgment.

    > > So, does anybody have any ideas?

    > > --
    > > Nehmo

    The current contents of that key is: Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\Config
    \csrss.exe
    Is that normal?

    As Synapse Syndrome suggested, I started a new task in Task Manager,
    explorer.exe, and it worked. I haven't rebooted yet. I thinking I
    should make this registry edit first.

    --
    Nehmo

  6. Re: No desktop, no start button, no task bar, but everything works

    On Mar 12, 10:50 am, girlsi...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Mar 12, 5:31 am, "Rick Rogers" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > Try this: Click start and type REGEDIT, then hit to open the
    > > registry editor. Expand the keys at left by clicking the plus (+) signs to
    > > reach this key:

    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

    > > Click on this key and locate the 'shell' string in the right pane. Double
    > > click it, replace the contents with just

    > > explorer.exe

    > > Click ok, then close the registry editor and reboot the machine.

    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,

    > > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > Windows help -www.rickrogers.org
    > > My thoughtshttp://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

    > > wrote in message

    > > > Vista Home Basic

    > > > Upon restart, I get only a Windows Explorer window open on a black
    > > > background. I can navigate anywhere and therefore start FireFox or
    > > > anything else. But as I said, there is no task bar or start button.
    > > > Control + Escape doesn't get the menu. Window + R doesn't get the Run
    > > > box. system restore has no previous restore points.

    > > > I called Everex (that's the brand) tech support, and the tech wants me
    > > > to reinstall Vista. I told her, I'd try some less radical approach
    > > > first. She was mistaken on some other matters that I knew about, so I
    > > > don't trust her judgment.

    > > > So, does anybody have any ideas?

    > > > --
    > > >Nehmo

    > The current contents of that key is: Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\Config
    > \csrss.exe
    > Is that normal?
    >
    > As Synapse Syndrome suggested, I started a new task in Task Manager,
    > explorer.exe, and it worked. I haven't rebooted yet. I thinking I
    > should make this registry edit first.
    >
    > --Nehmo

    The regedit was successful. Everything is normal now. Thank you.

    But now, what happened? I was installing a trial version of Office
    2007, and I remember being asked for csrss.exe to be in the start up.
    I consented. During the problem, I noticed two instances of csrss
    running in task manager.
    --
    Nehmo

  7. Re: No desktop, no start button, no task bar, but everything works

    Hi,

    Not sure why it happened, or why it was inserted in that location, but it's
    wrong. Glad to hear it's fixed.

    --

    wrote in message
    > On Mar 12, 10:50 am, girlsi...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> On Mar 12, 5:31 am, "Rick Rogers" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi,

    >> > Try this: Click start and type REGEDIT, then hit to open the
    >> > registry editor. Expand the keys at left by clicking the plus (+) signs
    >> > reach this key:

    >> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    >> > NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

    >> > Click on this key and locate the 'shell' string in the right pane.
    >> > Double
    >> > click it, replace the contents with just

    >> > explorer.exe

    >> > Click ok, then close the registry editor and reboot the machine.

    >> > --
    >> > Best of Luck,

    >> > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft
    >> > MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> > Windows help -www.rickrogers.org
    >> > My thoughtshttp://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

    >> > wrote in message

    >> The current contents of that key is: Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\Config
    >> \csrss.exe
    >> Is that normal?
    >>
    >> As Synapse Syndrome suggested, I started a new task in Task Manager,
    >> explorer.exe, and it worked. I haven't rebooted yet. I thinking I
    >> should make this registry edit first.
    >>
    >> --Nehmo

    > The regedit was successful. Everything is normal now. Thank you.
    >
    > But now, what happened? I was installing a trial version of Office
    > 2007, and I remember being asked for csrss.exe to be in the start up.
    > I consented. During the problem, I noticed two instances of csrss
    > running in task manager.
    > --
    > Nehmo

  8. Re: No desktop, no start button, no task bar, but everything works

    On Mar 12, 7:26 pm, "Rick Rogers" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Not sure why it happened, or why it was inserted in that location, but it's
    > wrong. Glad to hear it's fixed.

    Let me ask a question to clear some things up:
    Windows Explorer is the file browser that is part of Windows, in my
    case, Windows Vista.
    Explorer.exe is the Windows shell, and it resides in C/Windows. It
    makes the task bar, start button, and I previously thought it made the
    file browser too.
    Apparently, the file browser and the shell are not the same. I was
    getting an open file browser window, but nothing else.

    So if I was getting this file browser why wasn't the rest of
    explorer.exe working?

    --
    Nehmo

  9. Re: No desktop, no start button, no task bar, but everything works

    Hi,

    The problem is the registry entry, it was loading more than just
    explorer.exe. In this case, it was loading:

    Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\Config\csrss.exe

    which was failing causing explorer to not be able to load the desktop shell.
    Why the entry got corrupted is more the issue, but I've seen several
    different things cause it - mostly shell enhancement programs.

    --

    "Nehmo" wrote in message
    > On Mar 12, 7:26 pm, "Rick Rogers" wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Not sure why it happened, or why it was inserted in that location, but
    >> it's
    >> wrong. Glad to hear it's fixed.

    > Let me ask a question to clear some things up:
    > Windows Explorer is the file browser that is part of Windows, in my
    > case, Windows Vista.
    > Explorer.exe is the Windows shell, and it resides in C/Windows. It
    > makes the task bar, start button, and I previously thought it made the
    > file browser too.
    > Apparently, the file browser and the shell are not the same. I was
    > getting an open file browser window, but nothing else.
    >
    > So if I was getting this file browser why wasn't the rest of
    > explorer.exe working?
    >
    > --
    > Nehmo

+ Reply to Thread