VLC media player problem - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on VLC media player problem - Microsoft Windows ; VLC playback hangs (the app doesn't hang, but the playback does) for certain videos if they're played back at a high enough speed. For some videos playback will hang at 4x speed. For a large fraction it will hang at ...

  1. VLC media player problem

    VLC playback hangs (the app doesn't hang, but the playback does) for
    certain videos if they're played back at a high enough speed. For some
    videos playback will hang at 4x speed. For a large fraction it will hang
    at 8x speed. For each video, whether it will or not at a given speed is
    consistent on repeated playbacks, and if it hangs at 4x speed it will
    hang at 8x speed.

    I've disabled all skip late frames etc. type options and it doesn't make
    any difference. If it's not frame skipping (or if it is skipping frames
    despite being told not to) then it's a bug.

    It seems to me that if it has trouble displaying a higher resolution
    video at the selected speed, then it should sacrifice framerate rather
    than completely freeze playback.

    It's also the case that although this behavior is correlated with the
    video's dimensions, it's not strictly predictable from it. I have small
    videos (<240x160) that hang at 8x speed and other somewhat larger
    (~320x240) that don't, for example.

    Is this a known problem and is there a known workaround or fix?

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  2. Re: VLC media player problem

    Phil Cartwright wrote in

    Sadly, there is very little discussion of the Windows release of VideoLan
    Client in usenet newsgroups. Suggest you check out the various
    options at http://www.videolan.org/support/index.html
    Best of luck.

  3. Re: VLC media player problem

    Mark Blain wrote:
    > Phil Cartwright wrote in
    >
    > Sadly, there is very little discussion of the Windows release of VideoLan
    > Client in usenet newsgroups. Suggest you check out the various
    > options at http://www.videolan.org/support/index.html
    > Best of luck.

    I don't see any that don't require disclosing an email address and
    possibly registering.

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  4. Re: VLC media player problem

    Phil Cartwright wrote:
    > Mark Blain wrote:
    >> Sadly, there is very little discussion of the Windows release of VideoLan
    >> Client in usenet newsgroups. Suggest you check out the various
    >> options at http://www.videolan.org/support/index.html
    >> Best of luck.

    > I don't see any that don't require disclosing an email address and
    > possibly registering.

    Error: Incorrect response.

    The expected response was: An option that doesn't require exposing
    myself to spam.
    The actual response was: No response.

    Action taken: Repeat message.

    I don't see any that don't require disclosing an email address and
    possibly registering.

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  5. Re: VLC media player problem

    Phil Cartwright writes:

    > Phil Cartwright wrote:
    >> Mark Blain wrote:
    >>> Sadly, there is very little discussion of the Windows release of VideoLan
    >>> Client in usenet newsgroups. Suggest you check out the various
    >>> options at http://www.videolan.org/support/index.html
    >>> Best of luck.

    >> I don't see any that don't require disclosing an email address and
    >> possibly registering.

    > Error: Incorrect response.
    >
    > The expected response was: An option that doesn't require exposing
    > myself to spam.
    > The actual response was: No response.
    >
    > Action taken: Repeat message.
    >

    > I don't see any that don't require disclosing an email address and
    > possibly registering.

    How bout creating a throwaway aol, hotmail, or yahoo mail account and
    registering for that forum with it like the rest of us do?

    Valid though it may be, there's really no point bemoaning the atrophy
    of usenet.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  6. Re: VLC media player problem

    Todd H. wrote:
    > Phil Cartwright writes:
    >>Phil Cartwright wrote:

    >>>I don't see any that don't require disclosing an email address and
    >>>possibly registering.

    >>Error: Incorrect response.
    >>
    >>The expected response was: An option that doesn't require exposing
    >>myself to spam.
    >>The actual response was: No response.
    >>
    >>Action taken: Repeat message.
    >>

    >>I don't see any that don't require disclosing an email address and
    >>possibly registering.

    > How bout creating a throwaway aol, hotmail, or yahoo mail account and
    > registering[snip]

    Error: Incorrect response.

    The expected response was: An option that doesn't require exposing
    myself to spam.
    The actual response was: An option that does, and then involves extra
    hoop jumping to dodge the spam after the fact, instead.

    Action taken: Repeat message.

    I don't see any that don't require disclosing an email address and
    possibly registering.

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  7. Re: VLC media player problem

    Phil Cartwright writes:

    > Todd H. wrote:
    >> Phil Cartwright writes:

    >>>Error: Incorrect response.
    >>>
    >>>The expected response was: An option that doesn't require exposing
    >>>myself to spam.
    >>>The actual response was: No response.
    >>>
    >>>Action taken: Repeat message.
    >>>

    >>>I don't see any that don't require disclosing an email address and
    >>>possibly registering.

    >> How bout creating a throwaway aol, hotmail, or yahoo mail account and
    >> registering[snip]

    > Error: Incorrect response.
    >
    > The expected response was: An option that doesn't require exposing
    > myself to spam.
    > The actual response was: An option that does, and then involves extra
    > hoop jumping to dodge the spam after the fact, instead.
    >
    > Action taken: Repeat message.
    >

    > I don't see any that don't require disclosing an email address and
    > possibly registering.

    Error: Incorrect response

    Action recommended: self fornicate

    Entitlement minded usenet posters piss me off.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  8. Re: VLC media player problem

    Todd H. wrote:
    > Phil Cartwright writes:
    >
    >>Todd H. wrote:

    >>>How bout creating a throwaway aol, hotmail, or yahoo mail account and
    >>>registering[snip]

    >>Error: Incorrect response.
    >>
    >>The expected response was: An option that doesn't require exposing
    >>myself to spam.
    >>The actual response was: An option that does, and then involves extra
    >>hoop jumping to dodge the spam after the fact, instead.
    >>
    >>Action taken: Repeat message.
    >>
    >>I don't see any that don't require disclosing an email address and
    >>possibly registering.

    > Error: Incorrect response
    >
    > Action recommended: self fornicate
    >
    > Entitlement minded usenet posters piss me off.

    Error: Incorrect response.

    The expected response was: An option that doesn't require exposing
    myself to spam.
    The actual response was: Completely irrelevant and content-free.

    Action taken: Repeat message.

    I don't see any that don't require disclosing an email address and
    possibly registering.

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  9. Re: VLC media player problem

    Phil Cartwright writes:

    > Todd H. wrote:
    >> Phil Cartwright writes:

    >>>Error: Incorrect response.
    >>>
    >>>The expected response was: An option that doesn't require exposing
    >>>myself to spam.
    >>>The actual response was: An option that does, and then involves extra
    >>>hoop jumping to dodge the spam after the fact, instead.
    >>>
    >>>Action taken: Repeat message.
    >>>
    >>>I don't see any that don't require disclosing an email address and
    >>>possibly registering.

    >> Error: Incorrect response
    >> Action recommended: self fornicate
    >> Entitlement minded usenet posters piss me off.

    > Error: Incorrect response.
    >
    > The expected response was: An option that doesn't require exposing
    > myself to spam.
    > The actual response was: Completely irrelevant and content-free.
    >
    > Action taken: Repeat message.
    >

    > I don't see any that don't require disclosing an email address and
    > possibly registering.

    And it seems you won't.

    Action suggested: Quit whining/repeating in hopes of a different one.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  10. Re: VLC media player problem