File association misbehavior -- "Open File -- Security Warning" - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on File association misbehavior -- "Open File -- Security Warning" - Microsoft Windows ; This is a strange one. I have VLC and Winamp on this system. To stop video playback from clobbering the playlist in Winamp, I installed VLC to use for video playback, and told it to only grab video file associations. ...

  1. File association misbehavior -- "Open File -- Security Warning"

    This is a strange one. I have VLC and Winamp on this system. To stop
    video playback from clobbering the playlist in Winamp, I installed VLC
    to use for video playback, and told it to only grab video file
    associations. Next time I used Winamp, it grabbed the video file
    associations back. When I then went to use a video, it opened in Winamp.
    I found and disabled an option for it to grab file associations. Then I
    manually ran VLC and looked in it for an option to grab file
    associations without reinstalling it, but apparently there is none.

    So I right clicked various video files and hit "Open With...", picked
    VLC and checked "Always use this program to open this type of file".

    Now, however, every time I double click any video file I get an "Open
    File -- Security Warning" popup. It seems to be acting as if I clicked a
    link to the file on the Internet in Internet Exploder, rather than
    double clicked a file on my own hard drive.

    How can I disable this behavior for files that are actually local? Why
    does using the Open With menu item to reassociate a file type make it
    start treating files of that type as if they were being opened from a
    remote web site in IE?

    It's like getting a preview of what it will be like when I next need to
    upgrade and I get stuck with Vista and its security manager popups!

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

  2. Re: File association misbehavior -- "Open File -- Security Warning"

    Phil Cartwright wrote:
    > Now, however, every time I double click any video file I get an "Open
    > File -- Security Warning" popup. It seems to be acting as if I clicked a
    > link to the file on the Internet in Internet Exploder, rather than
    > double clicked a file on my own hard drive.

    Seems to be a Microsoft misfeature that afflicts any reassociation of
    file types. Supposedly it should only affect files downloaded with IE,
    files received through Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger, links clicked in
    IE, or attachments received with OE, but it ends up affecting every file
    of a type, preexisting or new, instead if you reassociate the file type
    with a different application. The only way to fix it on XP Home seems to
    be to right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Environment
    Variables, New (user variables), "SEE_MASK_NOZONECHECKS" in the upper
    box and "1" in the lower box. This disables the protection from
    newly-downloaded attachments and suchlike, however.

    --
    There's only four things you can be certain of: taxes, change, spam, and
    death.

+ Reply to Thread