Drawing red line over a window - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Drawing red line over a window - Microsoft Windows ; I have an app displaying records in a form. In this app, a user can't just delete a record, but he must respect a retention time for obsolete data. So first, he must mark the record for deletion and after ...

  1. Drawing red line over a window

    I have an app displaying records in a form. In this app, a user can't
    just delete a record, but he must respect a retention time for
    obsolete data. So first, he must mark the record for deletion and
    after the retention time has expired, he is allowed to actually delete
    the record. Until this time, the record is still visible in the
    system.

    Now the customer, wants me to clearly identify these "marked for
    deletion" to the user, by drawing a huge red diagonal cross over the
    window where the obsolete record is displayed. How do I do this with
    the GDI? The WS_CLIPCHILDREN style of the window keeps the cross line
    from appearing on the child windows. How can I tell windows to ignore
    this and simply draw the lines over the child windows?

  2. Re: Drawing red line over a window

    peter.laman@gmail.com writes:

    > I have an app displaying records in a form. In this app, a user can't
    > just delete a record, but he must respect a retention time for
    > obsolete data. So first, he must mark the record for deletion and
    > after the retention time has expired, he is allowed to actually delete
    > the record. Until this time, the record is still visible in the
    > system.
    >
    > Now the customer, wants me to clearly identify these "marked for
    > deletion" to the user, by drawing a huge red diagonal cross over the
    > window where the obsolete record is displayed. How do I do this with
    > the GDI? The WS_CLIPCHILDREN style of the window keeps the cross line
    > from appearing on the child windows. How can I tell windows to ignore
    > this and simply draw the lines over the child windows?

    Hi Peter,

    This isn't a programming newsgroup, and you haven't specified what
    language you're writing in (If I had to infer based on context and GDI
    mentions, we're talking Visual C++?). It's not even entirely clear
    whether you're the developer of the application in question?

    A better-constrained question posted to a newsgroup that focuses on
    the language you're dealing with would likely get you better answers.
    Most days, this is a general Windows user-oriented group.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Drawing red line over a window

    peter.laman@gmail.com wrote in news:12466088-b07b-45b1-b512-88f17d2e9884
    @s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

    > I have an app displaying records in a form. In this app, a user can't
    > just delete a record, but he must respect a retention time for
    > obsolete data. So first, he must mark the record for deletion and
    > after the retention time has expired, he is allowed to actually delete
    > the record. Until this time, the record is still visible in the
    > system.
    >
    > Now the customer, wants me to clearly identify these "marked for
    > deletion" to the user, by drawing a huge red diagonal cross over the
    > window where the obsolete record is displayed. How do I do this with
    > the GDI? The WS_CLIPCHILDREN style of the window keeps the cross line
    > from appearing on the child windows. How can I tell windows to ignore
    > this and simply draw the lines over the child windows?

    This group is too general. Find a microsoft.public.* newsgroup for your
    programming language. The list at the bottom of this page might help:
    http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Progra...isual_C%2b%2b/

+ Reply to Thread