wireless - I can reach the router, but nothing else - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on wireless - I can reach the router, but nothing else - Microsoft Windows ; I have this problem all the time. I am having this problem on two seperate LANs right now. I have two computers that connect to the wireless router. Computer A connects via cable, computer B connects wirelessly. Other than that, ...

  1. wireless - I can reach the router, but nothing else

    I have this problem all the time. I am having this problem on two
    seperate LANs right now.

    I have two computers that connect to the wireless router. Computer A
    connects via cable, computer B connects wirelessly. Other than that,
    the setups are identical both use dhcp, the subnets are identicle:
    192.168.2.x. There is no wep, everything is wide open. Computer B
    shows a strong connection, and can ping the router with no problem, I
    can even log into the router with computer B.

    Computer A works with no problem. Computer B can reach the router, but
    nothing else. ipconfig shows the router as the dhcp server, dns
    server, and gateway. Both A and B have appropriate IP addresses.

    This happend to me all the time. What is going on?

  2. Re: wireless - I can reach the router, but nothing else

    walterbyrd writes:
    > I have this problem all the time. I am having this problem on two
    > seperate LANs right now.
    >
    > I have two computers that connect to the wireless router. Computer A
    > connects via cable, computer B connects wirelessly. Other than that,
    > the setups are identical both use dhcp, the subnets are identicle:
    > 192.168.2.x. There is no wep, everything is wide open. Computer B
    > shows a strong connection, and can ping the router with no problem, I
    > can even log into the router with computer B.
    >
    > Computer A works with no problem. Computer B can reach the router, but
    > nothing else. ipconfig shows the router as the dhcp server, dns
    > server, and gateway. Both A and B have appropriate IP addresses.
    >
    > This happend to me all the time. What is going on?

    Other than "something's wrong" it's hard to say. You seem to have
    elminated a lot of question marks by verifying the same dns server and
    gateway, and that security is disabled.

    Now the question is whether something's wonky with the access point's
    handling or wireless clients, or the networking stack of computer B,
    or perhaps the wireless card of computer B. I've seen machines that'd
    ping like this but not do much else. In once case the wireless module
    in the computer itself was to blame.

    To narrow things down further, the next thing I'd do is plug computer
    B in with a wired connection (moving the computer if needed) and see
    what happens. If it works, that narrows things down a wee bit more.
    If it doesn't work you know you have an OS level issue of some sort on
    computer B.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: wireless - I can reach the router, but nothing else

    Can the computers ping each other?
    To shares files over a network you must have file sharing enabled and the firewall on each PC must be configured to allow access from the other PCs on the network.

    walterbyrd wrote:

    > I have this problem all the time. I am having this problem on two
    > seperate LANs right now.
    >
    > I have two computers that connect to the wireless router. Computer A
    > connects via cable, computer B connects wirelessly. Other than that,
    > the setups are identical both use dhcp, the subnets are identicle:
    > 192.168.2.x. There is no wep, everything is wide open. Computer B
    > shows a strong connection, and can ping the router with no problem, I
    > can even log into the router with computer B.
    >
    > Computer A works with no problem. Computer B can reach the router, but
    > nothing else. ipconfig shows the router as the dhcp server, dns
    > server, and gateway. Both A and B have appropriate IP addresses.
    >
    > This happend to me all the time. What is going on?

    --
    Mike Walsh

  4. Re: wireless - I can reach the router, but nothing else

    On Jan 10, 12:35 pm, Mike Walsh wrote:
    > Can the computers ping each other?
    > To shares files over a network you must have file sharing enabled and the firewall on each PC must be configured to allow access from the other PCs on the network.

    Yes the computer can ping each other. I am mainly trying to get
    internet access for computer B.

    This is happening with two different lans. One uses an older belkin
    wireless router, the other uses a newer zexel wireless router. In both
    cases, the network used to work. Then one day it stopped working. I
    have made sure that firewall is turned off on all the xp machines.

    I have heard this can be caused by viruses or virus protection
    software, I will have to look into that. First I will try to connect
    computer B vis cable.

    Thanks for all the help.

+ Reply to Thread