XP 'Stalls' after booting and logging in - Help! - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on XP 'Stalls' after booting and logging in - Help! - Microsoft Windows ; Hi there everyone. I'm currently trying to help my friend with her Toshiba laptop. It's a 'Tecra S2' for what it's worth, running XP. Basically, upon logging in XP loads as normal, brings up the desktop/task bar etc, and then.... ...

  1. XP 'Stalls' after booting and logging in - Help!

    Hi there everyone.

    I'm currently trying to help my friend with her Toshiba laptop. It's a
    'Tecra S2' for what it's worth, running XP.

    Basically, upon logging in XP loads as normal, brings up the
    desktop/task bar etc, and then....

    Nothing.

    The mouse pointer still moves, but no clicks (left OR right) are
    recognised.

    No keystrokes seem to be recognised either. Ctrl-Alt-Delete does
    nothing.

    Now, I've tried booting in safe mode and this produces a somewhat usable
    system. I can run msconfig.exe and have attempted rebooting after
    disabling all startup items. This seems to have no effect on the
    problem though.

    This problem affects *both* user accounts, and the machine is
    essentially unusable.

    Attempting to boot using 'Last Known Good Configuration' has no effect
    either.

    If it's of any use, the last task completed on this machine was the
    importing of a couple of albums worth of music into iTunes, which it did
    without any troubles.

    Now, I haven't had a great deal to do with Windows previously, so I'm
    wondering:

    Is there anything in the way of a Disk repair/diagnostic utility as part
    of the OS, eg the Windows equivalent of something like 'fsck' in unix?

    What other options should I try with msconfig?

    FWIW, I'm happy enough running stuff from the command line too.

    ANY help is appreciated with this one, I've really got no idea how both
    user accounts could be ruined by simply rebooting.

    Cheers,
    Andy.

  2. Re: XP 'Stalls' after booting and logging in - Help!

    Andy wrote:
    > Hi there everyone.
    >
    > I'm currently trying to help my friend with her Toshiba laptop. It's a
    > 'Tecra S2' for what it's worth, running XP.
    >
    > Basically, upon logging in XP loads as normal, brings up the
    > desktop/task bar etc, and then....
    >
    > Nothing.
    >
    > The mouse pointer still moves, but no clicks (left OR right) are
    > recognised.
    >
    > No keystrokes seem to be recognised either. Ctrl-Alt-Delete does
    > nothing.
    >
    > Now, I've tried booting in safe mode and this produces a somewhat usable
    > system. I can run msconfig.exe and have attempted rebooting after
    > disabling all startup items. This seems to have no effect on the
    > problem though.
    >
    > This problem affects *both* user accounts, and the machine is
    > essentially unusable.
    >
    > Attempting to boot using 'Last Known Good Configuration' has no effect
    > either.
    >
    > If it's of any use, the last task completed on this machine was the
    > importing of a couple of albums worth of music into iTunes, which it did
    > without any troubles.
    >
    > Now, I haven't had a great deal to do with Windows previously, so I'm
    > wondering:
    >
    > Is there anything in the way of a Disk repair/diagnostic utility as part
    > of the OS, eg the Windows equivalent of something like 'fsck' in unix?
    >
    > What other options should I try with msconfig?
    >
    > FWIW, I'm happy enough running stuff from the command line too.

    Windows has Chkdsk instead of fsck, but don't use it yet because if the
    hard drive is failing, data can be lost. If your friend has neglected to
    back up her data, do it now by booting with Knoppix. I'm sure you know
    how to do this, but here are general instructions just in case:

    *****
    You will need a computer with two cd drives, one of which is a cd/dvd-rw
    OR a usb thumb drive with enough capacity to hold your data OR an
    external usb/firewire hard drive formatted FAT32 (not NTFS). To get
    Knoppix, you need a computer with a fast Internet connection and
    third-party burning software. Download the Knoppix .iso and create your
    bootable cd. Then boot with it and it will be able to see the Windows
    files. If you are using the usb thumb drive or the external hard drive,
    right-click on its icon (on the Desktop) to get its properties and
    uncheck the box that says "Read Only". Then click on it to open it. Note
    that the default mouse action in the window manager used by Knoppix
    (KDE) is a single click to open instead of the traditional MS Windows'
    double-click. If you want to burn CD/DVDs, use the K3b program.

    http://www.knoppix.net
    *****

    Once the data is safely retrieved, run a hard drive diagnostic with a
    diagnostic utility downloaded from the drive mftr.'s website. You will
    create a bootable CD with the file you download. You will need
    third-party burning software to do this such as Roxio, Nero, or the free
    CDBurnerXP Pro.

    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/ (or of course you can use whatever burning
    program you've got in *nix as long as it can burn .iso's)

    Boot with the CD you made and do a thorough test of the drive. If it
    fails any physical tests, replace it.

    If the hardware tests good, go back into Windows and do two things:

    1. Look in Event Viewer for clues. Start>Run>eventvwr.msc [enter]
    2. Run a System Restore to when the computer worked.
    Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore

    If this is more work than you want to do and/or you aren't skilled in
    working with Windows, your friend should take the machine to a
    professional computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of
    BigComputerStore/GeekSquad).

    Post back if you need more help.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

  3. Re: XP 'Stalls' after booting and logging in - Help!

    Andy wrote:
    > Hi there everyone.
    >
    > I'm currently trying to help my friend with her Toshiba laptop. It's
    > a 'Tecra S2' for what it's worth, running XP.
    >
    > Basically, upon logging in XP loads as normal, brings up the
    > desktop/task bar etc, and then....
    >
    > Nothing.
    >
    > The mouse pointer still moves, but no clicks (left OR right) are
    > recognised.
    >
    > No keystrokes seem to be recognised either. Ctrl-Alt-Delete does
    > nothing.
    >
    > Now, I've tried booting in safe mode and this produces a somewhat
    > usable system. I can run msconfig.exe and have attempted rebooting
    > after disabling all startup items. This seems to have no effect on
    > the problem though.

    The first thing that came into my head on reading your post was an
    inversion of the mouse/kb plugs.

    Just and idea but simple enought to check.

  4. Re: XP 'Stalls' after booting and logging in - Help!

    "John of Aix" wrote in message
    > Andy wrote:
    >> Hi there everyone.
    >>
    >> I'm currently trying to help my friend with her Toshiba laptop. It's
    >> a 'Tecra S2' for what it's worth, running XP.

    the problem though.

    > The first thing that came into my head on reading your post was an
    > inversion of the mouse/kb plugs.
    >
    > Just and idea but simple enought to check.

    It's a laptop

  5. Re: XP 'Stalls' after booting and logging in - Help!

    Onsokumaru wrote:
    > "John of Aix" wrote in message
    >> Andy wrote:
    >>> Hi there everyone.
    >>>
    >>> I'm currently trying to help my friend with her Toshiba laptop. It's
    >>> a 'Tecra S2' for what it's worth, running XP.

    > the problem though.
    >
    >> The first thing that came into my head on reading your post was an
    >> inversion of the mouse/kb plugs.
    >>
    >> Just and idea but simple enought to check.
    >>

    > It's a laptop

    Ah yes, sorry, I didn't notice. In that case it would be very hard
    indeed to invert them :-)

  6. Re: XP 'Stalls' after booting and logging in - Help!

    Andy wrote:
    > Hi there everyone.
    >
    > I'm currently trying to help my friend with her Toshiba laptop. It's a
    > 'Tecra S2' for what it's worth, running XP.
    >
    > Basically, upon logging in XP loads as normal, brings up the
    > desktop/task bar etc, and then....
    >
    > Nothing.
    >
    > The mouse pointer still moves, but no clicks (left OR right) are
    > recognised.
    >
    > No keystrokes seem to be recognised either. Ctrl-Alt-Delete does
    > nothing.
    >
    > Now, I've tried booting in safe mode and this produces a somewhat usable
    > system. I can run msconfig.exe and have attempted rebooting after
    > disabling all startup items. This seems to have no effect on the
    > problem though.

    First, what kind of Antivirus program are you running (Norton, McAfee,
    etc)? A few ideas:

    - You might be able to run the standard virus check by doing a boot of
    the Antivirus installation CD.
    - Boot into safe mode, download and run a RootKit virus detector from
    McAfee.
    - Boot into safe mode and use Boot Logging. You might see a driver or
    something that's causing the problem. From Win XP Help -- "Starts while
    logging all the drivers and services that were loaded (or not loaded) by
    the system to a file. This file is called ntbtlog.txt and it is located
    in the %windir% directory. Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, and
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt add to the boot log a list of all the
    drivers and services that are loaded. The boot log is useful in
    determining the exact cause of system startup problems."
    > This problem affects *both* user accounts, and the machine is
    > essentially unusable.
    >
    > Attempting to boot using 'Last Known Good Configuration' has no effect
    > either.

    A few more ideas:

    - Have you installed any software recently? Perhaps your iTunes program
    has a bug or virus. You might be able to revert to a recent Checkpoint
    using System Restore (?).
    - I've seen this kind of problem when incompatible drivers try to share
    interrupts.
    - I've also had problem with the _order_ that drivers are installed upon
    booting... But that kind of problem is a real pain to find.
    > If it's of any use, the last task completed on this machine was the
    > importing of a couple of albums worth of music into iTunes, which it did
    > without any troubles.
    >
    > Now, I haven't had a great deal to do with Windows previously, so I'm
    > wondering:
    >
    > Is there anything in the way of a Disk repair/diagnostic utility as part
    > of the OS, eg the Windows equivalent of something like 'fsck' in unix?
    >
    > What other options should I try with msconfig?
    >
    > FWIW, I'm happy enough running stuff from the command line too.
    >
    > ANY help is appreciated with this one, I've really got no idea how both
    > user accounts could be ruined by simply rebooting.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Andy.

    Good Luck -- Keith

+ Reply to Thread