Correct Driver on Soundblaster SB Live? - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Correct Driver on Soundblaster SB Live? - Microsoft Windows ; I have received a used Gateway system I am fixing up for my neice. It originally had Windows Millenium in it but that OS was damaged due to viruses and worms. I have no recovery disks. I have wiped the ...

  1. Correct Driver on Soundblaster SB Live?

    I have received a used Gateway system I am fixing up for my neice.

    It originally had Windows Millenium in it but that OS was damaged due
    to viruses and worms. I have no recovery disks.

    I have wiped the drive and installed a licensed version of Windows
    2000 and it is working OK. I managed to install IE6 and SP4 for W2k
    and all security updates through present.

    I am having some problems with the sound system which is a Boston
    Acoustics BA7500G. Thi sis a 3-speaker digital ssound system.

    I am wondering what the correct driver would be for the sound card.

    All I can determine is that it is a Soundblaster SB Live! type.

    It operates as a regular sound card but has a switchable check box in
    the Audio Properties panel to turn on digital sound. I have tried a
    generic driver and it is working fair at present.

    My problem is that the Boston Acoustics web site has no information.

    When I went to the Creative web site for Soundblaster drivers it
    offers several and there is no information anywhere on which is right.

    I believe this was a standing Gateway config with the Boston Acoustics
    sound system but so far no data.

    Any suggestions for a better or proper driver?

    DMK

  2. Re: Correct Driver on Soundblaster SB Live?

    On Mon, 21 May 2007 19:01:22 GMT, "D. Kirkpatrick" wrote
    in (!) comp.os.ms-windows, microsoft.public.win2000.setup,
    microsoft.public.win2000.multimedia, microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,
    microsoft.public.win2000.applications:

    [snip]
    >It operates as a regular sound card but has a switchable check box in
    >the Audio Properties panel to turn on digital sound. I have tried a
    >generic driver and it is working fair at present.
    >
    >My problem is that the Boston Acoustics web site has no information.

    [snip]

    I don't quite understand. You say "it is working fair" so what exactly
    is the problem?

    BTW, what kind of information relevant to your soundcard do you expect
    from you speakers' manufacturer's website?

  3. Re: Correct Driver on Soundblaster SB Live?

    In article ,
    Michael Bednarek wrote:

    > I don't quite understand. You say "it is working fair" so what exactly
    > is the problem?
    >
    > BTW, what kind of information relevant to your soundcard do you expect
    > from you speakers' manufacturer's website?

    Re: working fare...

    When received with W-Me running (barely) there was a complete control
    panel and numerous features within.

    I noticed that by changing some settings ther ewere variations in the
    sound quality with respect to the centre shared speaker in attempts to
    create a surround sound effect.

    When I was forced to wipe the drive and install W2K, the driver I
    installed - or for that matter any package I tried - made the speakers
    work, but the control factors of that control panel was gone.

    The panel was installed and would pop down fromt eh top much like MS
    Office's bar comes in from the side or where ever you dock it
    presuming one uses that feature.

    Re: mfgr site...

    It appears the Boston Acoustics BA7500-G came as an OEM add-in in a
    Gateway bundle. Boston Acoustics web site seems to acknowledge this
    but offers no drivers. As such I was forced to look at
    Creative/Soundblaster and Gateway for solutions.

    Creative's site wasn't very helpful and offered a dozen or more
    possible drivers. Gateway's actually brought me down to 3 possible
    models - 2 of which used the same driver. I compared the text of the
    two and only one had drivers for W2K that dealt with digital audio.
    That is the one I downloaded and which si working now.

    Not sure if the missing control panel is anywhere to be had. Might be
    another add-on that was OEM.

+ Reply to Thread