Need advice: General question about MS-Windows and trojans - Microsoft Windows

This is a discussion on Need advice: General question about MS-Windows and trojans - Microsoft Windows ; If I were to purchase a brand new computer, with the latest version of MicroSoft Windows NT Professional, and all the usual software that goes with it (InterNet Explorer, Outlook Express, Active-X, J2EE, VB .NET, etc.), and I don't make ...

  1. Need advice: General question about MS-Windows and trojans

    If I were to purchase a brand new computer, with the latest version of
    MicroSoft Windows NT Professional, and all the usual software that goes
    with it (InterNet Explorer, Outlook Express, Active-X, J2EE, VB.NET,
    etc.), and I don't make any changes from the default configuration,
    except to enable JavaScript and Active-X and TCP/IP or PPP and connect
    the system to the InterNet via ComCast digital cable or high-speed DSL,
    is there any way that somebody elsewhere on the net could, without my
    authorization, penetrate my computer via some sort of worm/virus/trojan
    and thereby gain sufficient control over my computer as to make it send
    out unauthorized e-mail including copies of the worm/virus/trojan?

    (I'm sorry for the run-on sentence, but I couldn't find any good place
    to break it.)

  2. Re: Need advice: General question about MS-Windows and trojans

    anon1@sci.sci wrote in news:e661e$4543dfb1$c690c02a$24432@TSOFT.COM:

    > If I were to purchase a brand new computer, with the latest version of
    > MicroSoft Windows NT Professional, and all the usual software that
    > goes with it (InterNet Explorer, Outlook Express, Active-X, J2EE,
    > VB.NET, etc.), and I don't make any changes from the default
    > configuration, except to enable JavaScript and Active-X and TCP/IP or
    > PPP and connect the system to the InterNet via ComCast digital cable
    > or high-speed DSL, is there any way that somebody elsewhere on the net
    > could, without my authorization, penetrate my computer via some sort
    > of worm/virus/trojan and thereby gain sufficient control over my
    > computer as to make it send out unauthorized e-mail including copies
    > of the worm/virus/trojan?
    >
    > (I'm sorry for the run-on sentence, but I couldn't find any good place
    > to break it.)

    It depends if you have the holes fixed in things like media player or
    IE. That's why they have critical updates. Of course a *new* hole could
    appear also. Beware of wmv files BTW, they can take you to a web site
    and start IE automatically, and if you have Java enabled along with
    active scripting, *anything* could be run.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

+ Reply to Thread